LCW vs Lin Dan... who will be better in this tournament?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by weak_yihan, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Aiyoo Bbn, you are talking A, we are talking B, but still using analysis. We are talking prediction on how LCW & LD will perform this AG, based on form, etc,etc. Same as what was done during AE and WC (thus far Limsy's 'prediction' on how LD will perform has been accurate).
    My 'trends thingy' is better for KKK/TBH, haha

Some of the points you all are discussing are on 'olden day' players, say....Yang Yang is Yang Yang, factors surrounding his win or lost is different from LD & LCW. Even LD & LCW have different factors as each individual player is different, yes I know you all got discuss that also.

#141 eaglehelang, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    different generations lah. Good one eagle. Ah Lim ah..... quickly ah.... no need to study la.... I am drooling aledy.... lol. ;)

3. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

in comparison, datuk will not be even malaysia's best player ever. he is 3rd, after eddy choong, rashid sidek.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    1st of all
    'lcw is the 1 or 2 or 3 best in malaysia are not in the topic'

2nd
    yup,i agree on kak helang
    the title in this topic is simple
    the word better is simple
    advance further in draw
    win more medal etc
    read the word IN THIS TOURNAMENT
    no one saying by beating ld in ag,lcw will be the better one than ld in history
    lol

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Its relevant as far as if LCW win then it will even further increase the profile of MAS badminton that her arguably 3rd best player of all time can beat CHN all time best. And if LCW loose then its normal he's playing againts CHN badminton powerhouse all time best player. So LCW has nothing to loose, hasn't he?? Therefore i think he has a good chance this time, perhaps so far there is too much pressure put on him by MAS public

#145 Yoppy, Oct 28, 2010
  6. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I concur. I remember it was all ''is LD to lose in WC'' before the WC. How it went from ''LD is the hot favourite and no one could possibly beat LD'' to "I expected LCW to finally win WC" still baffled me. A 360 degree in twisting his own argument, does it reminds you of how a flip flop works?

Anyway, it's time for your trend again;). Let's see how close you can get it right this time:D:p.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I joined the thread after thread no.79 and when the topic swinged to whether LD "overshadowed" LCW and things like that eg.who LD lost to, who

LCW lost to, without a frame of reference.

Whether someone overshadowed or not is subjective and needs some kind of benchmark.that's why the name of oldies cropped up., for want of

better examples.

if you want to compare players you need some kind of measurement, LD is in a class with some of the oldies , other oldies dont even qualify
    In badminton a benchmark is to use past records, how great a player is for eg. is seen in the way China defines who its legends are.
    even being champions, so they are in a different class.in gymnastics the method of measurement is different you aggregate points and can become

an instant legend, there is no need to benchmark it to past performances.Check out the word benchmark in Wiki.

You dont read a posting in a vacuum, see it as a bigger picture, starting from when and how it developed,and read between the lines.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

That was the moment when I joined in. You never see me involved in threads like this.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Its another way,albeit very politely of using a benchmark of legendary status or below legendary, of predicting the outcome of A vs B.

if you read carefully by using all these benchmarks its trying to say That A vs B is a match of players involving a different class.The probabilty of A in

the higher class winning is better on paper provided he is on form and he has not aged too fast.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

If you want a simplified approach without analogies and reading between the lines, all I am saying (after sidelining by explaining different benchmarks etc ) is :

1) LD is a legend and his career record stands out even amongst the best in the past,past because there is no better way to compare.

2) In terms of PAST records, LCW has still to match LD or even PAST Malaysian legends.

3) So, in terms of PAST records, on paper it would seem LD has a better chance of winning.

4) However LD is no longer LD of the PAST, he has been losing regularly recently either because he is getting old and trying to adapt to a new playing style.You never know LD he may even repeat his Olympics performance once in a while.

5) LCW however is in good condition and winning regularly ,getting to know LD better because he has been studying his PAST performances.

6) Base on the above, the probability of LD regaining form does not look too good as this has similarly happened to PAST players like YY eg.

7) The probability of LCW beating LD in ASian games also depends on how he copes with the challenge.

8) On paper because of PAST RECORDS LD looks a better bet, but in the future event, the past may no longer be relevant because the situation has been changed by time.

9) LEGENDARY players have the ability to pull out something from the bag, as against players of lessor status, and it has happened in the PAST,
    this is because of their class and their experience (of course I wont cite examples anymore).

I think the above example is simplified enough to be understood without the need to think too much.Note the keyword PAST being repeated.
    However talking in the terms above is dangerous because it is based on too many presumptions and probably too many ready conclusions, it will lead to many arguments on even the small parts.
    and always best avoided.

The best way is to pick up the key words, tools , measurements etc and allow the reader join together the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle,let them come to their own conclusions but it is difficult if the reader has not reached a certain learning standard, so a little Spoonfeeding is done here.

Now I have explained when and how I joined the thread, have explained all the tools used, even provided the methodology,

instead of harping on the small issues, do something positive and propose a better way of doing the evaluation instead of picking on the little pieces.

To make decisions, you need facts, past records, figures, standards, benchmarks etc.and also a methodology to help make decisions,

otherwise in the business world no one would take your proposal seriously.

if you still cannot follow the above simplified analysis, it is not your fault, you simply have not reached that cognitive level and have some way to go.

But if you think you can, show me a better way and be positive.

#150 Bbn, Oct 28, 2010
  11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

You are right, young people are still on the learning curve and still learning.There is not much to fall back on.

But it will change over time and after more years.

Things past seem very unimportant compared with so many new thing s to learn.

But there will be cases when reference to the past cannot be avoided, however boring it may seem.

12. il megafono

il megafono Regular Member

Maybe it's their habit? The noise makers are only good at what they are doing which

is making a whole bunch of noise even before the tournament

begins.

13. laonong

laonong Regular Member

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Now I am beginning to see where the source of the problem in this thread originated.

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

But that was not in any way to say that's only or best benchmark to use. I was just saying and supporting your idea that the past is in many ways relevant to the context of this thread.

My personal opinion, latest form is the best indicator. LCW has the upper hand now, but LD wont give up just yet especially knowing what record he can breaks.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

history will repeat it self

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

That's why I didnt say anything till now. That's why I think you didnt catch what we mean, all that you say is well & good to compare LD & LCW careers. To cut a very long story short, we are talking on current form(including any injury), current issues, I use the term "current trends". Read the AE, WC threads if you have the time.
    I see that the other members have also tried to explain to you. LD and LCW are not the same as LD & LCW say... 2 years ago.

The thread starter just wanted to know during this Asian Games who will do better, as from the thread title, very simple only. To me, it not necessarily mean LD meet LCW. Can be calculated as in the colour of medals they win,who get more gold.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Thanks all members for clarifying. Not asking for support Yoppy just trying to consider all possible options.

Definitely current form is the best indicator, but outstanding players with their unusual talent may be able to

spring new surprises especially playing at home . Definitely on recent form LCW is ahead, but expect the unexpected?

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Thanks all members for clarifying. Not asking for support Yoppy just trying to consider all possible options.

Definitely current form is the best indicator, but outstanding players with their unusual talent may be able to

spring new surprises especially playing at home . Definitely on recent form LCW is ahead, but expect the unexpected?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.