how to improve doubles without changing your partner ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LD rules!, Oct 25, 2009.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

hi
    I have been playing doubles tournaments recently (used to concentrate only on singles) and when i played my last tournament i realised that we were not good enough by along way to do well in the tournament
    i want to progress a lot more in both singles and doubles and be good enough to win tournaments etc
    However,i dont feel that my partner wants to as much as i do and therefore have been trying to motivate him
    I felt that in our last match he severly underestimated our opponents (and i did to a wee bit) and therefore when they ended up beating us (21-13 21-16) it came as a big shock

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

so how would i go about improving without changing my partner ?
    Also i dont really know alot of other people that are at the level needed or that are in need of a partner

3. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

u can't, basic double strat is to bombing the weaker guy. No matter how great u r,u can't cover ur partner forever (especially in high lvl competition).

4. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Partners must communicate with each other to see how to work things out. Doubles is NOT singles, you can't tank everything, you'll simply end up killing yourself for the entire tournament. What you need to do is, play with your current partner and work on strategies by going to recreation centre or clubs to play and meet people who have experience in doubles. It's useful other than just improve individually.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Your guys can travel around gyms to play against different type of players to gain more practice and experience. However, that's under the assumption that both players want to put into effort and willing to do so.

If your partner simply does not want to improve or work out for whatever reason, I am afraid that changing a partner is the only way.

6. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    Communication is key - talk to each other and try to play each other into the game/rallies. Play some more doubles, so some drop in clubs where you are able to gain more experience in playing will be beneficial.

Also, it might be worth playing singles against your partner to help develop/hone their strengths and improve on their weaknesses. And it works both ways!

7. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    it's true...doubles is a tough tough thing..especially mixed too...if you odn't have a regular partner...nor if you have a committed partner with the same goals as you...it's best for you to leave them...no sense in making yourself better...except to attract better partners ;)...as stated, you can't cover your partner fully...and if you try, that'll be the weakness in your game...instead, find a partner who is committed...and work out how you can play to your strengths...and play it that way...it's like a marriage..lol