Recomendations for Beginner/Intermediate

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by perfectgravity, Feb 18, 2010.

1. perfectgravity

perfectgravity Regular Member

Hi,

So i have been playing for a little while now and i am advancing past my beginner level of play.

I currently have a entry level aluminum/steel racket that i have been playing with and I would like to upgrade to a more intermediate one. I read up on some guide and forum posts and while most people agree that the racket is not as important until you get to the advanced level, but they also seem to be saying that you need a graphite racket.

I have been looking at various ones including these:

Victor Lightning 3337
    Victor Apollo II
    Yonex Muscle Power 7 and 10
    Head Nano Power 700

So would any of those be a good choice for me?
    Or maybe you have another model that I should look at.

Also is a graphite shaft/aluminum head worse then a full graphite?

PS. If you have a used racket that would be good for me I am in the GTA, PM me

2. perfectgravity

To add I also found the APACS Nano 900 after looking deeper into the forms here, that looks pretty good. Would 22lb stringing be appropriate for me?

3. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am SO GLAD that you aren't one of those early players who wish to IMMEDIATELY play with a $200 racket! Really, I AM!

Graphite shaft/aluminum head would be a more heavy racket (but also more durable) than a full graphite racket. BUT, you are more prone to hurting yourself, particularly your wrist, with a graphite shaft/aluminum head one, so it is advisable you get a full graphite one.

I honestly don't know much about intermediate Victor, Head, and APACS rackets, but I'd probably skip the Yonex MP 7/10 because Yonex makes pretty poor lower range rackets and are usually too expensive for its price.

I've heard better things from Victor and APACS, so I'd skip Head...but that's just IMO.

As for strings...22lbs sounds like a really good number to me :]. As you perfect your shots so that you never miss-hit, you can get a tighter tension.

#3 CrimsonRain, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. perfectgravity

Thanks for the reply. I got myself a Apacs intermediate racket.

One more question though:

I decided to go with the beginner friendly BG 65, but everyone is saying that it will lose a lot of tension really quickly unless it is pre-stretched. Now I have not had anyone string my racket before, so do I just ask the stringer if they do pre-stretching? will they even know what I am talking about?

And if they do not do pre-streching should I then bump up my tension to 24lb? this will probably mess up my playing for the first game though.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

To be honest... skip on the BG65, the string is terrible for anything beyond durability. Look at BG80 or BG85.

As for the stringer, you can ask whether he prestretches but if you're going to a sports shop I highly doubt it. Also ask what machine they use and whether it's a crank, electronic... etc. and whether they do a 1pc or 2pc stringing.

6. perfectgravity

7. druss

druss Regular Member

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38509

I'm personally not a big fan of 65, it's ok as a beginner string but the loss in tension, only average feel and power means it's a string I'll never use. Like many, I started with BG65 but once I tried other, better strings, I'd never go back.

I also string for two clubs and I don't usually recommend it unless that person is looking for the cheapest they can get.