Help for project!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BUnstable, Sep 23, 2009.

1. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    Hi BCers! I have a project for my last year in high school and what I wanted to do was to organise a demonstration/exhibition then I will also try to to a clinic.

So what I am asking for is if anyone knows what exactly is a demo, clinic, what we are supposed to do, what its purpose, how do we do it and all the things that concern these events.

Thanks a lot for your helps.

Bunstable.

#1 BUnstable, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well basically for an exhibition match you want to have some players playing some games so possible get some players to play singles as well as some players to play doubles so that it will be entertaining for people and they can sit court side and watch/cheer them on. the players obviously arnt trying to win the rally in 1 shot they want to showcase the match but at the same time there not trying to make it slow and unexciting either they want to be competitive for sure but the fun type of competitive there are some examples on youtube ill search for them and show you. you would want to get some club players or higher level players that can showcase the sport in the exhibition how you want it.

as for a clinic thats pretty different than a demo or exhibition in the sense that it would focus more so on skills and skill development so you would teach a shot and then the people in the clinic would try it out and you would coach them through it helping if there were problems kinda thing. where as the exhibition/demo is more so just showcasing your sport having players play a game and people watching being amazed.

hope that might shed a bit of light onto it im not saying thats the only way that you can do stuff for it i mean theres tons of things and ways its only limited by your imagination. im sure that many others will be able to add great things.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I agree with Smash master. If you're going for an exhibition match, you'll need some good players who can really showcase the sport. You don't want them ending rallies in one shot or with one smash, make sure you instruct them to keep it going for longer than normal and to attempt more spectacular/show-boating shots than they would in a competitive match.

Once again, my idea of a clinic is pretty much the same as Smash master's. A clinic should have a more serious (although not deadly serious) feel, people will go there to have fun but also to learn more about the sport and improve their game. You'd probably need to get someone to instruct the sessions - if you could get a coach or even an ex-pro, that would be ideal.

If you could find a way to get funding to do a whole badminton fun day, that would be awesome. You could have a couple of exhibition matches, get someone to run a skills clinic, perhaps have a tournament and then some kind of smashing competition or something. If you could give us some kind of idea of the scale of the event and how long it needs to run for, we could give you some ideas that would be more likely to work.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Heres a quick example of an exhibition game, its an international one with international players from canada, korea, etc so they are trying to keep it somewhat competitive but still really fun at the same time and you can see the audience enjoys it and loves it. There are tons more examples on there some are way more serious and they just want to win others are more fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo3tkcU5GAQ

5. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    Thanks a lot, but there is one problem is that we don't really have good player around... And it's sometime hard to have people to come to play in an exhibition. I don't have that much sources. That's why I have to be the demo person. It won't be as entertaining.

Plus, I need to find websites that have information that I can use, because we are obligated to have at least 10 sources (website, book, people) to inform you have your subjet, which in my case is badminton.

6. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    I don't plan to have fund raising as there are a lot of funding going on and I only expect to do exhibition during dinner break at school that is only 1 hour long. I may do a double match, a single match. I can't really imagine what else I can do for a demo as my skills are limited. Maybe I'll try to video record myself playing and post it to see what you can propose me to do.

For my project, I wanted to do just a simple demonstration for one or two dinner period, then let people know that I will have a clinic later on. I don't even know how long is a clinic supposed to be. I can maybe make it during our club training session for maybe a week (2 practices from around 7h to 10h pm) but for only 7h to 8h30 pm. I can ask my coach to make them practice the techniques or whatever.

Also, I will have the coaching formation level 1 on the beginning of october, so it would be a plus for my project to mention what I taught the kids and everything as I have to make a final report on how I managed to organise the event, what were my problems and so for a total of around 1000 or 2000 words... I don't remember. I forgot to mention that the even has to be done before Christmas.

7. QuebecHitter

QuebecHitter Regular Member

College Student
    Aha! This reminds me alot of a volunteer experience with the Salvation Army.
    We had a session of badminton introduction to many kids who are not aware of this sport and to at the same time promote exercising to stay healthy, there was a volenteer campaign for underpriviledged kids and what the organization did was to gather the volunteers who knows how to play badminton. The campaign was a very successful one. How about approaching a similar sort of organization for help?

Rgds-
    ;) Dave

8. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    Wow, that's a really good idea. But what did they actually do and how did they gather all the childs? And for how long did they do the volunteering?

9. QuebecHitter

College Student
    The Salvation Army is a very established organization and they have existed for quite some long while. They would normally have a volunteer bracket for youths who wish to participate and help out in sporting events. You can approach them by writing an email to them and they would usually have abundant sporting volunteers (badminton players) to help out. You can take such an opporutnity to intiate a launch of campaign to once again promote badminton while completing your project. great luck!

Rgds ;)
    Dave-

10. QuebecHitter

College Student