Walkovers @ AE2011

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by coachgary, Mar 10, 2011.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The question you need to ask is whether you can bring this to court and prove the intention to give walkover.

I can go to a doctor, complain of a terrible headache and sneak a day off of work. The challenge for my employer is to prove that I faked illness. So what if it's highly suspicious.

I am inclined to think that unless you spend a lot of money and time, you will not be able to prove anything. So, why bother? If it isn't a serious crime, just let it be.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, there s Kenichi Tago for sure, INA s Hayom, some Thai MS, DEN MS....actually, like LCW, non-CHN only requires one MS to deal with many CHN MS. Tago s the one and he s even better than LCW. Remember Tago has humbled CJ,BCL and CL already and he s only 21!

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

BWF is based in Malaysia. My guess is the BWF staff may not be able to handle the day before workload. I m not trying to promote Singapore but BWF should move that function to Singapore and we can have day before draws. But CHN would have a nightmare. They require 10 days to rote train. CHN won t like it.

4. badadum

badadum Regular Member

I'll concur. WS and WD is where china has overwhelming presence. Without LD, china's MS are mere mortal, and their MD is even less impressive.

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I suppose we would have to trust the computer software apply to all SS and not manipulated for AE11, and that the draw which in this case placing all CHN WS in one half is a result of the players seeding. Better than closed door draw by human.

Ping pong ball draw based on seeding as in world cup soccer, that is an event by itself. That would solve this circus.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wait, are BWF draws closed door? with no credible witnesses?

if so, then that is a big source of issues. all draws should be open to the public and given total transparency. otherwise, we will start seeing complaints / protests like we do now.

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    If you are implying Tago is better than LCW at 21, I see your point. But should LCW and LD retire after 2012, then it is wide open and Tago has a chance but Tago has a long way to match LCW's success.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, I m using simple logic. I don t think LCW would have beaten 3 CHN MS by the age of 21 but I may be wrong.

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I have not read postings of public made draws. If computer software making draws are applied to all BWF events, that should be acceptable and fate placed all the WS in the same half. If draws are made by human, there would raised all sorts of questions.

10. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

after reading the first couple of pages, i am stunned, and disappointed, at the level of bias towards the Chinese.

ultimately, i think the rules has to make sense, first of all. In the USAB, the tournament rules specifically state that organizers should make a point to allow players from different regions not to meet in the early rounds. To me, this rule make sense. And I would argue that this also make sense for the WBF. Because, like it or not, at the highest level, you essentially have about 4 or 5 regions, China, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, and Other.

the next question is, what does one do, when one feels that the rules are against him/her. One can try to change the rules peacefully (democracy), violently (egypt), or silently (chinese badminton team). there may be other ways to do it too, but the point is, people are fighting back.

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    If you used this comparison, then you are correct.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Bad, any WO is bad unless it is legit. Just ask those fans who pay to watch how they feel.

13. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    ur guess is baseless...

14. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

Using a "bad" draw as the excuse for walkovers is ridiculous.
    For the sake of argument, supposedly all CHN WS players were drawn evenly
    into different halves respectively. It is still quite possible to have
    CHN vs. CHN at R2 in both halves since some of them are not seeded players.

Would there still be walkovers? A re-draw may not be the right solution.

15. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Force them to play and then the paying fans will see a lop-sided match where one player/pair purposely throws it. Not so fun to watch either.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    There may be other ways to do it too, but the point is, people are fighting back

IMHO, the best way to do the Main Draw is in this order (of procedure);

1. The draw is to be performed on the eve of the tournament (open to the public).

2. The World Rankings used should be the latest (complied the week before).

3. The Top 8 ranked players to be positioned in place (the common procedure).

4. The rest of the players to be put into 2 baskets, A and B, at random (but for players coming from the same region/country, equally separating them into the 2 baskets).

5. From basket A, pick a player one at a time to complete the top half of the draw (in this basket there could be 2 qualifiers still unknown).

6. From basket B, pick a player one at a time to complete the bottom half of the draw (also in this basket there could be 2 qualifiers still unknown).

The same application should be used for making the draw for players in the Qualification Rounds.

#116 chris-ccc, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  17. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Yes, this sounds good.

18. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Why needs drawing? Why not place all the players just based on ranking? Forget about counties because this is an individual tournament.

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Now 3 out of the 4 places in the upper brackets are from China. If they play serious, the one going to final will be all beat up, and probably not much left to play in the final. I wonder what LYB will do. :D:)

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the mind boggles at the predictability and complexity of the decision that poor LYB has to make. :D