Badminton and Tennis - Scores Equivalence

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by GameGod, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    I was thinking about what kind of scores in Badminton equate to certain scores in Tennis. For instance, what is the Badminton equivalent of a 6-3 win in Tennis? Or a 6-2 win? Post your thoughts here.

Eventually, I decided to go for a basic method using the percentage of points won for each player. I take it that for each game one wins in Tennis they win 4 points, while for each game you lose you win 2 points. I am aware that this is not fully the truth, but only an approximation, but it will do as a satisfactory average.

Let's start with the classic Tennis score to convert first: 6-0 (Bagel). What is 6-0 in Tennis in a Badminton game? Well, here's my working:

You: 6 games won * 4 points per game won = 24 points
    Opponent: 6 games lost * 2 points per game lost = 12 points
    Total: 24+12=36 points

Therefore, the percentage of points a player needs to win in order to Bagel the opponent is 24/36=67%. The equivalent score for Badminton is therefore:

21/x=67%
    0.67*x=21
    x=21/0.67
    x=31

Therefore, the opponent's score is 31-21=10, so the equivalent of 6-0 in tennis is 21-10 in Badminton. Perhaps, including intangibles, a Triple Bagel is more like 21-9, 21-9.

2. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    This is an interesting question. I have been thinking of a related question for a while now, and I think I can branch my solution to answer your question "correctly".

Currently, you are just assigning: 2*n points for win, n points for loss. This is completely arbitrary, and thus should not even count as an approximation.

I will redo my analysis for tennis and post a new thread in a few days with my solution and hopefully the answer to your question as well.

3. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Hey GameGod, I have posted my analysis at: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?88211. Please check to see if your question is answered in the tennis section.

As a small correction, in my above post, I meant to type "n+2 points for win, n points for loss" rather than "2*n points for win, n points for loss".

4. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics
    Even if this post gets deleted.....

You people need to get out more !!!!!!!

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I'm skeptical. I think you see 21-10 (or 21-less than 10) more often in professional badminton matches than you see 6-0 in tennis matches.