Pre-Stretch

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Kiloo, Nov 7, 2009.

1. druss

druss Regular Member

He meant a doorknob type shape attached to a fixed point. The doorknob, or pipe or other, would be put vertically (think door lying on the ground). The string is clamped on one end runs around the doorknob then back to the stringers tensioner.

2. Mwesty

Mwesty Regular Member

Does everyone here prestretch? I tend to do it only if I'm using a string out of a pack (an individual set) because they have a lot of coil memory. String from a reel (depending on the string) seems to have little coil memory and prestretching it won't make a great difference.

3. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

My understanding is that prestretching helps reduce tension loss after stringing. Although reducing coil memory is good if you stretch the string prior to stringing. I prestretch because it is just a easy press of a button for me, its there so I use it.

4. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, here is a feedback on the latest method: I pulled the string over something round and smooth and tacked and pulled as SH suggested. The travel length of my machine being about 8 inches is far from enough to actually pre-stretch the whole string all at once. :crying:

Anyway I managed to do it, though not totally satisfied,:( so i will improve next time. HOWEVER the upside is that the pre-stretched string is much straighter to work with and seems NOT to get tacked here and there due to coils, which have disappeared with the stretching.:D

Thanx all for your inputs
    K

5. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I have a heavy table, very very heavy table, so i wrapped a leg with a towel and used that, and positioned my machine in the next room 30 ft away and prestretched the whole string. It was very cool. My string job took an hour instead of nearly 2.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Read my Klippermate instruction. You will see how to pre-stretch with 1/2 distance.

7. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    hey guys not sure if i should ask here, but i use a drop weight, i pre-stretch using a doorknob. everything included it takes about approx 1.5 hours but double pulling...

Do any1 double pull if you pre stretch?

8. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    not sure what u mean by 'double-pull', but if anything I always pull the string TWICE at the ends, and/or before tying the knots.

9. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    double pull as in tension the string twice before the next grommet.

10. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    well now that i use the "pre-stretch" the whole string at once thing that SH mentioned, I only tension the string once.

before, i would double pull, the first time at the prestretch tension, the second at the tension i want.

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would use a starting clamp to prestretch. I tried it once with an A level player and he didnt like it said it felt kinda dead I used BG 80 prestretched by hand maybe 15%for 10 seconds 28 lbs. Does anyone feel like it loses playability? Curious on feedback how prestretched badminton string feels like. I prestretch tennis natural gut, but after that first test never felt it was necessary.

12. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    All I can say for this ONE I did is that the guy played and was happy and we (collectively as stringer and player) believe that the string (Yonex BG65) will not lose tension so soon. In more time we will know.