Chinese Badminton Association (CBA) making Badminton as one of China's top sports

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Aug 29, 2010.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    CBA will not make badminton as one of the premier sports and maintain that aura, if they allow favouritism within the ranks. The powers-that-be (LYB etc etc) must demonstrate their faith and confidence in the younger players by giving them their head if for example, the finals at any event become an all-China affair.

So if the finalists are CJ and LD at any event, I would give CJ an even chance right now, and odds-on favourite in 18 months. If LD is still around, that is... :)

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    There are only 2 schools there, one is Shaw Road Elementary (standard 1 to 6) where I went. So, if you went there, we were from the same school.
    The other is Victoria Institute, at that time the best school for the elite (smartest) students in KL. Of course, I did not go there:D:p So if you were at V.I., then you must be smart, and judging the grammar you use in writing your posts, I am not surprised.;)

Then I went to San Peng, not so much famous for textiles but otherwise called the 'gangster' school. Failure rate in Form 3 is ultra high, out of the five Form 3 classes, only the A class has 2 failed out of 50, B class maybe 5 passed out of 50, C and D followed Hafiz habis-lah and E class which was an all-girl class (there were some cute ones there) 2 passed and one of them was my 'friend';)

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Off topic a bit, the school was famous for producing great badminton players that were not from Penang.

Nowadays this school is no longer elite but is for those pursuing music and cricket.

4. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    True, VI had produced some great national players for Malaysia...I used to watch them play the inter-school championship....gonna end this off-topic, testing the Mods tolerance.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic:
    ..if referring to the individual event, last time i checked, CJ is still in the draw; as a matter of fact, he's in the same half with that Datuk LCW. I haven't read anything abt CJ pulling out or withdrawing and being replaced.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I saw that too but I just assume CJ is out of AG10 as someone reported that CJ pulls out. If that is the case, barring an upset to all 3 players, LCW will probably has to go through CJ in SF before face-off with LD, while LD has only to deal with either CJ or LCW. LD path to the final is easier than LCW IMO.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Here's an interesting, if somewhat dated artice from the Telegraph, earlier this year.

"The China Badminton Super League was launched last weekend in an attempt to fulfil a government directive that sport should become more commercial and play a greater role in generating revenue for the economy. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...domestic-badminton-league-under-scrutiny.html

There are some interesting thoughts and comments from LYB, as well.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Well, china badminton will become more like EPL and there'll be lots of money all round.

10. fengyunfan

fengyunfan Regular Member

Yes, exactly, badminton has become the most fashionable and favorable sports in China, especially among wealthy and well-educated people, thus more and more brands have interest in this field. Dongfeng Peugeot Citroen Automobile was the fifth who sponsor the national team, before them there were China Bank, Fedex, Lining and Redbull.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That's fantastic of CBA when it attracts sponsors! It's an indication of the badminton status in China. Tournament prize money is another indicator of how well badminton has arrived.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Probably the king of sports amongst the emerging middle class, but I'm sure Golf will remain the sport of the elite

and super-rich.I think badminton still cannot challenge football and basketball in overall popularity.

13. laonong

laonong Regular Member

football have lots of audience but not as many participants as badminton in china's major cities.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Why is Badminton not getting bigger audience?

This is true. There is always huge audience for Football in almost all countries worldwide.

This brings us a question: Why is Badminton not getting bigger audience? :confused::confused::confused:

Perhaps the skills required to play well in Badminton is harder to appreciate; compared to the skills required in Football. I could be wrong, but I have gathered this info from many of my non-Badminton playing friends.

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Does anyone know if LD or LYB gets more sponsors? Or are they equal? ;) Interesting to know. ;) Coz, one of our member samson mentioned LYB name. ;) Just woke me up. ;)

16. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Badminton is getting bigger audience

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton is getting bigger audience

This is indeed good news for us Badminton lovers.

18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

This question should submit to myth buster.

I could understand why soccer is much appreciated. But how about golf and curling? Does it also require deep understanding to appreciate the game? At least badminton is fast and furious. :confused::confused::confused:

19. laonong

laonong Regular Member

One do need some some understanding to appreicate badminton. I used to play without net and do not quite appreicate the professional player's skill. Golf is boring to me.

20. laonong

laonong Regular Member

to Chris-ccc

but it's not comparable to pingpong in China. Professional pingpong players make much more money than badminton players because those pingpong players get more money from their clubs.

if we could get rid off those opens such as French open, swiss open, taiwain open etc and put more money on China clubs just like Pingpong, badminton players can earn more money. Of course it depens on China's economy.