Playing Doubles: Words of Advice to Partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shooting stroke, Aug 24, 2010.

1. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    me and my partner are really quite mellow and when we lose we are like meh :p but at the level we play at we have pretty good defenses and other teams get really really annoyed with us as they just can't break through then end up hitting it out or the net and we have only play 2 matches this season and we have had a lot of screamers and racket throwers :p

2. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    I, myself, is a critic type. I usually start to boil over if my partner starts to play awkwardly and doesn't listen to my suggestions but I utter words of encouragement if my partner made a beautiful shot like 'nice one", "beautiful".

But what if my partner just want to play and don't mind if we lose without giving the best? Mostly in third game at crucial points and start to play aimlessly and seems like that he is giving the points to the opponents? What will i say knowing that my partner is older than me?

Here are what he do in a game:
    1) his service, most of the time, are flick serves, and the receiver is a good smasher. I already told him that if he serves like that most of the time, he is giving our opponents the chance to take the point.

2) his short serves are high. He wants to do a fake flick serve and ending-up with a high short serve.

3) during a flat rally, he ends up hitting the shuttle like hitting a table tennis ball (chop or spin, he is twisting his racket) which is not applicable in hitting the birdie.

I am criticizing his actions not because I am a better player than him, but, i want him to overcome his weaknesses and improve on his game play.

And honestly, it does affect my game play. I admit and say sorry if i committed a mistake.

Even if the game is a social game, for me, the goal is to have fun, to give extra challenge to my opponents, of course, to win. I am still good even if i lost a game if i gave my opponent a good game.

I cannot choose who will be my partner. A person in my group "dictates" (he monopolizes) who will pair-up in a game. And "weaker players" mostly become my partner and this "dictator" chooses better players most of the time. I am the youngest in the group.

3. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

In that case just play with the goal of practicing some of your shots. For example if your partner doesn't want to listen to you and does high serves then just start practicing your drop or cross court drive smash returns. I normally then just go in and think to myself that this is just a drill type game where the point is not to win, but to practice just a certain shot. I'll play games with myself and try to win a point with only clear and drop or drive and smash. Sometimes all I'll hit is cross court low clears. In some games I'll try to improve positioning by moving faster or practicing better footwork.

You just have to adjust your mentality and make something out of it for your benefit instead of just winning the game.

4. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Thanks dimcorner.

I have to adjust more (both attitude and mentality) to suit my partner's game play.
    I still do my best in our game even if he doesn't listen and is tiring for me.
    I am not after winning every game. I just want him to improve so that we're not like sitting ducks in our game.

This wasn't just for me, it is for my partner, too.

5. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I gave up on trying to help people that don't ask for it. They will generally not take any sort of direction given (especially older adults). Not saying its not possible, but usually they are set in their ways already unless they specifically ask for tips and have the desire to get better.

There is one guy in our club that TRULY believes his tactics and techniques are correct and it's only his execution is off because he has been playing in "tournaments" 20+ years ago in Europe. He holds the racquet at the very end for serves and tries to twist the face of the racquet to give it extra pop for the flick serves. Of course 50%+ of his short serves are 40cm above to net so easy kill/push. He also thinks that a good defensive position is to squat RIGHT ON the service line with racquet over head to intercept smashes. Also 90% of his net drops are cross court, I don't think he has played against anyone that is as fast or faster than me, but I have no problems with them and can get to them fairly easily. I tried telling him that maybe 20 years ago it might have worked because the equipment was not as powerful so flick serves and intercepting smashes was easier.

He won't change so I stopped trying and now I just play to practice my shots and not get clashes. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to go into the game knowing what to expect and just try to get something out of it for yourself. If you try to change someone that doesn't want to change then all you accomplish is to frustrate yourself. I go into game with a goofy attitude (and my smiley face stencil racquet) and just play expecting to loose, but focusing on my techniques. Sometimes when playing against this person they will win because I take an even weaker opponent just so I can run around more to condition. My partner is actually happy because they get to play a more advanced game and I try to set him up for easy kills.

#25 dimcorner, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  6. Barca

Barca Regular Member

The most frustrating for me is having a partner who does not give in his all. While I am putting my 110% effort in winning points, it is plain obvious that he is just not into the game.

I would rather have an average player who give his level best than a good player who is just taking it easy. Winning is not everything to me. I don't mind losing as long as my partner and I have already pushed ourselves to the limit.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Give em a slap man. haha. Just kidding. Just chill and relax, its only a game, you get good game and bad game at times. ;)

If you can't take it, try to find another team to play with. Am sure there are more serious groups. ;) Just advertise yourself in the forum, am sure you will get some replies. ;)

8. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

You know.. Sketchy and shooting stroke.. I totally agree that singles and doubles are different. I guess that wasn't the best way to say it. I'm actually better at doubles compared to singles and I'm quite adept to doubles strategy too. When 90% of the shots are aimed at your partner, you know you are the better player. It's just irritating when you are blamed for losing the point when your're forced to take chances and pushed out of position while trying cover for your partner.

9. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

LOL, I can relate to that. Opponents usually give up hitting to me because I specialized in doubles play (I suck at singles, hate to run and don't really know the advanced tactics). During the game I find myself trying to anticipate shots and basically rush to position BEFORE they hit it in order to get some shots myself. Most of the smashes don't come to me because I focused my style on defense / counter attack and they know it after 1 or 2 smashes. My partner usually clears all the time or drops all the time and they just keep hitting it back to him.

10. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    i play recreationally... i like to play for fun and try to make it fun for my opponents as well (if they're weaker, or just making a lot of clumsy mistakes they usually don't make)... I'm not too sure, but I think sometimes they think I'm mean doing this. ...Depending on how I read them (whether they want a competitive match or just a fun rallying match) I try to accomodate with the rest of the players on court.

...as for what communication goes between my various partners and me, I'll try and separate it into parts for better understanding??? haha

1) Competitive match... I'll try my best and if my partner is having a rough time executing shots... I'll try and cover the best I can without saying much other than, "relax, take your time with the shots, etc." Maybe do some extra set up shots so my partner can finish the point???

2) Neutral match... Still, trying my best but I guess I won't be as aggressive as the opponents will be less aggressive in their play because we're all just wanting longer fun rallies... experimenting with shots, trickshots, etc. Not much to tell my partner, ...just have fun... if they want to change the gameplay to more aggressive I'll be happy to oblige.

3) Nonsense match... A match for me usually doesn't turn to "nonsense" unless the partner I'm with is just a compete ****. For these games I'll do random shots and practically mess around... Usually if it's my partner being the ****... the opponents won't be... so I'll still try enough to keep the birdie in play to prolong the rallies and see what the opponents can throw, all at my partner, Mr. Dickwad.

11. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    badies are bad lol

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    We're in the same shoes. I used to be a singles player when badminton wasn't that known in our country. When it got popular, I switched to doubles. And man! I enjoy it more, especially when partnered with someone who knows the proper rotation.

And yes! I can totally relate when your partner is singled out during a match. Sometimes it gets boring if I don't intervene in the rally. If if force intervention, of course that would mean I would have to risk being out of position, thus, comitting an error.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    This remind me well about such scenario. I once had a internal league match (double) where you can't pick your partner but it's thru a vote....and i end up pairing with a beginners from out of off all the player in our team. He is so new in terms of familiraising with badminton that even a proper serve also seems to be a painstalking stroke to him....not to mention to hit accurately for any strokes. At the end..it is like i'm playing single against a double player while he is just there to do a serve and went up hiding under the net:D:D:D:D:D hahahahaha

14. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I keep quiete except for 3 to 4 cases.

1. When my partner does not follow doubles movement patern (I already got injured once)-I just tell them to spread out for defence & front back for attack.

2. When I move frond anticipating a smash or drop from my partner and he clears where I get smashed on my face.

3. When my partners makes too many unforced errors-I usually tell him to attack the middle court till you get your touch.

4. Fancy shots-I hate them.

But I am trying to change myself-to keep calm more often.

15. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Definitely. And then you'll get blamed fo rnot having a good defense. Pffft!

16. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Is this some kind of "holier than thou" thread? Sure, if the self-shoulder patting makes your day, go ahead :D I have found out, that the first stone casters are sinners themselves, including me.

17. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Cant tolerate weak mentality

Agreed. Having a partner who is more positive in attitude/mentality is better than one who excel technique wise only.

Just the other day, I played againts a very good and speedy player who would intercept and kill off any loose returns you make. Also his stance while waiting for service is intimidating enough for you to make an error and that is exactly what he wanted to achieve.

I played ok and tried not to get to much pressure on myself. In fact I played beyond my ability that day or whenever I faced an opponent of such caliber. But my partner.......:crying:

Eventually we lost the match.

I was so disappointed and chided on my partner not because we lost but specifically because of his weak mentality.

I said so because on other sessions when we played againts much lesser opponents, he (my partner) would behave like a tiger and acted very confidently. He would executes spectacular shots. Such a "fighter" or so it may called...:eek:

Now when facing this tough guy, all those fighting spirits of his suddenly disappeared!:confused: Its no where to be seen. Shaky hands and unforced errors were everywhere.:(:D

I was furious also because he should be doing what he does normally especially when the going gets tough and not reversed the situation. To me this is the determining factor of winning and losing. How good the opponents are is secondary.

Anyway after the match we had a good conversation and I explained the eventual circumstances we would be facing when we have such mentality.

I can tolerate players with poor skills (I am myself) but this kind of court-behaviour is just unacceptable to me.

18. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Well said;);););). I rather be defeated but still hapiily enjoying the game playing with a supportive partner rather having a stressfull one.

19. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

We all play badminton for the fun of it... a fact a lot of people lose sight of.

20. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    im lucky to have good partner, sometimes...

sometimes its really hard if you dont have a regular partner, a lot of adjustments have to be made. during these times i dont really care if i win or lose the game, most of the time these players are strangers, i cannot ask them what to do inside the court, its lucky if i could have a good partner, but last night??? sigh.. sigh...