Lin Dan walkover in MO

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by xymaerts, Jan 21, 2011.

1. shokenchi

shokenchi New Member

lcw should learn from lin dan. if you are not healthy, dont play to risk injury. you can call it commitment but it can be called stupidity as well. you can play super series every year. why risk playing these when you can win the big ones like olympics or asian games which comes every 4 years. maybe thats the reason why lcw lost to lin dan in big tournaments so much, by overplaying himself. you can hate all you want about lyb and chinese badminton strategies, tactics, cheating, whatever you prefer to call, but it is good management. thats why china has been competitive all these years and powerhouses like indonesia has regress. but at least the withdraw is good for haters to criticize about chinese badminton or lin dan to make themselves feel better. :D

2. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

BTW: At the All England 2010 LD's strategy of playing less tournaments than his opponents failed. He definitely wasn't tournament ready and therefore lost to BCL. I'm pretty sure he would have like to win this kind of special championships.

So playing less doesn't automatically mean that you win tournaments more easily.

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If LD is really 'injured' then it is him with the blessing of the doc and BWF. If LD is faking it, then I agree with pBn post that LD is playing big brother to let his younger teammates get playing experience from the WR1. As you can see from the SF meeting with LCW, CL really get a valuable lesson from the grandmaster and CHN coaches can take notes watching LCW play. OLY12, if LCW keeps healthy, he sure is the top 1-2 favorites to win.
    And I agree with BCers that come KO11 with the record purse, LD will recover miraculously in time to play in a neutral arena away from KL where LCW is tough to beat.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Of course not. LCW played so much, I can only guess is LCW gets the high quality on court training that he couldn't get playing with his teammates and the $$$ is good, including bonuses. Without LD playing, LCW probably say 'hallelujah, thanks god for answering my prayers', so much the better. Sure, LCW is very fit, sharp and game shape ready. But it does expose his game to his opponents for them to get used and study his playing style, and he risks injury.
    You can point to LD losing in AE10 or even EAG10 as a result of playing less. You can pick and choose, then explain AG10, TC10 and even OLY08 where LD surprised everyone. I have said before, CHN players training session is like a SS finals where CHN have the majority of the top WR players all training under one roof in every department. And no other country has this priviledge/advantage. So LD or any CHN player not playing SS does not mean they do not get the high quality practice they need, only missing is the real competition readiness.

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I disagree. We are talking about sport here not business. It involves many good values not just simply a good management to win big tournaments. I think its only in badminton where a top player is allow to missed many SS and other important tournament and still got away with out sanction. Imagine Roger Federer missing/WO 3 grand slams in a row just to have a fresher leg for the next one or give away for younger countrymen to gain exp??

If LD is fit he should play, as simply as that. And thats exactly what LCW is doing, repect and passion of the sport. LCW put 100% efford in everytime he can, he also answer to no one but him self. I think thats the sort of mentality that reflex the meaning of the word "sport" a lot better than LYB and LD definition. Since when Sport = Winning??

LYB and CHN team are just lucky to have players like LD, their success has nothing to do with the good mgt. Im sure countries like INA KOR MAS and DEN (the traditional badminton nations) will raise to the task in the near future.

6. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

^If you're a professional athlete: Sports is a business and it's all about winning.

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    If I am not wrong, LCW's loss to BP at the AG10 was because he was sick (fever) and not an injury. If he didn't play 1st single, MAS wouldn't stand a chance at all. It was a team event and a commitment like what coblat said. Unfortunately he lost. On his win against BP in the individual event, you should be able to recover from fever after 2 to 3 days. No need magic pill.

In bold fonts, after all your points defending LD's WO, perhaps a 2% of you think LD is faking.

#47 nokh88, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Let's face it, there is absolutely no need to fake. All players at this level carry injuries of some kind to some degree. Until there is an object measure to determine how injured is too injured to play, this will remain a controversial issue.

Life is full of choices. LD's big goal is London 2012. It should be no surprise that any decisions made from now until then, will be made in the interest of success at London 2012. Unless a WO affects LD's qualification for the OG, surely, he/they will err on the side of caution and take a walk.

It sucks for the fans, LD's fans or otherwise. But it's just the reality.

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Any support?

Does anyone know if any X-Rays or Ultrasound or scan or stuff was carried out on the injured part of the body? If there is an abdominal pull or strain or tear, it should show up somewhere?

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You make LD sound so smart and LCW so stupid. Let me ask you : If LCW (and TH and PG) were to behave like LD, what sort of sport would badminton become?

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Then the new excuse will be diarrhoea.

12. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

Solutions !!!

The statement where LCW mentioned that nothing can be done by the BWF if a player does not want to play.There is a way,trust me, and this will scare the whole CHN badminton team.I call this hitting them where it hurts most and also striking at their weakest spot.Since the Olympics,Asian Games and World Championships means so much to China then take note of the below statement.

Listen carefully everyone here,if any badminton player(this applies to all countries) WO for no apparent or proper medical reason(this means a really thorough medical checkup/unbiased), for example 3 times,they will be banned from Olympic Games, Asian Games and World Championships.Apart from that, if the player doesn't compete in at least 10 tournaments in a season, that player will also be banned from the Olympics, Asian Games and World Cahmpionships.Let's see if the BWF implements this rule, I assure you China will change their way of doing things.

Besides this, Lin Dan will show up at more tournaments and not concede so many walkovers for fear of not being able to play at the Olympics or other big tournaments.
    Personally, I am waiting for BWF to implement this rule to ensure fans and people who love the game are not cheated and feel dissappointed(eg.regular WOs and not turning up for events by Lin Dan).:mad:

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    There must be a report filed with BWF as to what tests etc were conducted. Does anyone know what is generally the procedure followed in such cases?

14. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Regular Member

Technologist
    i was always taught that fair play, good sportmanship etc is important in sports since i was young. since when this is tolerated and some how you try to drag in other elements such as

"The fact that LYB keeps his job, continue to rule with an iron fist, is testamony to what degree the 'higher up' authority values LYB performance. And LYB is rich doing this, figure that out. On the other hand, you have BAM, a fragmented organization run by amateurs (as some posters stated that) and no unity in the malaysian camp and open warfare with threats of resignation, so how much better is that?"

Keep things simple. White or black, don't always roam in grey areas.

15. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Regular Member

Technologist
    if you are not healthy, don't risk yourself going to Korea in few days time too

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    "If you can't convince, then confound..."

17. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Regular Member

Technologist
    Oh yes. Like this.

18. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

I also feel that the BWF should do away with the mentoring aspect(advising aspect) meaning after every set and after 11 points in the third set the players will have an interval and the coaches will give advice on the sidelines.This to me is equivalent to babysitting.They players look like babies to me whenever I witness this occasion.No coach should be allowed to give advice to the players during the whole game,this will encourage the players to have better decision making skills rather then being babysitted throughout the game.I also notice that everytime any Chinese badminton player is lagging behind an opponent in a badminton game, after the interval(advising and highlighting of their opponent's weakness by coach), the China badminton player will change tactics and strategies and win the game because of tips by the coaches.I feel that this is not good for the game.
    By removing this regulation, the game will be more open and challenging,just like the good old days where players in the 90's and before never had the luxury of being given any advice by their coaches during intervals.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree, there's no need to fake.

So LD's big goal is OG12 and LCW's is not?

LD, the purportedly greatest name in badminton, is a coward. He takes on LCW only when he has no choice (in majors?) or he's confident of defeating LCW (in JO10 but failed.) Other times he chickened out in many ways : losing lamely to teammates (when LYB decides on the winner) in FO07/8?, AE10?, IO09? etc or giving W/Os , HK10, MO11, etc.

Actually LD's very boring to watch. The times he's great to watch is when he faces LCW because that's when you see him put in 120% effort as he cannot take chances with LCW.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Brilliant idea! Send it off to BWF and see if they have the guts to do it.
    The BWF should have a backbone. I remember how strongly the WTA handled one country trying to play politics. One Arab country refused to allow the Israeli tennis players to play.WTA fined the organisers big and I believe the country lost its tournament rights after that. For the ATP, they let the Israeli guy played but Andy Roddick pulled out in protest.
    Another idea. If a player gives W/O, he will lose all ranking points achieved in that tournament. That means we can expect LD to turn up in court and act injured for 2 points but at least the fans get to see his acting skills.