possible or impossible? =[

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nhix23, Jun 19, 2010.

1. nhix23

nhix23 New Member

student
    HI im nicole. 14 yrs of age. i began playing badminton since i was 10 but never had a proper training. im from philippines and came over here in canada to be with my mom.. and also hoping to be granted a great training since we all know canada is a great country.
    like everyone else in this website, i have a heartfelt desire for badminton.
    Now im kinda hopeless cuz even my family doesnt give me some support and thinking it might be too late for me to achieve my goal to become an olympian in my beloved sport badminton.
    reading blogs about ppol who had a chance to get a proper training at the age of 9 and below makes me kinda jealous. cuz like, im now 14 and still didnt have those chances to pursue my aim..
    yes i admit.. im not a good player, and didnt have that much tournament experiences but atleast i may say that, i really have a passion and desire for badminton.. and if only ppol may help me and give me chances, i swear to do the best that i can..

what do u think the best thing ill do to make this all happen? the one that also bothers me is that, would these all be possible? will i ever be a better player?:confused:

guys please help me with this. pls do help me with my goals :(
    words of hope and courage will be a lot appreciated..
    drop me some advices on how to succeed :)

thanks a lot!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It's good that you have this strong passion at such a young age of 14.

But you have to realize that only the best of the best in any sport can make it big, both in terms of name and earnings. The rest of the rankings, say over 100, will only have some company endorsements which will not be enough to live on. In other words, this sport/hobby/passion is not going to put food on your table or shelter over your head, so you better have deep pockets or be prepared to make some major sacrifices.

Not trying to scare you, but just letting you know the realities...

Oh, btw, welcome to BC! :)

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, playing at the olympics is a dream for almost any athlete, but aren't there a lot of fun steps in between?
    Ending in the top10 of a junior circuit? Making it to the top10 of your country? qualifying for an international tournament?

There's so much in between the stages 'just beginning' and 'making the Olympics' it's a shame to just gloss over all that.

I think you can have a good badminton 'career' if you never make it to the Olympics, even if you never even qualify for an international tournament. To think you're only real goal can be the Olympics is setting yourself up for dissapointment.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Well, two very wise men have bluntly defined the obstacles in front of you.:eek:

On the encouraging side, your passion is currently your greatest asset!:)
    Although most world class athletes start very young, there have been notable exceptions in every sport. So don't look back, just strive to be all you can be!

Like all big tasks, it must be broken down into steps. Your first step is to find a coach, if you don't have one already. Calgary must have many good coaches.
    Work hard and see what come of it. If not Olympic glory, then at least self-respect. :):)

5. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    It doesn't matter how long you train for in years but its how much you learn and gain in the period of time if you are able to learn something that takes 6 month to learn and fully master it then its better than spending a yr to learn it and master it.

If you want to be an Olympian, or should i say an athlete in badminton you must be serious and willing to give up your career, and most likely travel through hell and arise to heaven.

You must have a rank and name then begin training lessons with kids to earn yourself money for a living. You might have a period of time where you just feel like giving up because you are not known to public.

#5 NoRice4U, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

Even if parents or whoever/whatever discourages you, never give up!

As jerby said, set a relative easy and acheivable goal (mayb getting in a junior tournament finals?) and work to acheive it
    Once you have acheived it, set a higher goal n work towards it

And i agree, getting a coach is important as the coach can help develop you and analyse your movements

- Impossible is not a fact, its an opnion - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance. -

hope to play against you in the olympics sumday soon ^_^

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    You are probably like a lot of us here lol. I myself have the same dream but I know at the age of 24, the chances are very slim but I do want to play good standard badminton, like good regional/county level and who knows maybe further :)

You will need a coach. He/she will get you using the right techniques and cut out the bad 1s that you currently use. This will help you improve a lot faster. Play as many comps as possible and play as often with as many players esp better players to improve ur game.

Make a goal. Have ur ultimate goal which may be to reach the olympics (U r still young) and smaller more achieveable but jus out of reach goals like getting to final round of tournament or beating a particular player who is better than you. Keep making more goals as time goes on.

They say it takes 10000 hours of good practice (about 10 years) to become the best at any activity whether it is music, sport, whatever. By that stage u will be 24, so ul just be getting into your prime!!

You are still young, if you really love it and want to do it, then do it. It will be hard and you prob will have sacrifices but if you love it, do it

Good luck :)

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    you guys all sure scare her away...

9. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    You gotta be realistic though i mean your set for your 16s to like 30s? That's if you have the skill and stamina to keep having sponsor for like 10 years like Peter Gade capable of playing for like a long time from old point system to new point system.

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    she needs to set her first goal not the ultimate goal..

she needs to be spotted first.....

that means by hook or by crooks she needs to train hard by herself to win in some local tournament around her area, like an aged group tournament.

can she do that? to me there is a will there is a way...

from there, things will be different. once there is a coach there is a training program for her and there is a new goal....

so it goes on and on depending on her passion, whether she can stay pain and agony, training losing winning all those ...

again there is a will there is a way...

rather than sitting in front of the screen and try for help with the keyboard.

she must go out and start now.

at 14 she is still young!

11. druss

druss Regular Member

First, let me just say that as much as I love Canada, it is not a Badminton hotbed...

As far as I know there are very few junior badminton tournaments, most are either school or local club related. A good coach is a must but most of them teach at pretty expensive clubs, the Glencoe being one of them. The college coaches are pretty good but you have to wait for college....

Here is a good place to start.

http://www.badmintonalberta.ca/

It's the provincial (state) badminton body. It has links to local clubs, training facilities, scholorships... etc.

12. nhix23

nhix23 New Member

student
    to all people who gave time reading this and dropped some comments, thank you so much.

i salute those ppol who really did inspire me to pursue everything i dreamed for. its really heart-warming how u guys give concern and courage to a dreamer like me.
    and to some who said it might kinda be impossible, yes. you guys actually got points. i know how kinda impossble it is. and i dont expect that much, all i would really want is to atleast prove to everyone especially to myself that, i can be so much better than what i am right now. and u know, make ppol proud of me .

now im on the brighter side of life and hoping this summer cud be a start(cus im training badminton every thurs) and maybe some coaches would be kind enough to support and bring out the best of me.

thank u so much. god bless u all! :)

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I agree with Druss that badminton alberta is your best place to start, try and see if you can get involved in the elite program that starts up in september since its a good solid training foundation with great coaches consisting of current and former national and even international players. as well from there you can then get scouted into one of the clubs and possibley even invited in under a training membership in a few years time after some hard training and good tournament results.

best of luck in everything though for you and trust me badminton in calgary can be not as bad as you think sometimes even though we have 2 private and super expensive clubs theres still alternatives for sure. have fun in your training and learn all that you can while working on correct form and technique. impossible is nothing, as cliche as that may sound go for what you believe in set your goals up and as you achieve them set new goals and so forth so that in the end each one accomplished brings you closer to the final ultamite goal, dont worry i have goals set pretty high as well and still have todo alot to get there in the next few years. but best of luck to you and updates are always a great thing.

14. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

good luick guirl in your dreams.i wish i had the same kind of dreams and aspirrations as you when i was your age.

15. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Find yourself a good coach and good luck ........................

16. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

this is by far the best advice i've read

17. ljutzkanov

ljutzkanov Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach