Badminton and doping: Kinda Touchy Subject

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eurasian =--(O), Jan 23, 2005.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Either. The horse and the rider are both tested.

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

couple questoins and comments. I took creatine for about a week once and noticed that i did recover faster from excercise. also why is cocaine and marajuana and other non performance enhancing drugs banned? i've always wondered about that since the canadian gold medal snowboarders medal was almost taken from him when he tested positive for marajuana. also a big factor in how your mentally able to focus and play smart shots is how much energy you have. taking stamina boosting drugs will allow you to play at the higher level longer without worrying about tired muscles. also im sure there are drugs that allow for greater concentration ie caffine. there are also probably drugs with the same effects but more potent than caffine. also i find it hard to belive that the incidence of drugs is so low in olympic and proffesional sports.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have moved this to the General Forum.

i also removed names from this thread. without solid proof, i don't think anybody's name should be mentioned or be associated given the sensitivity of the topic.

otherwise, this is an interesting topic despite being controversial and sensitive.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

ya i noticed kwun lol thanks for changing the name too. i hope this thread lasts a while b/c i really want to get a solid feeling for doping in badminton

5. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Pot I have no idea, but many NFL lineman use cocaine as it helps with reaction time when coming off the line.

It bacially energizes their synaptic ends to fire faster (and more) and jacks up their system.

Problem is it as one well knows, it turns into an addiction.

I've talked to a couple guys on the national team about creatine. Most of them found that it gave them the runs as they're cardio and recovery was so high already, creatine didn't do much to help them.

One time years ago I took one of my wife's ephadrine-based immunity booster pills before a bdminton session and without a doubt my reaction time, staminia and endurance were way up.

Made me feel very very weird though - my whole system was jittery and my skin felt liek i had a ton of static electricity.

I can understand why it's banned and has led to a few deaths in the states.

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Actually, as of 2005, WADA is now stating that the use of Stimulants (to which cocaine belongs), Narcotics (morphine, heroin etc), and Cannabinoids (e.g. pot) are prohibited in competition only. In other words, you're free to snort coke and smoke weed when training. ;) However, this is still a criminal offense in most countries so the change is academic.

7. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

what difference does it make... do you honestly believe those drugs (heroin, cocain) LOL would help your training? :confused:

8. Eurasian =--(O)

is ephedrine banned? one of my friends is trying to get me to use it

9. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I was reading a report today that in tennis Agassi can bench over 300 pounds, clearly he's drug tested very often and not a huge guy so those kind of strength levels are achievable if you have the right genetics, training, etc.

10. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

he tooksubstances too

11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The problem with talking about doping in Badminton is that there are soo many classes of drugs and their different effects that when talking about Badminton you have to think about exactly what benefits you would want.
    More Explosive Power - Creatine
    Greater Reactions - Caffine
    Ability to train More/Harder - Codine Phosphate
    Of course there are others for each option but they are illegal by law and doping laws.
    Every drug has negative effects on the body, too much caffine is a diuretic and hydration is very important. Creatine increases water retention in muscle, which combined with caffine you can become dehydrated very quickly. Codine Phosphate can reduce pain to allow you to train without feeling it too much, but this can lead to injury from overtraining and substance dependence.

12. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

if u look at other sports where doping is revealed in a broad mass of athletes you would perhaps think of testosteron (look at the way the professional badminton plaers try to shape their bodies) and of EPO (compared to football for example; badminton: match play time up to one hour, several days after each other; football:match play time 90 min, breaks of several days between games).

13. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    EPO would not be too useful in Badminton, it is used in sports where steady state exercise is performed over a duration. In Badminton because of the explosive nature of the exercise the majority of is provided anaerobically and EPO would only provide slight benefits during small breaks.

14. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

15. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

16. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    shocking news about zhou mi ... suspended for two years !

17. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Zhou Mi banned for two years
    Saturday, September 04, 2010
    The BWF announced today that a BWF Doping Hearing conducted in Copenhagen on Monday 23 August has banned ZHOU Mi (HKG) for 2 years from participation in badminton, following an Adverse Analytical Finding.

The Hearing Panel decided “that a period of 2 years ineligibility is imposed upon ZHOU Mi for the first violation of the BWF Anti-doping Regulations. The period of ineligibility commences from the date of the provisional suspension, 4 August 2010”.

The Hearing was the result of an Adverse Analytical Finding of a sample taken from ZHOU Mi in late June as part of the BWF’s ‘out-of-competition’ testing programme. ZHOU Mi tested positive to Clenbuterol, a Class 1 Anabolic Agent on the WADA Prohibited List of substances.

“BWF is fortunate that this is the first case that the BWF has ruled on for a number of years. The case sends a strong message to elite athletes in the sport who need to be aware of Prohibited Substances and the consequences of taking these – either deliberately or inadvertently,” said Thomas Lund, BWF COO.

Zhou Mi (HK) in the proceedings acknowledged that she had taken some common over-the-counter medication but was unaware whether or not it had contained any prohibited substance.

“The BWF together with WADA conduct both ‘out-of competition’ and ‘in-competition’ testing on a regular basis and athletes need to be aware that they are ultimately responsible for everything they ingest – whether it is taken deliberately or inadvertently” Lund added. “And this case shows that for a first offence, the punishment is severe”.

The sanction means that ZHOU Mi cannot participate in any badminton at the international,*national and local level for a period of 2 years.

To read more click on Hong Kong BA media release, BWF media release and Doping Hearing Panel decision on the above issue.

Source : Badminton World Federation
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=39476

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

serves her right, well done BWF, finally they have the guts to go and suspend high class players found to be cheating, it sets an example to the other players, if you cheat, you will be caught.

Over the counter medicine seems to everyones excuse.

19. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
  20. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student