Recon Blx vs Vertex Blx for me.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Parasyn, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Parasyn

Parasyn New Member

School
    Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a new racket and looking online I found 2 that look great.
    Wilson Vertex Blx and Wilson Recon Blx

I play on my school team, and at the nearest club whenever I can (as well as tournaments), I play mostly singles but also enjoy doubles and mixed as well. In both doubles and singles i play very offensively smashing whenever I get the chance. I have heard that the Vertex is more a doubles racket and the Recon is mainly singles. Are either of them better if i want to play both? I would greatly appreciate input from people owning either of the two rackets.
    Thanks.

2. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    Recon is stiffer and less head heavy than vertex....the choice is yours, but i'm prefer reckon than vertex (too bad i choose the wrong one) hahaha

3. Eric Soon

Eric Soon Regular Member

Sales Executive
    Personally I prefer Vertex over Recon. Thou Recon has slight power but IMO Vertex has better feel.

4. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Parasyn,

You're absolutely right. The Wilson 'Vertex' has been designed with the doubles player in mind, wheras the Recon, in theory, has been geared more towards singles play. For example, doubles legend Jonas Rasmussen currently uses the Vertex, whereas top Japanese singles player Sho Sasaki uses the Recon. However, I am not convinced with the idea that a racket can be designed or designated soley for a particualr style of play. ie singles or doubles. In the end it is what feels most comfortable to you as a player. In theory I should probably be using a head-heavy racket like the Yonex AT700 as I'm more of an offensive, smash-based player. Yet, I prefer to use the Wilson 'K' Brave, an extremely headlight and versatile racket. Case in point, prior to switching to their respected models both players previously used the Wilson 'K' Brave, which is considered more of a doubles racket, despite playing in different fields.

Getting back to your original point. I'm in an opposite situatuion to you. Whereas I'm naturally more of a singles player I mostly play doubles, although I'm beginning to play more and more singles again. I currently own a Wilson 'K' Brave, but like you am torn between which Wilson model to purchase next. I like both the Recon and the Vertex but also love my K Brave. Aesthetically, I personally prefer the Recon as its gold stylng is the most similar to the K Brave; the Vertex is more of a copper orange. But crucially, the Vertex felt more comfortable in my hand. The Recon is probably more powerful, but the Vertex is more versatile. However, both rackets are considered 'power' rackets. Also, just like my K Brave both these models feature the 'Power Kick' shaft which really does work. When you hit the shuttle dead centre you definetely feel the 'kick'.

Please keep me updated on your choice(s). I hope this helps.