What shot to play?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yeerenyuan, Mar 27, 2010.

1. yeerenyuan

yeerenyuan Regular Member

Hi,

In doubles attacking play and being the rear court player, what are my options for the following situation?

The opponent consistently defensive lifts my smashes very high and back to the single service line. Making the shuttle's trajectory virtually a straight line during free fall.

I can't make accurate and powerful smashes with a shuttle falling like that.

2. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    super clutch drop shots .. until you get a good clear where you can land a good smash, i think.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    An opponent can only play very high and deep, if your shot was slow to begin with. Generally (unless his defense is like KDM) if your smash is reasonably powerful, then he will only be able to give a flatter trajectory with any consistency.

To prevent the high & deep return I would suggest a fast drop to the centre. The speed of the fast drop will mean the opponent takes it late & hits it flatter (and possible short), therfore with the flatter trajectory alone you will be able to hit it earlier in the court, thus hit more power, better angle to set up a weak reply.

I would not reccomend a slow drop, since you are likely to get the same high return you currently have problems with.

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

First, I agree with the option of a fast drop to move the opponent from their fortified position (ready to receive a smash). They will be less ready for the next smash. But why will the shot prevent a deep/high lift?

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Even if your smash isn't particularly strong, it's still the shot you should be playing most often in that situation.
    However, by mixing in the occasional fast-drop too, you become less predictable which will make your smashes more effective as well. Also, varying the pace of your smashes makes it harder for your opponent to judge the length of their lift, and they may hit the shuttle out or short.
    Depending on the height of the ceiling and the strength of your opponent, a tight drop shot may even make it impossible for them to clear to the back of the court once the shuttle dips far below the net.

The main thing is to not try and hit outright winners all the time, as you are likely to make a mistake - which is exactly what your opponents are hoping for. As long as they keep playing defensive and lifting deep, you only need do just enough to maintain the attack, and preferably move them around the court a bit.

6. Random-person1

Student
    Perfect clutch drop.. prevents a deep/high lift, i think.

7. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

What's a perfect clutch drop and why does it prevent a deep/high lift?

I'm thinking that the lower you take the dropshot, the higher you need to lift it to control the lift. The net prevents a flatter lift but never a higher one. How deep one can lift the shuttle of course depends on how well the player can control the shot.

8. yeerenyuan

yeerenyuan Regular Member

Hi again,

Would you describe what is a "perfect clutch drop"?

The thing is my opponents are good players. They are able to consistently anticipate my drops to the middle and returning them deep again to the corners. On a few occasions they even attempted to net kill after I played a not-so-tight-to-the-net slow drop.

It's very tiring to hit jumping smashes everytime when the shuttle is lifted high & deep. Sometimes I just clear the shuttle back deep when I get impatient & exhausted.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    A fast drop lands further away from the net & the opponent hits it later, and stetching, meaning it is harder (but not impossible) to hit a high, loopy lift, and easier, therefore more likely, to hit a flatter lift. A slow or block drop gives more time to the oppnent and enables them to give a full lift motion and get the height on the lift.

It sounds to me as though the players you are playing against are much better than you as they can just keep returning your smashes. Variety will make you les predictable, but try not to try off unpredictability for consistency, as weak/missed shots will lose you moe points. The good thing for you though it you are getting on the attack at all, which is half the battle in MD.

Also if you get tired jump smashing, then don't! do standing smashes which will mean you have better recovery tim for their reply & you will not get so tired. Clearing is giving the attack away.

Failing that, get fitter, keep smashing & you will win!

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Thanks for the clarification. I see your point now. The speed the drop falls and the uncertainty of the distance from the net makes it difficult to play a stable deep lift. At least I tend to have a problem controlling my high lift distance so prefer to take my chances with a flatter lift to give the opponent less time.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    +1 on the bolded part and therefore the flatter lift is easier to hit the smash on - unless indeed, the opponents are very good.

12. Random-person1

Student
    well.. the thing with the slow drop.. is that it has to be perfect (as in so tight that it's almost kissing the net as it goes over. I just think people have a hard time dealing with this is because it's so tight that it's easy for them to make error. REALLY, i'm obviously not recommending the slow/perfect drop if your opponents are literally breathing on your opponent in the front court. sorry for all the misunderstandings :X

just something on a side note.. if they're really that close that they can net-kill your drops.. might as well just smash them.. they're going to have a lot less time to return the shot, just my 2 cents :X