Does wearing spectacles bother any of you guys?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bluemp88lover, Jun 20, 2004.

1. bluemp88lover

bluemp88lover Regular Member

I just wanted to know if anybody is irritated by your spectacles dropping ever so often while you are playing badminton. I am so annoyed by this problem!:mad: Does anyone have a way to stop that from happening? Please do not ask me to take off my spectacles and play, I have problem seeing all the way to the other side of the court!:eek:

2. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    I'm wearing spectacles to while playing badminton. So far i do nit have any problem like my spectacles falling down. You may check at spectacles shop they do have something like a rubber where you may clip it at you head so it will no fall to the ground while playing badminton.
    :cool:

3. MakubeX

MakubeX Regular Member

Sometimes I use contact lens when playing, you can try it.:)

4. bluemp88lover

Quite expensive to do so.:eek:

5. bluemp88lover

I am not sure what this "thing" is. Can anybody post a picture of it here?:confused: Like they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".:p

6. hatecapletters

hatecapletters Regular Member

System developer
    Hi there,

when i started again with badminton 3 years ago, I found that it was a big problem. I soon got myself a pair of "sports-glasses" with plonged and more curved "holders" (haven't got the faintest idea what they are called). This worked fine for a while, but because they where hard to put on and take off, i got really annoyed with them. While i was struggling again with my normal glasses, i had some training sessions with our coach, and one of the things that improved very eraly on was my posture, keeping the upper body more relax, and letting the wrist and arm swing do the job. I discovered that when i play like that i don't have any problems at all with my normal glasses. Maybe you should get somebody to watch you while play and see if that's your problem too.

Now the only problem i have is being afraid that my double partners accidentially hits the glasses with thier rackets ;)

take care
    hatecapletters

7. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

Join 2 small rubber bands together and attached it to each ear piece. Next wear it and join both remaining ends of the rubber band with a paper clip, for easy removal. Make sure the bands are loose as they will grip on to the hair. If it is tight, it will be uncomfortable. :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don;t have a picture but it is a curved piece of rubber that slides on to the end of the arm of the spectacles.

It is shaped like a hook to go around the ear.

Much more difficult to find in HK recently. you might need to hunt around.

Alternatively, sports shops sell elastic attachments that attach to the arms and go around the back of your head.

The rubber band is not a bad idea either if you are less worried about looks.:)

9. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I'm not sure if they sell these in singapore, but in the past I've used a strapped eyewear retainer called "croakies". They make many different types and are more comfortable than elastic eyewear retainers.

Here's the link: http://www.croakies.com/

10. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor

Yes, they're great. You can buy them at (wind)surf shops. They only last a few years, so you should buy a couple. Also, make sure that you buy a Croakies cord that can be tightened in the back, otherwise your glasses might still drop off. The best cords that I've used are those made by Vuarnet, a brand specialized in sunglasses.

11. bluemp88lover

Thanks for all of your replies! I really appreciate it!:) I think i will try to find a "croakie". Hopefully that will be the solution to my problem!:p

12. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Just go to any optician and ask for a spectacle band, and they will probably show you the varieties that they have. I don't think these go by the name of a croakie in Singapore...

Make sure to try them out to see that they are comfortable before buying them.

13. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Hi bluemp88lover, what Cheung mentioned is right. It just a piece of black ellastic rubber where there is a hook or clip that you can hook or clip at the end of your glasses from one end to the other end behind your head. Crookie is just another brand. Currently the new trend is similar to the crookie look.
    Just go to any of the spectacle shop they will be able to assist you.

Thanks and regards.

14. jeffreyk

jeffreyk Regular Member

I have the "hook" but somehow it does not fit all types of glasses especially those wire or frameless ones.

15. other

other Regular Member

Student
    just buy another set of glasses, with more sturdy frames (maybe smaller as well so as not to slide around), bend the legs a bit so that they are slightly hooked around your ear, and also bend the glasses so that the legs are almost parallel, and not sticking out to two sides (this means the legs press against the side of your head). that should be enough to make sure it doesn't move around too much. of course if you have really nice glasses normally, thin frames etc, then get another pair!!

16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I used to have that same problem. Then those frames broke and I needed to get a new frame. I wasn't thinking about how the new frames will affect my playing. The new frames actually helped. For the time i've had my new frames, they haven't fallen off yet while playing. These new eyeglasses don't go around my ears but rather hold onto my temples. I think they're my temples haha. At least that's what I remember someone saying.

17. Whoop_Boy

Whoop_Boy Guest

18. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    If that is the case the easiest way is either you change to contact lens or buy new pair of glasses with thicker frame with spring

19. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Its awlful now for me wearing glasses for badminton its a problem
    AT first when i was younger not playing at such a level i was fine even up 2 U15 county juniors. However this last season withh my higher level play speed power fitness etc+ designer glasses ment that its was getting hard to keep them on during play. I now wear contact lenses for badminton and sport i have no problems and my games improving still plus i look better with contact lenses :cool: :rolleyes:

20. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I hate wearing glasses during play, it bothers me a lot. So, I have no choice but wearing contact lens. I will consider doing lasik surgery in the future as well as putting on and taking off the lens are simply wasting my time.