Playing in Los angeles

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Bluechalice, Aug 24, 2004.

1. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    Jon,

Where are you from?
    What's your level of play?
    Age?

U can always show up in SGVBC or ABC and join some of the players there.

2. rukawakun

rukawakun Regular Member

New Member Here.

Hi Guys,

I was born and raised in the Philippines, but I just came here like 4 months ago. I'm still adjusting from the climate here, being used on a tropical climate back home, and I think I'm doing a poor job at it. I was planning to enroll in 24-Hour Fitness or similar gyms but I think its better if I also (re)start my hobby which is Badminton. My level of play? I'd say I play more serious than just casual players but not quite a competitive one. I've been a representative in High School and College, so I can say that I play like a C Level at most. I live near downtown LA, along Wilshire and Lucas. I registered on this forum so I can get to know some fellow enthusiasts near my area so we can play too. I'd prefer somewhere near where I live, If y'all can help me with that. bluechalice, maybe we can play sometime, since we're like neighbors. That goes to the rest of the guys too. But, I'd really prefer we play near my place, me being a working student and all, and not having a care lol. So if you can suggest a place which is really near Downtown LA, we can schedule a date and play. Thanks guys. Btw, ascaris99 where do you usually play, maybe we can schedule and play sometime. Thanks again guys.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

rukawakun,
    please see post #16 for baddy places near downtown L.A.
    the closest full-time badminton club to your place will be @ SGVBC in El Monte. About 1/2 hr-45 minutes drive east from your place.
    I believe there is a Philippines Badminton club there. But i know there is also a pretty sizeable Philippines baddy club @ ABC (in Arcadia), which is much further from your place.
    There is another place in Monterey Park where you can play, @ East LA College, which has a baddy club.
    Going west-bound, there is the SMC baddy club out in Santa Monica College. They meet once a week on Sundays from noon til night time.
    Btw, welcome to SoCal and BCDF!:cool:

#23 ctjcad, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. rukawakun

rukawakun Regular Member

Thanks ctjcad for your quick and VERY informative reply. Appreciate it. I checked on SGVBC and ABC's websites and their facility seems very conducive for playing. I'm sure that regulars there are pretty friendly too. But what I'm really concerned of is how far it is from where I live. I dont have a car yet and it sucks having to ride two metro buses going to and from those facilities. I may be able to visit SGVBC this weekend, not to play, but just to look around. I'll also check if there are Badminton Court/s at Filipinotown, which is like 10mins from where I live. I will also check the places at Post#16 for those locations are also minutes away from my apartment. Thanks again ctjcad! Thanks for the welcome too, so far, I'm enjoying my stay here in SoCal.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

rukawakun,
    yes, unfortunately, public transport is not the best in the L.A. metro area. L.A. & SoCal is just too big and wide to travel to and fro. Buses are available but not much, if not take forever to reach a destination. Taxis are even rare and they could cost you an arm (not quite a leg). There are public trains (LRT), but unfortunately they don't travel to those 2 clubs (SGVBC and ABC). Essentially, one MUST have a personal car to travel around in L.A./SoCal; if not, then just consider one as "handicapped".
    Have you considered relocating to a city closer to the clubs (say San Gabriel, Temple City, Arcadia, Alhambra, Monterey Park, El Monte)??..those areas have more Asian population (stores, restaurants etc.)..
    Btw, there's another new full time baddy club worth mentioning, LABC (Los Angeles Badminton Club), which is also in the same vicinity as SGVBC.

#25 ctjcad, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. rukawakun

rukawakun Regular Member

ctjcad,
    I did figured that out, you cant access the whole SoCal area using public transportation. Moving? it's not an option right now for we are close to Downtown LA where me and my Mom works. It's also near the University where I study so it's not really an option right now, but thanks for suggesting those places. Hopefully I can buy a car before this year ends so I can play on those full-time club facilities like 3 times a week. Thanks and you've been really helpful ctjcad! Have a Great Weekend!

7. JingFojas

JingFojas Regular Member

anyone wants to play badminton every sunday @ Santa Monica college please message me Thanks.

8. mynet

mynet Regular Member

9. mynet

mynet Regular Member

East LA college probably the nearest place to play if you are in downtown

10. rukawakun

rukawakun Regular Member

Hi mynet,

tried the link, but its a bit confusing for me. I think its not working right at the moment. East LA College is still too far from my place. Ill go and check LACC tomorrow, which is pretty near. Ill also check Koreatown for small badminton courts/club for its pretty near where I live too. Thanks for the help you guys. For people near downtown LA, please send me a message if you want to play. lets stay fit!

11. baddyforfood

baddyforfood New Member

whoever is going to marvista tmrw i will be there! yayyyyy

12. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Marvista is only open Mondays and Wednesdays, i hope you didnt show up on friday :)

13. baddyforfood

baddyforfood New Member

Lol yeah I didn't go haha. Hopefully this Wednesday though.

14. wickeddrop

Ill be there tonight (Wednesday)...probably playing on the first court when it first opens.

15. wickeddrop

You end up goin last night? I was there...the bald headed guy :)

16. ben357

ben357 New Member

17. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

Hi I'm a beginner/intermediate player from Japan and will be doing business trip for 2 weeks in LA next year's February. Looking for drop-in clubs near or accessible from West Hollywood area, would like to look for something not too far as I'm not driving and would Uber or Lyft my way there , thanks! Will pack my gears if I could find any drop-in clubs to play and have fun with locals^^

18. Edmund D. Lim

Edmund D. Lim New Member

Hi.

My name is edmund and I'm 36. I'm from Singapore and I have been traveling quite a bit recently. Hence missing my regular beginner standard game.

I will be in LA on the 16-20. Is there by any chance that I can join any group in you venue?

Thanks!

19. wickeddrop

Hi Edmund,

I used to live in Singapore also...haha. The gym at mar vista is closed for renovations, however you can find some good games at San Gabriel Badminton club and Los Angeles Badminton Club the days you are here. Hope that helps you out.

20. beefheart

beefheart New Member

Hi there. Uk badminton player looking for competitive/league standard club play whilst I'm in LA on vacation from Jan 23-29th inc
    Staying in Zip 90038. Not sure what my access to transport will be - probably walk / public transport / uber etc.
    Can anyone recommend any clubs/open sessions I could attend as a visitor (with web link or email contact if poss)
    I'm only interested in feather shuttle play.
    Kind regards