Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. l_i_a_m

l_i_a_m Regular Member

the one standing on the left side in the picture, wearing black shirt and white shorts, is that KKK? or is that ants?

2. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    I can't figure it out... the picture is small and almost pixelized... he maybe gasket ken koo... another player who tested the arcsaber z.. maybe someone can answer who that person is..

3. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Looks like it's another false test method where only the first few seconds after impact of the racket on the shuttle are measured.

This gives a completely misleading figure - AS MENTIONED MANY TIMES ON THIS THREAD - as the figures cannot be compared to other rackets (i.e. the purported 300KM + figure attributed to the Ti10 was reached using a totally different method (accepted as the CORRECT method) - read earlier in this thread). Using this alternative method, other rackets, dare I say even non-Yonex rackets (eek !!!), may actually generate higher speeds..

These figures are completely meaningless. Lets move on.

4. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Whoever the people are, they either work for Yonex, or desperately 'want' to work for Yonex.......... (tongue-in-cheek:rolleyes:).

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I noted Kenichi Tago was using the Z at Denmark Open today (against Anup Sridhar).. By the looks of it, it reinforces my view of the racket even more. Maybe he had a bad day but most cut/sliced powershots seemed stingless.. He won 21-17,21-16 but the win was more attributed to his quickness and that Anup did even more unforced errors :-D than any added power in his shots.. It is of course only the first round. So I hope we will se more of Tago and the Z later on :)

/T

6. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    I still like it....plus, it looks hot. :cool:

I still think you need to be attacking with it. As soon as you go namby-pamby things turn to poo pretty quickly, as I found out again tonight. :eek: Before that however I was lethal.

Honest.

No really.

:D

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Agreed :) it is a do or die racket :) I am abit schizofrenic about it as it is both superb and shitty, in the same racket :D

/T

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

It looks like it is ants.

9. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    I tried the ArcSaber Z slash, and personally,
    I was not impressed with the money : performance ratio it gives. For one - this racket is at least $220+ and power wise - it was brilliant, but with finer control and movements, it just doesn't seem to live up to the arcsaber standard of what I think it should've at least been. There are a couple of rackets our their that go for about half of that price, and would perform equally as good in the terms of the control and power balance. However I like it because of the awesome defensive and offensive capabilities and therefore think it would suit many people.
    Overall, I feel something is missing.
    Or maybe it's just me? haha.

10. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    agree with you all here. i feel that my netplay and placements of shots are probably down by 20% with the racket. at least i think so.

probably a bad idea to use it for doubles unless you're the back person all the time. would be a lethal weapon for singles though.

11. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    I wondering why YY never compare directly to their own offense racket like At700 or At900P (of course with same method) and publish the result..........;)

btw, @nutbad5981 thx for the link....now i'm cool again...:D

12. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    i wud be happy if i can smash over 250km/hr :D, never mind 414km/hr

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I have to agree. Too much hype about the racket, but it isn't that good like people say it is.

The racket does feel good in certain aspects of the game but the rest it is lacking as tried it personally. After a while, I switched back to my Arc7.

14. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    My new conclusion?? It's like using different shoes for different sports, now it's different racquets for different games. I don't mind it at all...Slash for singles and A900P for doubles...works for me!!

15. marathoner81

marathoner81 Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    I got my ArcZ last week. I love this racket! My smashes, drop shots and net plays were outstanding! Definitely, this is the best racket for me!

I own a NanoSpeed 9900 and NanoSpeed 7700.

16. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

Wow. Just over 1 month and there are 60+ pages of reviews and comments. I read it about once a week and the pages just keep growing. Love it!!!! Anyway, here’s my review after 8 hours of playtime in 3 sessions. I categorized my review by the topic discussed in this thread:

Previous Racquets Purchased (in chronological order, all are 3Us, I like to keep them the same weight class so I can really feel the differences among them):
    NS9000S/X (used for one year)
    NS7700
    AT900T (used for one year; previous favorite)
    ARC10
    ARC9 (for my wife but tried it as well)
    AT900P
    Ti-10 Gen III TW (used for one year; current favorite)
    NS9900

My Level of Play:
    Middle B in US Midwest & South
    Prob. Upper C in US Westcoast
    Prob. Middle C in Asia

Style of Play:
    I personally believe that a good racquet upgrade is one that can improve your weakness and still keep your strength. So, whether a new racquet is a good upgrade depends on your game and the area you would like to improve. When I made a transition from AT900T to Ti-10, I was an offensive player who had very powerful smashes but defense was on the weak end. So, I wanted better defense and quickness in exchange for minor lost of power, and that was exactly what I got. Now, my defense has improved and I have become more balanced as a player so I’m starting to look for power again. In other words, I have been waiting for Yonex to make an improved Ti-10 for a while.

Racquet Tested:
    ARC-Z (TW code, 3U/G5, BG-68Ti @ 23 lbs.)

Color:
    Initially when I first got the racquet, I thought it’s the ugliest thing in the world. However, after I wrapped it with a yellow supergrap, MANNNNN, IT LOOKS SHARP!!!! Couldn’t wait to get on the court because the racquet is so bright that no one can miss it.

Speed:
    When I first looked at the smaller racquet head, I thought my game would really suffer. When visually comparing to other ISO racquets you realize that it’s not that much smaller. At play the sweet spot feels slightly smaller. And the mishits are noticeably weak. But when I don’t think about it, I really don’t notice the difference. The headweight feels similar to the Ti-10, heavier than the NS9900, lighter than the ATs, and ever so slightly lighter than the ARC10. Swing is faster than the ATs, ARC10, and about the same as the Ti-10, and slightly slower than NS9900. The ARC-Z’s thinner/longer shaft and shorter grip attribute is exactly the same as the Ti-10. So I really did not have to adjust to this. The higher pitch whipping sound when swinging is a definitely a plus. The racquet swing is surprisingly faster than the feel of the headweight. Defense did not suffer when making the transition (unless I mishit it). Mishits I believe are personally problems, not the racquet.

Control:
    Control feels very much like my current racquet, Ti-10, with a smaller sweetspot. So once again, did not feel like I need to make that much adjustment. The shaft does feel flexi (but still closer to stiff than medium flex) so my netplay is very bouncy at the moment (sort of like my previous favorite, AT900T after I made the transition to the Ti-10). Just need to get used to it. Gotta keep remembering that this is a head heavier racquet that cuts thru the air fast. After all, I only put 8 hrs to it. May try to string w/ higher tension to compensate for control. Had some trouble keeping the pushes in bound as well. This is something that will take a while to adjust. So I’m trying to be patient with it.

Power:
    Wow!!! Agree with most reviewers, the smashes are powerful when the sweetspot is struck. Power is probably comparable to the AT-900s (I smash harder with the AT900T than the AT900P. Not enough strength I think). But racquet speed is much faster than all the ATs. Drives are amazing. Never thought that I can consistently drive with so much power that the shuttle goes out of bounds. My backhand has improved as well. Backhand drives are more powerful and faster, and backhand clears are so deep that it went out of bounds a few times.

Quick note on sweetspot:
    Should and will start another thread to this but I would like some feedback from the experience stringers in this forum (i.e., Mr. DinkALot aka “Panda”, etc.). I overheard from a pro tennis stringer that lesser tension on the crosses can give larger sweet spot. Anyone tried this? I purposely strung my ArcZ 22/22 lbs. just so it becomes 23/22 (add 1 lb. b/c the crosses tighten the mains when stringing). Maybe this is why the ArcZ’s smaller sweetspot did not seem like as big of a deal to me as some of the reviewers.

Yonex Pros:
    I’ll bet that the 2 Malaysian Doubles sensations Koo Kien Keat & Choong Tan Fook will make the transition to the ArcZ fairly quickly. Both are using the Ti-10s (although SP version) which is very similar to the ArcZ except more power.

Final Note:
    I probably will make the transition to the ArcZ because it feels like an improvement of the Ti-10 Gen III (TW). Especially for the fact that I feel more confident with my backhand (more powerful drives and clears). Smaller sweetspot and the bouncy netplays are things I will have to adjust to. But I believe they will eventually come to me (we will see). Definitely like the powerful smashes and the good racquet speed combo. I always wanted a racquet that has the defense, speed and balance of Ti-10 and the power of AT900s. I think this is it!!!

17. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Because you had acquired the proper techniques and strokes, that is why you will find that Arc Saber ZS is really a masterpiece.

I had completely switched from my AT-900T to Arc Saber ZS. Have been monitoring the forum everyday, waiting for someone else to sell me their ZS as my spare....

Thanks.

18. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    ヨネックスオープンジャパン2009 - Yonex Open Japan 2009

I was like what in the world is this? "Yonekkusuopunjapan 2009"?

Sorry nutbad, I had to do this...:D:D

But....I still enjoy my AT700 3rd Gen....

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Close enough :cool: :D
    /T

20. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

Sorry to quote myself, but am I right that you need upper level permission to start a thread? Maybe one of the moderator can do this, please? Maybe name it "Does less tension on crosses give you bigger sweetspot?" :)