who will win Mixed doubles Gold ?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, May 27, 2004.

?

who will win mixed doubles gold?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2004.
  1. Kim Dong Moon / Ra Kyung Min

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kim Yong Hyun / Lee Hyo Jung

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nathan Robertson / Gail Emms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Zhang Jun / Gao Ling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nova Widianto / Vita Marissa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Kim, the power monger from the back, hitting back the shots with strength and venom, titan of badminton doubles. Ra, the calm architect in front, rising up to catch the enemy unwary with her delightful control, her arms controlling her net domain jealously, goddess of the doubles game.

Please, win, Kim/Ra. For our sakes.:D

2. flymordecai

flymordecai Regular Member

You put it so eloquently, wilfredlgf. :D

I think these are the favorites in this order:

1. Kim/Ra (The favorites, barring any injuries. They SHOULD win. Kim controls the back court. Ra owns the front. They're a deadly combination.)
    GAP
    2.Zhang/Gao (Second only to Kim/Ra. They've beaten Kim/Ra in their better days. Zhang is now old and slower, it seems. Gao is still her great ol' self. Hopefully she's recovered from her injury.)
    3. Robertson/Emms (Robertson, controls the back well. Emms has improved a lot. Not so much of a liability, but more of a weapon.)
    4. Widianto/Marissa (Widianto, I like this guy. Very powerful from the back. Marissa is great at the net.)
    5. Sudket/Thungthangkom (Sudket, powerful player. Plays the front a lot, but that's a good strategy as they both look alike. Same hairstyle, height, and everything! Saralee is a great player.)
    6. Chen/Zhao :)( Zhao is awesome, but poor results this year so far. Chen just needs to retire. :D Come on, Cai, play with Zhao!)
    7. Kim/Lee (Haven't seen them play yet, but a poor man's Kim/Ra? Also, I put them at seven because I forgot about them. And I was too lazy to bump everyone after Zhang/Gao down a spot, which is funny because that would have been easier than explaining my reason for putting them at #7. Ok, I'm gonna shut up now.)

3. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I'm relishing the possibility of Kim/Lee pulling off a stunner against Kim/Ra (don't hate me!).

For sentimental reasons, I hope Kim/Ra will win - Ra Kyung Min was a player I literally grew up with. When she started out on the international circuit at age 18, I was a stupid 12-year old struggling to get into middle school. Now that she's 28 and on the brink of retirement, I'm a (still stupid) 22-year old struggling to get out of school. And of course, there's the usual (and perfectly logical) argument that they're the best pair in the world now.

As for Kim/Lee, I think it's always nice to see the underdog pull off something big. And if they manage to defeat their seniors - which doesn't look 100 per cent likely - it will be HUGE.

Once again, DON'T hate me!

4. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Excellent observation, New Guy!

5. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

:mad: I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! *bish bish bish bish bish* Better not speak so soon and later find yourself drowning in smoke and beer. Tsk. :rolleyes: Kim/Ra will be very determined to win and possibly at all costs. To quote, "Candra/Tony won because they really wanted it" and I hope Kim/Ra will be blessed with the same luck. Yes, luck, because they have all the skill, which contributes 99%, and all they need is that 1% to prevent a repeat of the Sydney tragedy.

Anyway, their victories and defeats are not within our control and it doesn't make much sense to hate an uninvolved person. Just hoping that majority of us (I'm assuming, judging from the posts) will get our wish and will not have to wallow in depression again then. Since it all depends on the draw too, they might or might not even meet, though I hope they will when it matters. If there is any upset I wanna see, then I hope Kim/Lee will pull one off against Zhang/Gao. Not as big a shocker as defeating the almighty Kim/Ra and the possibility is actually there, but Zhang/Gao are hot favs behind Kim/Ra after all.

My turn to tell all Zhang/Gao fans not to hate me. :p

*keeps fingers crossed*

6. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

It should be the usual final duel between Kim/Ra and Zhang/Gao.
    While the Koreans are the favourites, I think the Chinese will win in 3 games.

Kim should be a bit tired by then if he progresses far enough with Ha in doubles. The Chinese pair seems to respond better to pressure.

That's my prediction...

It would certainly be nice to see Kim/Ra win the Gold.

7. videoguy

videoguy Regular Member

KIM/RA definately will win the GOLD MEDAL, and perhaps they will sacrifice the MD and WD to guarantee this GOLD. As to Zhang/Gao, they even will not be in the final at their present standards. Zhang/Gao must work very hard to make miracles happen again.

8. jeicegreen

jeicegreen Regular Member

Why do you think that Kim and Ra will sacrifice in MD and WD? :D :D
    No.. If they must sacrifice MD and WD, they will decide not to play MD and WD in Olympics. And a number of games in Olympics is fewer. Gao ring must also play both WD and XD. Kim/Ra are very experienced players. Anyway they will not give up MD and WD absolutely. :)

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Honestly, I think the koreans have got it in the bag this time around...next olympics things will be pretty different IMO but this time...koreans seem to still be going strong

10. henrileconte

henrileconte Regular Member

Well, I have seen all the koreans and the british pairs play at this years Dutch Open. Everyone came out after a period of preparation and Kim/Ra only lost points when they more or less fell asleep. They won the final with 2 and 4 against the other Koreans. So if lightning doesn't strike them down on court, they will win it without any shade of a doubt. Or maybe in Athens it would be better to say, if the roof doesn't come down because of bad construction...

11. ~Tracy**

~Tracy** Regular Member

Go korea!!

Kim and Ra rock..!! i'm positive tat they'll win...all the best...