Does less tension on crosses give you a bigger sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by hubie214, Oct 21, 2009.

1. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

If possible, I would like some feedback from the experienced stringers in this forum (i.e., Mr. DinkALot aka “Panda”, etc.). I overheard from a pro stringer that lesser tension on the crosses can give larger sweet spot. Anyone tried this? I use the same tension for mains and crosses (so 22/22 will become 23/22 when you account for the mains being tighted by the crosses). Any research evidence? Thanks.;)

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It sounds plasuiable to me - in fact tennis and squash rackets are normally done with a 10% DECREASE for the crosses.

A theory - take with a pinch/spoon/bowl of salt:

If the mains and crosses are at the same tension, the crosses will deform less than the mains on each shot because they are SHORTER; the bounciness of the bed is thus limited by the crosses. Reducing the cross tension (possibly by whatever percentage the main and cross length differs by) will give the same "dynamic" tension as the mains, which is equivalent to the note produced by plucking them.

However, doing so would probably result in a distorted badminton frame...

3. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

Personal take:

1) from a badminton standpoint, i string it at 2 lbs higher on the crosses for frame equilibrium/stability. lesser on the crosses may crumple the frame earlier rather than later on some rackets specially after a 'mains' string breakage (specially at higher and ultra high tensions).

2) from a tennis standpoint, i string it the same way, at 2 lbs higher on the crosses (quite the opposite for 95% of the tennis players i play with) to raise the mains at 1 lb higher (although it doesn't FEEL a lb higher at all...taking into consideration slight tension loss initially after stringing even before playing) TO MAKE IT HOLD TENSION LONGER. however, i must say from experience that (badminton) string tension losses varies from string to string (yy's vectran braided strings holds and yy's ti coated strings losses tension faster; just to illustrate).

in direct answer to your query: i am not sure if it elongates the sweetspot higher if you were to string the crosses lower. thus, tnx for starting this thread, i am eager to learn from the string masters all the same.

cheers,
    MetalOrange

#3 MetalOrange, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From what I believe, I do not think that's a good idea to apply for badminton racket, as it's far more fragile than tennis racket. Personally, I will not risk a $200 racket, just to boost up the sweet spot by a fraction of an inch in theory. :rolleyes:

If you really need the "larger" sweetspot, maybe lower the overall tension by 1 or 2 lbs might be a much better and safer way.

5. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

thats not plausible or possible
    losing a few cross tension would probably move the sweet spot instead of changing size

#5 Deathsticks, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

Thanks for all the members who have provided their input thus far. My personal take is as followed:

I am currently stringing the mains and the crosses the same tension because:

1. YY recommends this for the more recent racquets (and most racquets I string are YYs).
    2. It will actually make the mains' tension slightly higher than the crosses after stringing (22/22 become 23(24)/22, depends on what theory you believe). So, if in case the theory for "lower tension on crosses" is correct, I sort of satisfied it already.
    3. I will only do this when the desired tension is within the range suggested by the manufacturer (e.g., 19-24 lbs. for NS9900, same for tennis racquets). This way, the racquets' warranty can still be in effect.
    4. For tension higher than factory specs., I probably will add the 5-10% on crosses to keep the integrity of the racquet. Plus, if you are a player who likes ultrahigh tension, you probably don't have a problem hitting the sweetspots during play.

By the way, I believe that stringing less overall tension will give you a softer sweetspot, but not necessarily larger. And I think if the strings are pulled evenly, the center of the sweetspot should never move. Less tension on crosses probably will increase the width (side-to-side) of the sweetspot. But maybe it decreases the length (head-to-shaft)?

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

WOW, there is a APB on the recommendation? I did not know that.
    Given 2 same model racquet. 1 strung at 20x22 and one at 22x22, (in theory) the first will have bigger sweet spot. If 1 at 20x22 and 2nd at 20x22, 2nd will have bigger sweet spot because the sweet spot is wider. If 1st is at 20x22 and 2nd is at 21x21, I think it is a wash or 2nd will be bigger but no significant difference.
    A safe call and correct.

8. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

APB? Not sure what that means. But my believe actually comes from one of the thread in this forum. More specifically, a demonstration that the suggested tensions for old Yonex racquets (e.g., old Ti) had a 1-2 lbs increase on crosses (for example, 17-20 for mains, 19-22 for crosses). However, for the newer models, YY does not specify tension difference between mains and crosses. This is why I say, "YY recommendation".

What's the difference between the two? Was it a typo?

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    all points bulletin (APB)? or is it something else?

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) All Point bulletin just like Peter the Great say. As far as I know Yonex stand is 10% more on cross is recommended. My feeling is 10% for any 2 pt machine while 6 pt machine you can go all the way down to even tension.
    2) Sorry, you are right. A typo. first 20x22. Second 20x20.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Personally, I never seen any official Yonex documents stays that all the newer models should have identical main vs. cross.

2. Even with in overall tension (spec), the ratio still needs to be reasonable. For example, most of 4 door sedan only indicates tire pressure needs to be below 30 or 32 psi. So, can I pump 3 tires to be 30, while leave the last one to be 5, and file a complain about the car manufacture, if the performance / safety getting into issues??? :rolleyes:

12. hubie214

hubie214 Regular Member

BTW, forgot to mention, I have a 6-pt electric table top (not a constant tension).