Cab 20 Titanium Power SP

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dj4play, Jul 5, 2004.

1. dj4play

dj4play Regular Member

Ok, I got this raquet a coupla years ago (my dad actually bought it by accident for me), and i've been out of action for a while so my game is a little rusty... (hi im new btw lol)

but anyway, I found this really hard to play with recently - find my shots keep hitting the rim, and my shots were quite weak? my returns from smashes were falling short etc. I switched to a Ti10 and my game improved. Although the power was difficult to control at least my shots were hitting and clearing the net...

does anyone have experience with this raquet as I know the cab 20 has a big rep - but no one has really mentioned the cab 20 ti power except a girl as far as i've searched?

I found it strange that I preferred the Ti to the Cab 20 as I played with a Cab 15 SP since I was like 10, and it had been *my* raquet until it broke a few years ago.

Any opinions would be MUCH appreciated.:)

2. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Welcome to the forum :)

As much as I prefer the Ti 10 over my aluminum Cab 7000, I find that my shots on the Cab 7000 are very controllable, and dangerously powerful. And Ti 10 is long, Cab 7000 is regular length but I have no timing issue when switching between them.

I suggest that you do various drills with the Cab 20(clears, drives, drops, ...), as many ppl have recommended this racket, and I'm sure you can realize its full potential.

But since you have Ti 10 anyway, go ahead and use it if you want.

3. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I remember hearing or reading somewhere that the Cab20-Ti is a totally different racket than the Cab20, as it lacks power and feeling. Can't verify the source though, as I heard about it a couple of years ago and didn't bother to take notice of it then.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One possibility could be, Cab20 Ti Power is oval head, while Ti-10 is Iso. Ideally, ISO head shape offers larger sweet spot, therefore, the hitting accuracy is better. Of course, for oval racket lovers (including me), believe once we hit the sweet spot with oval racket, the power going to be more explosive. ;)

5. dj4play

dj4play Regular Member

yea this is what I mean - it's definately not like the old carbonex. My cab 15 sp was LOVELY and i could get real power with it. this Cab 20 Ti just lacks power and doesnt respond well to smashes or anything... if anyone can verify this or anyone have better experiences with it?

just bought myself an armortec 800 de (I dont actually have a Ti10, i've always used Carbonex - thus this is the first ISO head i've had!), but I hope I can sort out my play with the Cab 20. I actually have a spare cab 15 sp somewhere which I might try out to see how it compares with the 20Ti...

But as I said, anyone that has anymore experiences with the 20Ti, I would really like your knowledge!!

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i remember some old post that says the cab20TiPower is a ultra ultra stiff racket.

stiff rackets are notoriously difficult to handle by us mortals. best left to folks with tons of powers in their hands.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You don't mean those with their finger on "THE" button? :eek:

8. dj4play

dj4play Regular Member

it definately lacks flexibility, but maybe it's just down to my rusty skills. I'm getting back into training and going to play for the next month or so with my new raquet, then I shall try and see if I can play with the carbonex again.

I remember playing with it fine once before, so i'm sure it's possible again... lol

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Perhaps changing strings would help a little? ;)

You might want to try something that is easier to produce power, say, BG-66.
    Also, you can lower the tension a little bit and see if your shots could improve.

Other than those......all I can say is to practice and use it frequently and hopefully you can get used to it.

10. dj4play

dj4play Regular Member

it's just been restrung with bg65 and a medium tension, I cant remember exact weight... but I will bear that in mind for future thanks!

11. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    i also had a cab20 Ti power a couple of years ago. bought it on sale but never liked it. experienced the same problem you encountered. i preferred my cab20 tour special over it.

12. dj4play

dj4play Regular Member

interesting... very interesting

13. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

One of my team mates use a Cab20TiSp and yes it is a pain in the ass racket to use. Heavy, stiff and unforgiving. Out of all the Cab rackets I've ever used, it is the least forgiving and most disappointing to use. It is as hard to use as a Cab22 yet it produce far less satisifying results.

Upon close inspection the quality of the racket doesn't seem to be better than the basic Cab20. The original synthetic leather grip on the racket is ultra hard and thin, requiring overgrip unless you like blisters. The Ti-mesh construction is similar to Cab8Ti and paint finish is very close to Cab23. For some reason the racket also feels heavier and slower to swing than Cab23. If you are used to the feel of a Cab20 you'll be surprised at how much a hammer it feels when swinging a Cab20Ti.

Having said all of the above, the Cab20Ti in my team mate's hand is an absolute weapon. She agrees my Ti-10 is better racket but swears by her trusty and tough Cab20Ti.

14. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Umm... my friend jus got this Racquet for me in HK... by Accident.... but anyways..... Are there ANY good Feed backs for this racquet.... cuz im getting scared taht this racquet will really play like Sh*T....

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, even very strong guys will find it difficult to use an ultra stiff racquet. Ultra stiff means very high energy requirement. A very strong but non-durable player will be exhausted in no time.

16. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    I got the Cab 20 Ti Power as a gift. Haven't strung it yet. It is ultra stiff... stiffer than my Cab 30 MS and the old Cab 9. Frame size is same like the Cab 30 MS, Cab 9 is smaller. A heavy and stiff carbonex will sap your energy rapidly but they're a total pleasure to play with.

The best thing about these heavy Cabs is you will be able to get immense power and control once you got in tune with it.

17. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Totally agree. Cab 20 Ti Power is a very stiff racket, as stiff as Cab 20 Power / Cab 22. If you are having strong arms, you would like it; or you would hate it. Since I have been using Cab 20 Power for long, so I am playing with Cab 20 Ti Power with no problem.

Anyway, for whatever racket, it takes time to be warmed up. The more you use it, even it is not good at the beginning, but when time goes on, and you get used to it, it would be your court partner, pls be patient to take some time to "make friend" with your racket.

18. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

As far as I have played with the Cab series, this is one of the stiffest carbonex racket. It playes different, but it's very accurate at net play. I use YY BG70Pro @ 24 LBS. Maybe that's the difference compared to other reviewers. The BG70Pro is not widely used, but I find this the best combination. Compared to the meaning of others who played with this racket, this is one of my favorite rackets. And I'm not a strong player.

19. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    I'm at the moment in the process to 'tame' this racket. Compare to the cab 30, this one is much harder to get used to. However when I got the tune (sometimes), it's a gem. Great control and great power it generates. A fine racket indeed.

All of my cabs are 2UG4. BG80 on the 20 and BG66 on the 30. BG80 has better feel and control...