Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Technically, a plan that does not take into account the reality of implementation is building castle in the air. That's hardly a plan. E.g. I can "plan" to beat LD by blowing all his returns out of the court. It's not exactly a plan but a load of hot air.

I do believe that Taufik had a good plan in Game 1 which he needed to take. By Game 2, there is really little point going for longer rallies which will only benefit LCW. Even if he won Game 2, he still needs the stamina to last the final game. Strategically, he opted for faster pace and riskier game. This is necessary to stretch LCW without using up too much for each point. Game 2 ended up with a lot of unforced errors on Taufik's part especially his round the head drop shots that gave away at least 3 points. Taufik was still dictating the pace in Game 2 but his need to finish the points earlier lost him too many points. Interesting stats: not a single smash winner from LCW in that Game.

2. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't men singles about controlling the net, forcing short lift and ending the rallies with powerful smashes. If those are not better skill, I don't know what is. Yes you could have other skill as well, like I can dance far better than Lindan but does those skill really count.

Lindan have better net play than Taufik?? Well if you perfer to be in the minority's opinion, be my guest. No doubt the muscular Lindan can smash harder than Taufik and steeper as well, thanks to his jumping ability. But Taufik given his relative weak physique to be able to smash like he does require far better skill.

Yup, LCW certaintly did well to gas out a pass his prime and now independent player Taufik. But that doesn't change the fact that skill wise, Taufik is still better.

3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Alright, to get started if you guys want a debate, how about defining what skills mean first? Dr. Evil, you can keep using skills but what do you mean by skills? :confused: Is net play and smashing considered skills? Or controlling the shuttle considered skills?

4. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

To ask if net play is controlling the shuttle is like asking if a car is an automobile. Fine, fine. Yes, there are many kind of skills in playing badminton. Deception, defense, footwork yadda yadda yadda. All of them comes to play together but some skill are more significant than others. Take it this way, have you ever played Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition? You can play the game in a variety of way, grabbing, turtling blah blah blah but ultimately the most effective method of gameplay is zoning.

5. Topspin

Topspin Regular Member

I hope this won't turn out to be a repeat of previous years for LCW, where he sweeps the little Super Series here and there when LD is not playing...only to crumble at the big stages (WC) :rolleyes:

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

This year is different from previous years, LCW won the AE (finally) and LD has other commitments prior to WC

7. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I don't think you need to be so kind to reply to the above. Apparently, the above isn't a LCW's fan and has no intention to be nice here. Maybe leaving him alone will be better. Just my opinion though, not trying to boss people around,ya :cool::p:p.

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    you should separate skills and tactic

your tight net and power smash is just one tactical plan

not that you are wrong but it wasn't enough for taufik

better net play means you have good control from the front court

with deceptions and speed when approaching the net, not necessarily just tight net

so again i would say lin dan is very good here and i don't mind if i am in the minority

9. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I for one think that Lin Dan is extremely dangerous when it comes to front court. Not only he can play tight net shots, he also possess an incredible speed coming to the front(from mid or rear court) and he can always return the netshots in such a way that you find it hard to retrieve.
    He wasn't as dominant at the net in 2006 but has improved tremendously throughout the years. My gut feelings tell me that Lin Dan does seem to come up on top when it comes to the front court. Just my opinion though, maybe I belong to the minority as well.

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    he has the speed to begin with

and sure he is dangerous especially his forehand

from there his anticipation works

follow by his jump smash

11. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Maybe you can suggest to Mods to ban him/her since he/she is posting in LCW's thread simply because he/she is not LCW's fan.

12. Topspin

Topspin Regular Member

Yes, LCW did win the AE this year, but keep in mind that he won the AE without facing LD. ;)

In my opinion, I think LD wasn't as motivated as he used to be to win the AE this year, simply because he's got 4 already.

However, I'm pretty sure this won't be the case for the WC, since its one of the most prestigious tournaments (more prestigious than AE), and LD is known for being a big-stage player.

Overall, I think LCW's success in tournaments depends more on LD. If LD decides that he wants to win and get really motivated...well then I feel sorry for LCW :eek:

13. Topspin

Topspin Regular Member

Oh I see, so basically only the people who mindlessly praise LCW like a god is allowed in the "Lee Chong Wei" threads.

Last time I checked, forums are suppose to be a place where people offer a combination of praises/criticisms :p

14. eaglehelang

Yes, LCW did not face LD in the 2010 AE finals, other players already beat LD before finals ;). But that's not my point, LCW finally won a major title & got that part off his shoulders. This is the scenario different from previous years.

I dont think LD lost in AE was due to lack of motivation but lack of preparation due to his busy schedule in promoting his new clothing line. Whether coach Tang follows LD to France is another factor. These are part of factors different this year for LD as compared to ....say ....2009 .

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Eagle, that was ever so diplomatic.

BUT... it's been already debated ad nauseum and doesn't need to be rehashed. So I say let's leave it be

16. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

...like you said on the other thread...sounding like in-laws...:).

17. eaglehelang

Yes madbad, to us is old issue. You know, I know but that new member maybe dunno. Perhaps that's why didnt catch the meaning of my (earlier) 1 sentence post.:D

RSLvictor... nah, if in-laws wouldnt be so nice, I'll shoot direct.

#3757 eaglehelang, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  18. Topspin

Topspin Regular Member

Now let me ask you, do you honestly think that if LD is really motivated he would get beat by BCL? :eek: Because if this is true, then by this logic, I can conclude BCL is better than LCW since LD beat LCW everytime when he's motivated.

I have heard this statement for the past...5 years now? :cool:

19. eaglehelang

I said lack of preparation, not lack of motivation. FUll story, read the AE threads,with comments from both China & non China fans.
    TC 2008, Msia vs China. We do not have to agree on the motivation thingy.

Those are some of the factors different from previous years, as I think LD only started his clothing line in 2009.
    For years, people said same thing about LCW concerning AE, as in past history such & such, before LCW won AE. THe same prediction has also been made here abt LCW at WC 2010, 10 pages or so earlier.

Kindly also read Lin Dan thread & others, there are also LD fans who do not take kindly to criticism of LD(may have been deleted though).

#3759 eaglehelang, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  20. Topspin

Topspin Regular Member

Whenever LD beat LCW at major events, I have heard countless explanations on why LCW lost; such as LCW's mental block, LD's better "preparation", the crowds, the location, or simply LCW just had another "bad day". :rolleyes:

After 1 OG, 3 WC, 4 AE, etc etc... Have you ever considered that maybe LD is just better at badminton than LCW? :eek: