Ae 2010 Final Review

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jamesd20, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I have been to the AE again this year & enjoyed it very much this year as I have in the others. Plase bear with me if thi review drags & apologies for the delay, but leaving it later gives me the pleasure of reliving it once more!

FINALS DAY!

(in order of schedule)

MIXED DOUBLES

Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei Vs Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir

As I said before Zhao is officially my favourite XD player now. Throughout this match she carried Zhan, especially in the first where everything she touchd turned to gold. I haven't seen the match, but everytime she touched it in the 1st half of the first end, INA were in trouble. Zhan was nervous I felt in the first, helped only by Nova/Natsir ability to relax and "gift" people the 1st end.

They should have finished it in the second, and In the interval I was interested to see whether Zhang Nan would crumble after the shock of losing, or come good. He came good.

As for the future of this pair, not sure Zhang is fully world class, but I can't see who else they could play with. Zhao is top rate & needs a good man to fulfil her XD potential. They ned another Zhang Jun!

WOMENS SINGLES

Tine Rasmussen Vs Wang Yihan

Having beaten Tine in last years final I expected Wang Yihan to win. The tactic is clear for Wang, Play fast and attacking, move Tine around. The whole coaching staff know this, Wang knows this.

I expected thre games, but expected Wang to run out the winner nonetheless. Wan did well, but if you watch the video near the end she was geting the chances, but didn't have the confidence to finish the rally. One point (at maybe 19-19) she had a rear-mid court smash, which should have gone straight don the line for match point. She hit it straight down the line, but not ful blooded, tine got it back & eventually won the point.

This is the failing of the current CHN WS, not good enough to dominate as there predecesors, but good enough still to win, but fail to finish the match. Looking at the form guide in the Programme I was surprised to see CHN domination, but unsurprised to see one player not dominating.

Wang Yihan is my pick of the bunch, but the fact TR ha now won 2 AE at 28 tells its own story, why couldn't she win before?Injuries maybe, quality of opposition now & then, definitely.

Fairplay to Tine though, she got the victory & now has 3 AE Finals to her name, winning two, no mean feat.

MENS SINGLES

Lee Chong Wei Vs Kenichi Tago

The first JPN player to reach AE Final in decades, playing a player who is (IMO) reknown for not making the big victory - surely a Recipe for a great match.

Yes & No. Yes the scorelne was close, but realistically I thought the scoreline flattered Tago. LCW is a slow starter & Tago, being tired from his previous 3 setters (in all but rd 1) would have to win in 3 against a player known for his fitness. When he didn't win the 1st the writing was on the wall. Tago Fought & fought, but LCW is still a clas ahead of him and was in control.

After the interval in the 2nd it was clear Tago gave it full throttle an got back to 11-11, but beyond that he was spent an no matter what adrenaline he found to get close I always felt LCW would win.

Is LCW a better player than last year? Difficult to tell, maybe not, I still think he hasn't fulfiled his potential in that he plays the wrong shots at the wrong times. He certainly isn't as quick as he was, or powerful, but at the end of the day he is now an All England champion.

WOMENS DOUBLES

Du Jing/Yu Yang Vs Shu Cheng/Zhao Yunlei

Du/Yu are still the most exciting WD pair for me, they are fast and sharp in attack despite their relative small size. Cheng/Zhao had another chance to win after last years disappointment with Chengs' injury.

Cheng/Zhao took it to them in the beginning and showed how much their power has improved, but I thought Du/Yu were playing a waiting game, absorbing the younger pairs attacks, then they came back with the pace & tactical play they are best at. They almost took the first game too.

The 2nd & Third ends were less close. I felt Zhao tired from then on & they lacked a belief to beat Du/Yu. In the third they never looked like winning it. So my Fav pair won!!

MENS DOUBLES

Jonas Rasmussen/Lars Paaske vs Mattias Boe/Carsten Mogensen

A dream final for the vociferous danish supporters, 2 Danish winners.

JR/LP were chasing a major double of WC & AE, MB/CM their first big break.

The match was stunning, Boe on top of the net in for much of the game, but JR/LP hung in there. JR/LP are the best pair in the worls on their day, but they have two weaknesses. Lars defence and silly erors on an off day & JR sometimes loses out on the net. I will never forget the way JR played in WC 2003 he owned the net - like he knew exactly where the opponents were hitting it. This match was not quite o spectacular, but they were very consistent throughout the match.

Look at the Tournament software match analysis the scores were pretty even in every game. Unfortunately at 1955 I had to leave to take my borther to the train station, so mised the final part from 11-9, but I was so happy when I got home & checked the result that JR/LP won. I only hope they can find one more tournament win......2012 OG!!!!!

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Coooool..^^

..so, i take it the Finals Day was worth it??..

What was difference, in your opinion, in the Tine vs. WYH's match??..

What did you think of the last controversial point of the LCW vs. Tago match?? Were you able to discern whether the shuttle landed in or out?..

Btw, did you get a chance to find a restaurant & taste any Szechuan cuisine??..;)

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    WYH didn't have the onfidence to control the game and put Tine under pressure. She was too passive, Tine was in control. Last Year WYH was....Younger girl going backwards? mmmmmmmm.....some head scratching to do.

MS Final point? Didn't even notice it, I saw reaction from the coaches & Tago & it is very unfortunate to happen on the last point, but there were 80 other points it could have happened on so it is just bad luck. If Tago plays like this next year he will get his chance. He controlled, at least at some point in every game he played in, and Control is what wins games.

Food - no disappointingly not, we went to a restaurant called Chung Ying Garden near the hippodrome, was meant to be ood, but were disappointed. We like Northern style, the flavour was cantonese and a bit blurry......

Worth it........Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world.........

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Talk about paraphrasing me.......

6. qczhao

qczhao Regular Member

Student
    I ate in Chung Ying Garden as well! Were you on the top floor or the lower floor? hehe.

Apparently Lee Chong Wei made a visit to the lower floor...some of my friends got pictures with him.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Ground floor, We were there from straight after play on Saturday (approx 1920) until 2215....

I didn't see him, but I wasn't really looking. Nevertheless I wasn't impressed with the food, bit boring.

8. qczhao

qczhao Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, same here.

I was so hungry by that time I just devoured any food they brought, I think for the price it's not so bad.

The indonesian XD coach was sat on the table next to mine, I didn't get the courage to go talk to him however...

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Pehaps off topic : LCW's wining shirt is going to be sold for auction

Badzine.com

"Right after his victory at the YONEX ALL ENGLAND, Lee Chong Wei gave away his winning shirt for the newly born SOLIBAD foundation. The shirt will shortly be out to auction for helping children in an orphanage in his homeland of Kuala Lumpur.
    Check news from www.solibad.net"

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Actually he is WD coach.( Aryono)..INA only sent WD and MS coach to AE due to budget....
    You should talk to him.,.he is very friendly ( he is chinese Indonesian)

11. weekey

weekey Regular Member

James, nice to see your review again.
    in XD, I think Nova was too old to smash. Tactic and technique wise, Nova/Natsir are the better pair, but they cannot finish rallies evey when they were in control.
    WS was as intense as last year, also as low quality as last year.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Wang! Hi Hope you are fine....

I agree. I felt The CHN pair knew Nova was tired, but concetrated too much on moving him around the court and trying to tire him further, rather than just concentrate on winning. eventually they took a bit more initiative and took it.

Yup WS tense, but not great. to me it is obvious what WYH had to do, maybe she isn't good enough?!

Hope you are fine....

13. weekey

weekey Regular Member

James, I'm fine. Thanks
    I think WYH is physically good enough, just not a very smart player. For example, she kept serving high to TR, even though she obviously had trouble dealing with TR's attack. It seemed to me that she just wanted to outrun TR, instead of outplaying her. If this was what coach Zhang Ning told her to do, then ZN need to get better at making game plans. Personally, I think all those tall Chinese girls (Lu Lan, Wang Lin, WYH) are playing like Chen Jin - very good runner,very good retriever! Very boring to watch!

14. DanielX

DanielX Regular Member

I couldnt agree with you more mate.

15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Totally agree about the MS final

and about the comment on LCW.

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Don't get me started on Chen Jin ............I have given up on him, you can't win a major tournament playing so passively. The most frustrating thing is Chen Jin can attack, he just seems to prefer to react to what the opponents do......

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you can almost replace chen jin with LCW and it still works until a few days ago, and CJ is only 22 or 23.

#17 AlanY, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I don't think LCW is a passive player, maybe not agressive enough sometimes, but he does control rallies and hit penetrative shots, CJ - he hits penetrative clears & lifts!!!:rolleyes:

He is 24 & If you imagine he has maybe 2 years left in him (most CHN MS retire 26/27) then I can't see him turn he career stats/results around by then.

19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I really thought Chen Jin would be big a few years back. But he doesn't seem to have come up much at all since then. And what happened to his smiles? That was the main reason I liked him.

20. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    He did win AE..one of the major...;);)