Yonex new product voltric 70

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by vfliew, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    24lbs @ nbg98

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 15 characters.

2. amirru

amirru Regular Member

engineer
    Hey bro,

Heard also tat the recommended tension is only max to 24 lbs??!! is it true?? (if u still hv the broken VT70 laa..).. : )

3. Sui-MY

Sui-MY Regular Member

Badmintoner
    max is 25 lbs for vt70

4. Ultraman

Ultraman Regular Member

Wah... Only 25lbs. My normal tension is 28 0r 27.. I got to think twice before get this racket...

5. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    max is 24 lbs for 4U
    25 lbs for 3U

that`s the recommendation from yonex......i know a lot of players play with higher tension and it works just fine

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, all Yonex rackets have ridiculously low recommendations. Just ignore that, if you don't need the warranty - it's usually void after the first bigger paint chip anyway. One of the reasons I prefer Li Ning - their recommended tensions go up to 28x30, which is much more reasonable for the asian market - Germans tend to string very soft up to a pretty high level (only 6th league and above string @25+ more than occasionally), most regional players are satisfied with 19-22lbs.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I've always wondered about tensions used in the colder Northern countries vs. the warmer tropical countries. Is it possible that strings feel tighter with lower temperatures, so lower tensions are required for colder climates? :confused:

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Maybe - I'm not too knowledgeable about the influence of temperature on badminton equipment yet - but it's true that strings snap easier when it's colder. If they feel tighter, I can't say. Although somehow all stringjobs I got by Germans (except for 1 stringer) and my own machine seem to string tighter than others - when I compare Mark's 24lbs to mine, mine's definitely tighter, and when I compare Mark's 25lbs to a 24lbs string I got from a professional, the 24 one is much tighter. That's not to say Mark's stringjobs are bad, far from it, they're pretty great as far as I'm concerned, but somehow there seems to be a difference between Germany and any other country :D and no, I did not take 10kg for 20lbs (which, sadly, is a common mistake around here).

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Got a chance to test it today (4U@24bls), although it was only an hour (I had to work like 18hrs the last few days)...my first impression: man, this is a flexy racket. I'm pretty used to medium-flex rackets (N50II + N70, my usual rackets, are not stiff imop), but this felt soft even for me. Timing on smashes was so off I constantly hit the frame in the first 30min. I think it was caused by a mix of the flexible shaft and the fast head speed. That was the second noticeable thing: the speed of this racket is just amazing. My 4U version is as fast as my PP Precisions (83g@283/287mm) in defense, and even faster when smashing. Drives were pretty fast, probably due to the flex, and backhand clears/smops were much easier (and mostly, better).

This racket feels very soft compared to most of the LN N series, and fast&light in comparison to the ArcZ. It's a much better racket than the ArcZ imop, because the timing is much easier and faster to get down, and the sweetspot is bigger. Compared to the N series, it lacks power, reasons are the flexy shaft (Yonex' 'medium' seems to be different from Li Ning's!) and the light weight of the 4U - it's comparable to the BS09 and the N77. 3U will probably be on par with BS10/11, LN N33, Ti-10 3rd gen., perhaps N50/55.
    The problem is the flexible shaft - even I, a barely-intermediate player, thought it lacked power in smashes. A tighter string might help, but still, the racket doesn't feel very solid when smashing.

The 4U version is a nice racket for a net player in doubles, as it's very fast to maneuver around and generates good power with small motions. High level players will probably miss the stability and raw power of a stiffer shaft.
    The 3U version is also suited for intermediate singles players who prefer a flexier shaft to save energy and rely on accuracy and speed, not on hard smashes.
    To all who are familiar with it, this racket feels like a slightly more powerful PP Precision with a softer shaft.
    The price is a bit high imop, for that much money I would expect a more powerful racket, especially since the Voltric Series will be the successor of the Armortec series.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Thx for the review j4ckie.

More powerful than the PPP, eh?

What's the bp of the V70 with grip and string?

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

With my usual towel grip (standard grip removed due to bigass handle) and string it's @300mm. Seeing that, a 3U will probably be on par with a N50, maybe even a bit more powerful - BP of the N50 strung&gripped is 272, N50II 282. The BP283 Precision is @270 now, so my grip seems to change the BP by 10-14mm (depending on the weight of the racket, the length of the grip, yadda yadda yadda). If you use other grips, it'll be head heavier. Should've gotten the 3U....maybe for Christmas? :D

12. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    anyone willing to let me try their voltric for 5 mins :)

so many times I've bought a racquet and made myself play with it even if I didnt like it

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow, so working backwards that means the V70 is approx 310mm if strung and overgripped normally with thin 0.6mm grip.

Being so head heavy (it is supposed to replace the AT series anyways), I suppose if yours were a 3U, then it won't be as fast to maneuver for doubles, especially in the fore court.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yup, that sums it up - although it's probably faster than a 900T, which was very popular with Chinese doubles players. I guess a 3U V70 would be just slightly slower than a 4U 900T.

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I still think it is far too flexy, and the 4u is too light.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Although it has made me anxious for the stiffer version - this racket is very nice already, way better than the Z-Slash imop, and would probably become my goto racket if it had a stiffer shaft (more like the N50II preferrably :D). I'll definitely be testing that one, and probably get it. Although I might have to start looking for ways to store all my rackets in a neat fashion as they take too much space already - and I'm far from finished with collecting :D

17. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Use to use the AT700 and just switched to the VT70 I actually like the VT70 more than the AT700 to be honest, it feels more solid and is a true pleasure to play with there are no aspects that I could find a problem with but thats just me. It simple feels right when im using it so Ill stick with it.

18. darkless

darkless New Member

I've measured the BP and weight of my 4UG4 VT70 with BG80 strings before and I applied a Wilson Pro overgrip. The BP was @305mm with just stock Yonex grip and @295mm with Wilson Pro overgrip on top of the stock grip. The weight was 88g with stock grip and 92-93g with overgrip on top. The flex of the racket with no playtime at all seems rather similar to my five months old 3UG4 Arc8DX, used twice a week.

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Are you using 3UG4 VT70 ?

20. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Yes all the ones I got are 3UG4, that's what yonex Canada had for me.

As well there strung 28 x 30lbs.