Looking for new racket recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by 1nsight, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 1nsight

1nsight New Member

Hi everyone, im trying to decide what racket to buy, so I though I would ask here for opinions. I guess I should start by telling you a little bit about my playing style etc. I used to be a decent level county player, but I haven't played for a few years. I have just started playing again, and the inevitable rustiness is annoying, but I still have the all the shots. Timing has been the main problem, but this will no doubt improve with playing time.

Playing style wise, I am a very aggressive player, my smash was always the hardest around, and I flick clear to the back off either wing with ease. My problem was always consistency and unforced errors. The racket I have at the moment is my old carlton airblad 2000. My old coach says that it is too flexible for me and that if I used a stiffer racket it would tranform my game. I am slightly worried that a stiff racket would sap my power.

Having had a think and reading some information, I am thinking that I need a stiff, head heavy racket. I feel this will keep pop on my shots and hopefully iron out some errors. So far the rackets I have earmarked as possibles are:

Carlton Fireblade Iso Elite (the previous carlton range topper):
    I realise it isn't the latest racket, but the spec is what I want and they can be bought for around 50 pounds new now, which is rather attractive to me.

Carlton Vapour Trail elite (the current top of the range carlton)

Yonex Armortec 700: I believe it came out around the same time as the fireblade and has a similar spec, however it is still in production and is therefore a lot more expensive.

Yonex Armortec 900 power: Again stiff and head heavy, but getting pretty expensive for a badminton racket.

Price isn't a massive issue, im just not used to paying more than 90 pounds for a range topping badminton racket. It just seems weird to me paying tennis racket prices for a racket a third of the weight and a lot less durable.

I have only ever owned carlton rackets, so to be honest, at the moment im leaning towards the vapour trail elite or the fireblade. Im happy to pay the money for the vt, but I could get two fireblades for that, and I tend to break strings more often than most.

Any input would be much appreciated and if anyone things im going down the wrong route with racket type, please say so. Thanks in advance.

2. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Go for the Vapour trail elite , it seem that it matches your criteria , otherwise I would think that the AT700 would suit you as well.

3. 1nsight

1nsight New Member

Im going to test out the AT700 and hopefully AT900P tomorrow, will report back!

4. gamegood101

gamegood101 Regular Member

engineer
    fireblades are great,i have vapour elite too,just got it bout 3weeks ago,im always buying new rackets,but both fireblade and vt are great,cant see you not liking either,vt feels a tiny bit more tech???? perhaps that is just because its gets a ton of new spec and that gets in your head????