Shuttle Striking A Non-Receiving Doubles Player During Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by abedeng, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if he caught it, isn't that considered touching the body?:rolleyes:

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough... what I meant was that the initial fault was when it hit his chest/abdomen. Only after that did he catch it, unintentionally by reflex, I suppose.

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I concur that Mogensen probably caught the shuttle by reflex after it hit him. His face showed it all. But then, this is not the good old days where gentlemenly players sometimes correct a mistaken call even if it is against them.

In the pro tour, I do not think that any player would claim for committing a fault. Not saying that this behaviour is bad sportsmanship, it is just competition where you neither give to nor expect any quarter from the opponent.

Anyway, it seems that if none of the court officials from umpire to service judge to line judge sees what happened, a LET decision it is ........

But could the service judge intervene to correct a call that is normally not within his sphere of influence (contact fault) if not consulted? As far as I know, Ms Fherghail (the umpire) did not specifically consult the service judge, only the line official looking at the centre line of the Danish court.

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJiWKnpxDMU&feature=PlayList&p=E500B184D132A35D&index=6

Simply put, this is undisputedly and unfortunately a case where malaysia had the pt won; but the umpire's excuse of 'I didn't see it' is legitimate to warrant a Let.

If you want to fault anyone it would have to be the umpire, not for a wrong decision but for these 4 words --- 'i didn't see it' cos she must have been blind to not see it. ( and she had to say it loud through the mic too) lol

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Looking at the video again, the umpire actually pulled out the yellow card on KKK when he asked for the referee! Talk about abuse of power!

Also, on closer viewing, the ump was looking down at her paper when the incident happened and only looked up when KKK yelled out, so she actually did not see it happen.

Also, right after TBH hit CM with the serve, TBH immediately put up his hand to apologize to CM and started to head towards the back of his court, thinking that he's lost his point!

#45 visor, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. DivingBirdie

student
    A gesture of apology from tbh is plausible, but i cannot conclude from your observation that tbh headed back, thinking he'd lost the point.

And another question pertaining to the lawbook, if there were another "I didn't see it" situation in the future, would it be valid to pass a decision based on the big-screen replay??

7. visor

visor Regular Member

If I recall correctly, most professional sports do not allow second guessing of the umpire or officials via live big screen replay, except for tennis determining whether in or out.Thinking back on this particular point, I'm pretty sure that if this had happened in Malaysia Open, the ump would have been booed off her chair, since it was obvious to everyone in the stadium what had happened except her because she was too busy scribbling something down.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

Actually, both hockey and pro football allow challenges back to video footage. Not sure on other sports though.

9. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics
    I believe that in tennis, each side has 3 challenges ( pse dont quote this as its only what I have heard)

I am a great believer that if TV coverage is available, then badminton should adopt the " 3 challenges " ruling..

10. druss

druss Regular Member

From what I remember, tennis has 3 challenges per set and 1 more in a tie break. Many professional sports use instant replay if not exactly a formal challenge system. Car races will use them to determine a winner (who crossed the line first) and basketball uses them to see whether a shot was released before or after the buzzer.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in this case, a simple video playback which is readily available can resolve the dispute.

12. DivingBirdie

student
    Exactly...if there is no rule banning 'second guessing' from replays, the ump's 'i didn't see it' argument would be weakened to the extent of non-validity!

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, probably the IBF will slowly catch up with today's available technology, just like in other sports eg. tennis, hockey, etc.

But that doesn't hide the fact that this ump failed her job miserably for failing to pay attention to the game in progress. Isn't that her responsibility? If she had done her job properly, there would be no need at all for instant replay. As it is, the badminton court is not so big as in tennis that the ump can't oversee the whole domain with his/her own eyes, with the help of the line and service judges.

And she should have allowed KKK to refer to the referee instead of giving him the yellow card! Everyone in that arena saw what had happened, except for her!

#53 visor, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  14. serviceover

Logistics
    Have you umpired ?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

No, why?...........................

16. serviceover

Logistics
    Then how can tell what you can and cannot see....

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Ummmm.... view the youtube video of the incident?

18. serviceover

Logistics
    I have, and it looks like to me that MB is between Carol and CM....

19. druss

druss Regular Member

Ummm, was the video shot from the umpires chair?

The umpire can only see so much and no human can see everything at once and concentrate that hard.

Hockey has 2 refs and a linesman. I have no idea how many there are in football but damn it's a LOT!

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, I don't have fast internet access right now, will review it tonight when I get home.