Rule Query - Reaching over the net

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by collinsc, Oct 26, 2009.

1. collinsc

collinsc Regular Member

Hi

Are you allowed to hit the shuttlecock by reaching over the net? (if you dont touch it).

tHANKS

2. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

You must contact the shuttle on your side of the net. However, you are allowed to follow through over the net.

3. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    wun.sun is correct, the relevant law is:

Law 13
    It shall be a 'fault':
    (13.4) if, in play, a player:
    (13.4.2) invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;

4. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Putting aside the complications with the actual rule being stated, in basic terms, the part of the racquet that the shuttle hits cannot be on the opponent's side of the net.

5. collinsc

collinsc Regular Member

Thanks very much - appreciated

6. rtc35

rtc35 New Member

I'm somewhat of a beginner looking for clarification on this statement:

...the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net...

My interpretation of this rule is that at the moment of contact, no part of the racquet may be over the net, even if the point of contact is on my own side of the net. However, the statement by TedTheFarmer 'the part of the racquet that the shuttle hits cannot be on the opponent's side of the net' sounds as if it's permissible that the tip of the racquet can be over the net so long as the point of contact isn’t. I’m making an assumption from this statement, but can somebody say for certain whether this assumption is correct? I’ve wondered about this since I began playing.

Thanks

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Your interpretation is correct, rtc35.

A long time ago when the game was slower than it is now, it used to be that the striker may only follow the shuttle over the net after the shuttle is no longer in play (ie. it has hit the ground or the opponent).

8. rtc35

rtc35 New Member

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks.