All England 2011

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by drew tze en, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So who is planning on going ?

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I'm going already bought the tickets months ago
    weekend season tickets !!!

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

make it 20 at least, not even in the wembley days.

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Leave your bazooka at home, georgie ...... But you could bring in those heavy Russian binoculars ..... I like.

5. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    has anyone got their tickets sent to them yet ?

6. drew tze en

YEP!!
    Got mine last year around july I can't remember

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Do you need it in Wembley?:D

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Oh, most definitely. I miss Wembley Arena, last time I was there was 21 years ago for the All-England, only to see Zhao Jianhua massacre Joko Suprianto in the most lopsided final ever in history of the tournament. Of course, now it's the new heavily renovated Wembley Arena.

I like the NIA too, but really, why does it have to be in Birmingham ......

9. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Birmingham is considered to be the central of England, they thought Birmingham is alot fairer for the others (from around England) to travel to the destination. At least, this is what I heard.

10. drew tze en

thats correct
    I can't wait till the All England 2011

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You were there to see that match...you lucky fella...that is the greatest baddy perfomance IMO.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I wouldn't mind at all if I were still living in London and not half a globe away ...... :eek: From Birmingham Airport, the shortest flight back home takes 17 hours instead of 12. Those Birmingham - London train services are not as convenient when rushing for a late night direct flight from London on the same day, after the finals.

Anyway, now that the All-England 2011 is a Premier Super Series Event, is there anything special in store compared to previous All-England Championships? Souvenirs and stuff? There's hardly any information on the official website, other than the Breakfast with Champions thing. The Indonesian Super Series event last year was a great benchmark on how to promote badminton, and would be extremely hard to beat ........ :D

#32 abedeng, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  13. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I agree that London will be so much more convenient for others. I do not know what's the exact reason behind shifting the All England Championship from London to Birmingham. I suspect it might be due to the cost. The sport doesn't have alot of money and maybe it's cheaper to rent a stadium in Birmingham compared to London.
    Looking at the bright side, at least the BE have the World championship in the Wembley Arena(they probably heard your call) and possibly for Olympics. That would save you guys alot of hassle.

Well, All England being a Premier Super Series or not does not change the profile of the sport in the country. If you substitute the word badminton with football, I am sure they can get alot more sponsor and do so much better than what they did. Seeing how this sport grows in this country...let's just say that I am already contented if they broadcast this event through cable TV for a start.

14. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The camera issue - You are not meant to take cameras into the hall, and persistent attempts to take photos without a flash may lead to camera confiscation. If you take a photo with a flash your camera will be taken from you pretty rapidly. People keep taking flash photos regardless of how many times they are told not to, so I think it is to help minimize this.
    If you have a good camera phone, just pretend to send a text and take a photo (turn the flash off).

Yonex have still got all the rights for the championship, so the AE2011 stuff will probably be similar to last year, but with a new AE shirt and probably a few new yonex shirts and racquets.

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The TicketFactory website says that for online purchases using overseas credit cards, the tickets will be held at the Box Office of the Arena for pickup. Not very convenient, I must say. If TicketMaster (BWF World Championships ticketing agent) could deliver by registered post to overseas customers, why can't TicketFactory?

16. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

When I went last year (2010) they didn't seem to mind compact/small cameras, but confiscated all SLR/DSLRs.

17. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    When I went last year they seemed to have a sixth sense regarding my friends camera. She took one photo, got told to put it away so did. Then later on she was getting her money out of her bag, which involved getting her camera out, the stewards came and told her (well me, but it wasn't my camera so I gave it back) to put the camera away immediately, even though it was resting on my legs facing into my body. This was in a seating area way up out of the way near the back on Friday evening.

Guess it's just luck of the draw but they seemed pretty sharp on stopping camera use last year. Although none I saw were confiscated, even for repeat offenders.

Also they were fairly thorough (but polite) in searching my backpack (and coat) on all occasions I went in the arena. I must look highly suspicious!

Looking forward to going this year, will be there Saturday and Sunday, tickets arrived last week, although I only ordered them 2 weeks ago.

18. drew tze en

Haha !! I order mine in October and it arrived on Monday !! :D

19. shinta

shinta Regular Member

this is not true ...

i recieved the tickets in the mail.

(netherlands)

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Whether it is true or not, it is what was said in the Ticketfactory website under Customer Service FAQ. Item 13.

13. Can my tickets be posted abroad?
    Tickets booked using cards that are registered to addresses outside the UK, cannot be posted abroad and instead will automatically be held for collection at the venue Box Office regardless of the delivery method chosen at the time of booking.

#40 abedeng, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.