What extra sport/training to improve badminton game?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kingskawn, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

I want to make a sport diet together with another sport or training like fitness.

What can you propose? What do you do to improve your badminton skills?

Right before badminton I did 35-40km each day. I had 2000km in almost 3 months.

Before that I did some body culture (fitness) and gained 10kg mass that I want to lose now. I weighed about 88kg and came from 78kg. Now I weigh 81 for 1m82 but I want to lose more and want to be quicker.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

running marathons is good for fitness, but for badminton some more explosive stuff would be nice.
    So if you did your running, but instead of running 30km at a "slow pace" (your heartrate is probably around the 130-140 bpm) you did 2-3 min runs at a higher pace (heartrate at 170-180) Interval training is what it's called in Holland.
    Other good exercises are Plyometrics, a lot of info on the web on those things.

3. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

Spinning is pretty insane as well. I usually do it for one hour and most of the time my puls is @ 180-200 (max being for me 215).

The great thing about spinning is how you can mix up programs so that one day you are climbing hills (GREAT legtraining and cardio) and the next you are sprinting (even better cardio + very badmintonrelevant)

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Personally if I had to choose another sport to supplement badmiton training I would choose martial arts, probably kung fu. This way I am still training strength, speed, endurance, flexibility and reflexes.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

5. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Well it's 30-35km each day to go to work but everyday a hour spinning too so I was in really good shape.
    When I played tennis I used to be explosive (like a sprinter) and I still got it but at a lower level. I'm not a skinny boned marathon guy.

6. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Kung-Fu as a supplement? I can't see the endurance in this sport. Maybe the pain to endure :D

7. Firedrive

Firedrive Regular Member

Project Manager - Hotel Logistic
    In Hong Kong, we have very good hiking trails. Hiking & running in some tough terrain is very good for the leg muscles and good for concentration & coordination as well.

The Chinese national squads are also doing regular "mountain" training.

8. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Mmm we don't have mountains here in Belgium. The highest spot is almost 700m high.
    Maybe touring with an MTB in the forest would be good. I also just bought a dvd with plyometric exercices.

9. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

I'd like to say fencing. it's a sport that requires really lightening fast reflexes and a lot of fast but controlled movement.

The point against it is that whearas racquets are designed to eliminate vibration, which causes tendonite (tennis elbow); when you're fencing, its just two pieces of iron hitting against each other, the weapons haven't changed in years, and every vibration goes straight to your elbow.

Otherwise a knowlegable coach would make you a weight lifting program designed with lightish weights and rapid movements.

Otherwise, well why not ballroom dancing? Rock n roll! Good for your stamina and you meet lots of sociable young ladies!

#9 Grotius, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Merci Grotius pour ces précieux conseils ;-) C'est vrai qu'un peux plus de gonzesses peuvent jouer au bad. Surtout les blondes à forte poitrine :p

Thanks Grotius for those precious tips. It's true that more (pretty) girls should play badminton as there aren't that much beauties playing :p

11. Grotius

Grotius Regular Member

Well, we're getting off topic a little, but I learned to dance years ago, a bunch of guys from the gym and we all decided to go to a dance class. It was one of the best moves I've ever made in all my life and worked absolute wonders for my social life! I'll tell you a secret; I travel a lot and I learned that in every ballroom, anywhere in the world, there are ALWAYS more women than men!

That said, badminton girls in those little short skirts, or shorts can be very distracting too!

12. abcdef200886

abcdef200886 Regular Member

plyometrics is excellent for badminton skills... improved speed, footwork etc... try it!

13. fnaibaf

fnaibaf Regular Member

I second fencing, lunging similarity, shortened response time, using an extension of your arm to catch the other person's weapon. All these bear similarity to badminton, probably would be able to help with your deception as well.

14. alexspencer

alexspencer Regular Member

you could do: long distance running, plyometrics for power, weights for strength, skipping (rope jumping), something like kung fu to help reactions

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I heard that Bruce Lee and Jacky Chan have a thing in common. They both play badminton as a supplement for their martial arts tranning

16. bh185008

bh185008 Regular Member

I heard that Bruce Lee and Jacky Chan have a thing in common. They both play badminton as a supplement for their martial arts tranning

Correct Yoppy, on a separate press conf, Jacky Chan and Jet Lee stated that they play badminton at least 3 times a week to practice their reflects and speed.

Another famous HK actor and actrees that play badminton are the late Leslie Cheung (even his badminton racket was also placed inside his coffin) and Sally Yeh (IBF Badminton Ambassador) - Sally Yeh mentioned that her all time favourite badminton player is Sigit Budiarto...:)

Double match - Sally Yeh, Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPGCRTQ6Cpc

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

nice video bh185008
    oh that was Jet Lee instead
    i wonder what was in TG head when he's partnering Sally Yeh :)
    i hope many more movie star can promote badminton

BTW: despite not wanting to expose your name on this forum, you sound very familiar i think i know who you are in fact if im not mistaken i can see your house window from where im typing now hahahaha....