where do you look when you serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 31, 2005.

?

where do you look when you serve?

1. i look down at the birdie

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. i stare at my opponent

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. i look at where i am planning to hit

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. i look at empty space.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. i look all over the place

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. other.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I stare at my opponent's feet. Where they are standing and then look at their face to see if a flick serve would be effective. Then I stare at the net and aim to hit it low and just over.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I agree with Grotius. When I serve, I am the initiator of the sequence; I dictate the response. Therefore, I bring all my awareness to the process and to the moment. The various subtle forces in that moment will tell me what to do (very Zen, eh?:D But true) and I do not fight it by bringing my logic into play. I usually end up taking a few service points on the run. :D And promptly handing back the advantage with lazy courtcraft and weak baseline play! :mad::crying:
    Maybe its ADDS...

3. evan_r91

evan_r91 Regular Member

student
    I look at the reciever's stance position first, then to the position where he/she is standing, then to any of the 4 corners of his/her court to place my serve in which he/she will have hard time to receive my serve.

4. nickspeed9900

nickspeed9900 Regular Member

RJCAF
    Serve is one of my strong points, it can earn me at least 4 to 6 points in a set of game. I've got tricks up my sleeve. ^^ it amaze myself too when my opponent seems as their foot were glued on the court before my eyes. i always hear my (men double) opponent whispered to their partner: "it's tricky", "mind game", "...psychology...", "what the..."

5. mysrh

mysrh Regular Member

I always serve at the same spot too, at the middle corner and body lunge forward. When both side is taking position, I use the moment with my peripheral vision to analyse opponent location, then when I'm ready to serve I stare the opponent.

Apparently I start developing a wobbly serve where the shuttle moves as if I threw with hand, and most of the time it lands around the line which confused the opponent to take or not to take.

6. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    i stare at the shuttle, but i focus at my opponent and net, so I'm looking at two things at once.

i don't know if other people can do that, but i always do that

7. logicaler

logicaler Regular Member

Student
    I look at the T junction wen i serve for doubles, but in singles i just look at the opponent

8. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    I have the habit of looking at where I might want to place the shot (but not necessarily serving there) but my technique is not good yet (sometimes hit the racquet frame, other times it goes too high and gets killed) so am starting to look at the shuttle more. Need to hit it right first :)

9. z3ugmatic

z3ugmatic New Member

Student
    In doubles, I stare right at the tape between me and my opponent's eyes. It drives me a little crazy if the net is shaking slightly from a smash in an adjacent court, but I find that it does a decent job of psyching the other person out. I'm pretty good server, if not a bit inconsistent, but nothing feels better than shimmying the birdie right to the sweet spot from the evens court, then attacking the far corner on the odds court, then coming back onto the evens court and landing it right on the T.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Have changed my tactics a bit since my last post - now I look mostly at my opponents feet to a) determine which serves are hard to retrieve from their position and b) anticipate their movement. I think of what I'm gonna do based on that before serving, as changing my mind mid-serve only resulted in hasty=>sloppy serves. My flick serve is very accurate and apparently quite hard to anticipate, so I tend to overuse it a bit - tall opponents are a bother :/

In singles I vary my serve very much, favoring backhand because of the accuracy, but as many opponents automatically anticipate a long serve when I use the forehand serve, I'm often 'forced' to use that more because it gives me a bigger advantage - here I stare at my opponents body to catch any small movement, be it forwards or backwards, and adjust my serve accordingly, sometimes mid-swing (not slowing the movement, obviously, as that's against the rules).

11. Craig Jackson

Craig Jackson Regular Member

I tend to look at the shuttlecock then look at where I'm going to hit it, and repeat until I hit the shuttle.

12. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I usually look straight at my opponent when I serve. I find if I stare long enough, I can anticipate if they are going to rush forward on my serve. Of course "long enough" depends and is different for everyone, haha.

I actually asked my friends when I played against them and they said when they are returning the serve, they look at the shuttlecock, which I do as well. As a conclusion, I am not sure if my "Where do you look when you serve" method works, LOL.

13. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Looking at the opponent is fine... no, I think it's actually better than looking at the shuttle. Though you still need to keep an eye on the shuttle your're hitting, being able to anticipate your opponent's move is a good advantage. In contrary, if you look solely at the shuttle, you're being blind to the rest of the court: great way to let your opponent decide the game.

14. blackvans1234

blackvans1234 Regular Member

I look at my opponents location inside of their recieving service box, and from that observation, decide where to serve. If I think they're paying extra attention to me, ill deceptively stare at a spot to make them think i will serve to that spot

15. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    It MIGHT work. However, I doubt your opponent will be looking at where your eyes are, since that can be very deceiving. Furthermore, it is much more efficient and reliable to look at their body language.

16. Blisse

Blisse Regular Member

Student
    I stare at them really hard. Or at the bird really hard.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    net tape...........?;)

18. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I will look a little bit at the opp to see where they stand
    after that, I will look at my racket, adjust the angle, and hit the shuttlecock
    when I adjust the angle, I tried not to see my opp as they might know where I'm going to place my shuttlecock

so far, it worked :p

19. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Since watching the badminton bible serving guide I always look down at the shuttle and racket. For some reason this makes my serve a lot more effective. I can see how far I have moved the racket back, to do a good serve it needs to move only a small amount so looking down it is easier to judge.

Another big reason is I can't see my opponent. I get intimidated if they are close to the net and tend to mess my serve up and it goes too high, resulting in a sometimes painful mistake. If I'm looking down this isn't a problem and my serves are a lot better.

Once I have struck the shuttle I look forward to roughly where I hit the shuttle to and point my racket in that direction as well.

20. flashback3003

flashback3003 Regular Member

When i serve, i look all over the place. Why? cause when i serve, i find the corner my opponents furthest from. Then i consider whether its their forehand or backhand. For me its a good way to ace people... =P haha thats just my story tho.