Looking to Learn how to String (NYC)

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vipjun, Oct 11, 2010.

1. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

I've decided to take a bigger dive into badminton and think learning how to string my own racket would help improve my understanding of the game.

Was wondering if someone around the NYC area would be nice enough to share their experience of stringing and maybe show me the ropes a few times? =)
    I'm willing to pay the stringing charge, just want to learn how to do it myself.

Willing to travel to your area , on your availability. I'm probably going to get a drop weight system sometime in the near future, or if someone so happens to have an old machine for sale =).

I've been reading the stringing forums and online video's, but really i'm kind of more the social person and would like to take this opportunity and interact with someone rather than sit in the basement for hrs upon hrs trying to figure it out myself.

Also, since i'm probably going to be just a hobby stringer. It would probably take a much longer span of time to get proficient if I had to reinvent the wheel over again.

#1 vipjun, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Contact lazybuddy for help.

3. Openg

Openg Regular Member

Engineer
    Nice plan bro, Just like me, i'm very exciting to stringing my own racket too. I buy a cheap manual crank machine then start to explore. I do it by myself and found its very hard to do, but this forum encourage me to be a good stringer... Sure there will be problem but thats ok as long we try to find a better way to do. Now i already string my friend's racket, i show them how to stringing in a good way, cos all shops in my city always tension Main from side (main #12). Buy a stringing machine will satisfy your soul, hehehhe...

4. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

GJ, How long / many rackets did it take you before you became proficient? Still looking for someone to take me as an apprentice =/

5. Openg

Openg Regular Member

Engineer
    3 rackets, and i'm sure i have a good xp, right now i'm gonna improve the speed for stringing a rackets. Just do it slowly and pay more attention to the frame, string and the machine when you start to stringing. It takes time, 3 hours for me for first rackets, not satisfied but enjoy the progress. Lucky us, this forum giving all stuff for the best result on stringing,,,

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry that I missed this thread. Haven't read the post as often as I used to do. Let me know where you usually play, and we can surely have a chit chat. :)

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Definitely agree. I remembered that my 1st racket used to take me 4.5 hrs (if not 5...)

8. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

Hi Lazy, I usually play in manhattan, but once in a while in queens and brooklyn. from some of your posts it seem you live in long island . If you can't go to the manhattan locations, i can come to yours one of these days or when i go to queens most likely CP.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I actually live in Queens. Now days, I usually play in brooklyn (John Dewey HS) on Sat, and NYBC (the new gym) on Sundays. However, I never visited CP. So, let me know when you will show up, and we can surely have a chat. :)

10. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

Hi Lazy, I maybe stop by JD HS one of these saturdays , i'll let you know before i go to get in contact with you. Thanks.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No problem. Also, I think we can use the PM instead the thread... :)