How often do you swap rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by altreality, May 11, 2004.

1. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I noticed everyone here seems to have a few rackets at a time...
    When do you decide which racket to use ?

I guess some may say depends on whether singles or doubles...or offensive or defensive....

If that were the case, then do you swap one racket for another halfway through a session (e.g. finished doubles using MP100 and then change to Cab 20 for singles)....

I personally stick to one racket per session....

2. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    I usually switch if I'm losing a game. Of course then this depends on why I fweel I'm not playing so well. If I wanted a stronger smash, I'd go grab my MP99...

But in practice, I usually start off with a racquet I'm not as great with, or one that forces me to play more conciously (say a smaller sweet spot to control accuracy, or less stiff so I have to use more power to get the same result). I might end up practicing with that racquet the entire time...so in a sense, I get so many different racquets because I want to imrpove different aspects of my game.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Normally, I would bring 4 rackets with me to the gym.

2 for games, 1 for practice, and 1 for fitting/getting used to/trying.

For example:

Cab20-practice
    Cab20Power-games
    Cab30MS-games
    IsoSlim10-trying out

During warm ups or playing with unknown people, I would use Cab20.
    For playing games with friends, I use game rackets.
    Playing with my girlfriend and trying out the new rackets at the sides of the gym, I use Slim10.

4. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    I switch my rackets depending on what im playing at the moment...
    say........

I'll use my Mp100 when im playing singles...
    then my friend comes and wanna have a game of doubles... so i run over to my bag and get my Mp99 for the doubles (now sold and waiting for my CAB30MS which would take its place :D )... then someone I'm partnered with someone Im not familiar with or a beginner (also depends on the way they play or act around the court) I'll run over to my bag to get my Ti8...

calvin

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Never. I use the same rackets for all games.

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The smartest thing to do!

Since all my rackets are gripped and strung identically I only change when the string loosens off and the nice crisp sound dissapears. But never in the middle of a game

7. altreality

Hmm... Looks like I gotta decide which is my practice / training racket...
    I tend to agree that while practicing, it is useful to use the racket that is less forgiving.... and then swap to one that one is used to....
    Currently, I think my MP 77 is most forgiving..

Played last nite using only one racket and by the last game of the evening, noticed that my shots were sharper nd more confident.. so using one racket throughout helps as well.. that why I see guys with a bunch of the same rackets...

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My problem here is perspiration on the hands. The ambient temperature is getting to 28 degrees celcius and near 90% humdity. Playing singles is tough work and perspiration is a problem.

My racquets are all of the same model, with same strings, and same grip (and size of grip). I can pick any of these and use it. If the grip gets too wet, change the racquet! :p

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yup.. i do the same thing. But most of the times i use a heavier racket for the first few games. And later on i will swap to a lighter one.

10. altreality

Here in Singapore, we get the 90% humidity and ambient temperature of 32 degrees....!!!!

11. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I tend to only use my best racquet and don't change it, unless its broken or soemthing

12. pentium4

pentium4 Regular Member

Student
    meh, changing racquets for me is not my style :rolleyes:

13. herovc

herovc Regular Member

Do u guys swap racquet while switching from double to single or vice versa?

I use same model racquets w/ single and another same model racquets w/ doubles :D

vc

14. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    Ditto with me. I only use one racket through and through each badminton session. From warm up till game ends. If I want to use another racket, then I use it from very beginning. Somehow it just gives me better consistency

15. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

To keep the bag in shape

Depends on the mood. The tension on the rackets are different. On a bad day, I use the cheapest racket among them all, in case I decide to test the hardness of the floor. :)

16. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe...i start off with a lighter one, becuase i have enough energy to swing it properly, later when i get tired, i'll switch to a heavier one, otherwise i would loose too many points by just not hitting far enough with the light one.

2g is really noticeable!

17. kvyra

kvyra Regular Member

for me..i perspire alot on the palms when i play..as such i only use tower grips and they have a rather short life.

i have 3 or 4 of the same identical racket and setup and rotate them all after every game giving each towel the chance to dry out...and when all of the strings start to slacken...its restring time.

its also partly because i use bg66 and because of its lower durability...that i do not have to restring so often like 3 weeks per racket..heh lazy to string. so when all 4 run out together...i can do them all at once. also ive noticed that although the tension my have dropped...but the tension drops consistently thruout all the rackets...and it does not affect your play that much..i mean i know when tension has dropped even slightly...but its not so noticeable in my play when all of them drop at the same rate. i usually have an allowance of 3-4 lbs when i rotate rackets...compared to what i did last time where i let it drop 1-2 lbs and the difference in play was starting to show.

18. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    I know what you mean. And i can see the argument for most of the people who agree. My coaches always say, if you have the money, buy at least 2 of the same racquet.

My reason for switching racquets is:

a) Warm ups I want more of a training type racquet (say a heavier racquet to work out my arm a bit more), so when I actually get to the game, I've actually go easier shots in that I've already worked out my arm.

b) I change racquets during the game (especially when I'm losing) occasionally because I might realize that I'm losing because I don't have a good enough drop or something, so I go over and grab a racquet that's been designed for drops or strung more for dropping.

c) It gives me time to rethink and cool off, think about what I"m doing wrong, and what I want to do. It also breaks the rythym, so when I begin my next rally, it will be slighly different simply because the game has stopped for a moment.

d) Even though you buy the same racquet, not every racquet is the same. My best example is the AT500. My coach's and mine are totally different. His seems more evenly balanced than mine is, though mine is slightly lighter in the shaft and heavier at the tip. Likewise, another friend of mine has 2 MP88, and she loved her first one (she broke it within 4 months), but the second one she says doesn't compare simply because it doesn't feel the same.

So I mean if I had the money, I would buy two of each racquet. But since my mood, or my play might change (say I have a sore arm), so I enjoy having slightly different racquets just so I can adjust to my differences in different days. My current assortment is Ti-10, MP99, and AT500. All of them are basically offensive racquets, but at different levels, and are still different, so they're similar enough to have the same style of play, but different enough to adjust to my changes in the different days.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Like other people have already said - I do actually switch between my two identical rackets when the towel grip gets wet.

There's an interesting balance of pros/cons here - especially with price! For example:

I think about it in a different way. I simply can't buy myself a racket unless I can afford to buy two! There's no point to having the racket I want (MP99 at the moment) unless I have a second one. If I break a string in a match, I need to be able to pick up an identical racket and keep playing without having to adjust. With an identical racket, breaking a string cannot affect my game at all for more than one rally. It's really distracting to have to calibrate myself to a different racket.

Effectively, this means that the price of changing my racket preference is doubled! I want to switch to a MP99, but I can't afford to buy two of these rackets now. Not only that, but I have to add the price of an immediate restring. Therefore, I don't buy any.

I guess I'm a cheapskate when it comes to rackets. Recently I had both my rackets restrung (they had BAD factory strings) with BG65. But the shop used the wrong string - they put in BG65ti instead. So I didn't pay them :D Saved me £40 - even though I don't like BG65ti, it's good enough for me to play with.