Finally: Mizuno Badminton Shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kukula, Apr 16, 2004.

1. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    I have just bought a pair of Mizuno court shoes specifically made for badminton. I believe Mizuno took notice of BF people using their volleyball shoes for our beloved game :) Anyway the model of the shes is Mizuno Wave Smash RP. I have checked the web but couldnt find any reference to this model. The local Mizuno shop told me it was an 04 model. It comes in two models. One standard, the other midcut. I got the midcut model for better protection to my ankles. Besides the price difference for the two models is only $3 US, so i think its worth it. The shoes has thin soles. And it is very very light :) In fact the sockliner inside has words written "light" on it. It is also made for people with wide feet, as mentioned on one of the stickers on it. The ventilation system is also very very good. It has holes on the soles which allows air to go straight up to your feet! It also comes with two laces, one blue, the other white. The model I got was JP. It really came as a surprise for me since most Mizunos here are those for their international market. Anyway I will take photos of it once I get home. I just hope someone could teach me how to post pics :) I also have an electronic weighting scale so ill try to take the weight, though i think the weight would be variable depending on the size of the shoes (mine is size 28) Thanks for reading :)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sounds cool.

Any pic or spec? ;) And please give more reviews after a few more sessions.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    kukula, there is a button at the bottom saying "manage attachments", and then, upload images in there, and the pic will just go with the post.

4. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    Thanks Bluejeff. I will do that when I get home. I am really dieing to try it in game, but I guess it will just have to wait. I am still trying to "hide" it from my better half for a few days more, especially since I just got a new pair of Mizuno shoes barely two weeks ago :) Dont want her to raise an eyebrow on me :)

5. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    Heres the pics. I just got them today using my camera phone. Hope it would be good enough. May digicam sadly isnt with me. Didnt know my wife lent it to her bro. Anyway ill try to get better pics in a couple of days :)

Attached Files:

6. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    so does anyone know if they're available in the north american market and for how much???

7. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    This one http://www.mizuno.co.jp/catalog/badminton/
    . My friend told me he tried this shoe in the store and it is light and comfortable. Would you give us a review? Especially on the wood court!

8. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hmm... that ought to give Yonex a run for their money.

-Rick

9. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    Thanks for that link Huijun! So it seems Mizuno has not one but several badminton specific shoes coming out this year. Am glad to hear that. And I saw my shoes in there :) Anyway I tried it on my game today and it was great! Stability is very good, owing to the fact that it has really thin soles so the clearance from the ground to your feet is very minimal. Traction is also very good. The added support to my ankle is also evident (it is midcut so evidently better ankle support). The ventilation is also excellent. But what really impressed me the most is its lightweightness. It feels like youre not wearing anything at all :) No wonder Mizuno emphasized it with big bold words "LIGHT" in the sockliner. I took it off and compared it with similarly sized Yonex my friend is using and it is just as light, maybe even lighter! To think that it is midcut while the Yonex is standard. I believe that the standard Mizuno Wavesmasher would be much much lighter. I am even tempted to get an extra pair for backup, especially since they are selling like pancakes. How to convince the wife will be the prob :)

10. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Kukula, Im assuming you got this in the Megamall outlet?

How much was it going for?

Ive been using the Wave Stratosphere 3 since November and Im quite happy with it.

I once had a pair of really light shoes, once. It was a pair of Reebok Hexalites. I found that while it was really quite light, it sacrificed cushioning. I blame that for giving me my first case of sore knees back in the early nineties. :p

11. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    Hello Stantan. I got them from the main Mizuno outlet in Makati. It costs P4850. They still dont have it in the other Mizuno outlets, and I dont think it will even make it to the outlets. They are newly arrived and they have only few pairs. Cushioning is very good. It uses that "wave" technology Mizuno is known for. I believe it acts like the "gel" technology of the Asics, which btw is another good shoe company. I just prefer the Mizuno I have wide feet, and they just feel right to me. If I were you I'll go get a pair, especially since these shoes are JP. Unless you go to Japan and buy them there, you cant get the JP version anywhere :)

12. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    well, my mizunos are new but I am glad that the badminton shoes are here when the time comes that I need new ones! :)

13. rocket

rocket Regular Member

badminton mizunos available in other places

stan, mizuno mega is already selling the older badminton models for P2,950. mizuno eastwood (2nd flr beside adidas) sells the new models for around P4,800. there's a new badminton shop at virramall ground floor, wala pang signage, which sells the new badminton models cheaper. btw, when looking for the badminton models, their code starts with "7km". see you thursday stan.

14. Cricket

Cricket Regular Member

I have the low cut model of the Wave Smash and they provide enough ankle support. I haven't had any ankle problems ever since I started wearing them. Oh, and they're also very light and comfortable, my feet don't hurt at all after I'm done playing.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Only the Mizuno 7KM series indoor shoes are specifically for badminton. Don't use the 9KV series which look like badminton shoes but are actually for volleyball.

16. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Trust him. He's very knowlegable in this.

17. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

I totally agreed with you.

I have seen players wearing just indoor court shoes ie volleyball shoes, squash shoes, indoor soft shoes and even waliking or jogging shoes to play badminton. I believe these player are taking a risk and may do inustice to their ankle and feet.

I have seen once my play mate wearing Nike air to play badminton. During that night, his right Nike air shoes collapse at the heel part where there is the famous "air". He was lucky to have no injury to his ankle or foot.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It would of course be nice to wear proper badminton shoes to play badminton. But don't be discouraged from playing if you cannot afford a pair of shoes. In my younger days, when almost everyone was poor, I had to make do with no shoes or with my only pair of rubber shoes, and even that from bigger brother's hand-down, for everything from soccer to badminton. I could then run on tarmac barefoot but modern living has now made my feet as soft as jelly and my feet would bleed if I were to walk barefoot on tarmac now. :D

19. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    I used "white rice fish" / "double happiness" when I was young, US50cents to US$1.50 per pair.

But now we should try our best to get hold of a good pair of Badminton shoes to prevent injury. Mizuno is the best we tried so far.

#19 redkingjoe, Dec 1, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  20. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I am considering whether I should get a pair of Mizuno volleyball shoes (Wave Blocker 2/Wave Stratosphere 4/Wave Lightning) since Mizuno badminton shoes are not available in Singapore. I would have thought that the volleyball shoes would provide more stability and cushioning than badminton shoes since volleyball requires a lot of jumping/diving than badminton.