Panda Power: A Racket That Can Take 40lbs. String Tension!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DinkAlot, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Flexing the shaft in the hand, it feels really quite stiff indeed - we may be into NS8000/9900 territory here.

Since my swing used to be quite lazy, I'm used to getting power from wristwork only, hence the ridiculous balance. I have to use stiffer rackets at this balance because they have less "bounceback". However, now that I'm back to putting (195 lbs worth) torso torque behind smashes, we'll see what's what;).

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm, perhaps your TPro is stiffer, but mine was not at NS level, thank god :D

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    that means I can expect the racket next week? :)
    and most likely I need to wait till Saturday next week to try it out
    since my flat's bell and intercom broken, the post man would put a red card in my mail box.. again

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Review of the TPro
    Specs: 83,8g, 287mm
    String: BG80@26lbs (2-piece) [initially with ZM26@26, but it broke so fast that most of my experience is with the BG80]
    Grip: Removed original grip, towel grip on top of 1 RKEP Elite Overgrip (half overlap)
    Level of play: (probably) intermediate

First impression:
    The racket looks better the closer you get, as the 'marbling' is not visible from further away. The color really reminds me of the MP99 and fits my orange grip perfectly - a nice-looking racket so far. Flexing it in my hands and swinging it around a little, it feels medium stiff and very light. But of course, I'm used to Li Ning racket weights, which are mostly 88-91g.

Warm-up:
    This is indeed a fast racket. Drives are quick and accurate and it's easy to generate speed. Due to the light weight and 'hard' string, timing is important, but easy to get right after a few rallies. Clears are very effortless when timed right, but end up woefully short otherwise. Not much of a swing-through, but that's to be expected with these specs.

First match:
    The light weight of the racket gets me in all kinds of trouble. I can feel the potential power, but just can't get the timing right on smashes. I'm forced to hold back and use mostly wrist smashes which are quite good. Playing at the front of the court is much fun - even if the net play is a bit loose due to the low weight, interception, drives and net kills are amazingly fast and easy. Didn't lose a drive-to-drive exchange during the whole match.

After 2 weeks:
    I didn't use this racket exclusively (as I had to play a singles tournament the last weekend), but for about 20 hours.
    After getting used to the lower weight and fast swing speed, it performs very well in mixed and even doubles.

Attack:
    This is a pretty powerful racket. It is not as head-heavy or stiff as others, but still generates a lot of power when used correctly. The smashes are not threatening to break the sound barrier, but feel good and even short motions can result in fast, dangerous shots.
    Drop shots are okay, even if the lightness of the racket irritates me a little. Those who are used to light/balanced rackets will have no problem getting them right, for me, it's a bit of work. On the plus side, I have better disguise on overhead shots - just a short snap of the wrist can create a clear, and holding a smash at the last moment results in a nice disguised drop.
    Drives are effortless and lethal - this is where this racket shines. It just feels so quick that I don't hesitate to step into every drive and push forward as much as possible. The placement and pace can be changed quite easily, which makes them hard to anticipate.

Net play:
    Net play is still weakened by the low weight, I prefer slightly heavier rackets here because they are a bit more stable and make my slightly inaccurate motions a bit smoother. Again, anyone used to light rackets will be fine and won't lose their touch.
    The amazing maneuverability of the racket enables me to brush shuttles off the top of the tape (at times :D) and makes net kills very easy.

Defense:
    Although it's not a defensive racket, the TPro is brilliant in defense. High defense is pretty easy, even though I normally suck at it. I can place most defensive shots just where I want them - just a small turn of the wrist will send the shuttle just behind the net at cross court, and a (very) short flick pushes it past the net player into the half court. Even short-distance drives can be retrieved.

Summary:
    This is a very balanced racket, allowing for powerful attack as well as accurate, quick defense. The most outstanding quality is the amazingly quick & accurate drive, making it an ideal racket for doubles players. I believe it can also be a lethal weapon in singles if you adjust the specs accordingly, just a slight increase in weight and balance point (~86-87g, 295-300mm) will make the net play and drop shots more accurate and generate more power (at the cost of slower defense).
    Comparing it to the T2, it feels significantly more solid and powerful. With the T2, I could feel the shaft bend when swatting down a slow drive, whereas the TPro is more stable - I could feel it bend when smashing, without feeling unstable (like, for example, the Z-Slash does).
    I am happy with it and can't wait to get another 2 from Mark soon :)

5. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Im using a 4u voltric70. Which would be better for me? A tpro or upro? I like to smash but people say i'm all rounder. Been improving a lot recently and using 25lbs bg80. Not too sure about shaft stiffness. But im more arm based than wrist i think

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Voltric 70 is pretty soft, a TPro would suit you better. the UPro is much stiffer, even stiffer than the Arc8DX, I think

7. roycetan

roycetan Regular Member

Journalist
    As for mine , my Arc8DX is stiffer than my Upro.I even found the Ultra 2 stiffer than the Upro too.

8. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Sorry Mark...
    I've just mailed you another 4 rackets to string (I know, my timing sucks)
    It's going to be a busy weekend for you XD
    btw: What spec TPro did Dink send me? I don't even remember what I asked for any more.

And yeah, the Ultra Pro isn't super stiff - I get heaps of power from mine, and I'm a really skinny guy (70kg / 185cm) with less-than-perfect technique. It's certainly waaay easier to use than the original Ultra.

#4788 Sketchy, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    I would suggest you to go for TPro when it arrives at the Malaysian shores. UPro (my spec is 83.xg BP 297mm) is the stiffest racket I've ever used and been thru rackets like Muscle Power 55, Cab21SP, Apacs AMP90, 2nd gen Ti10, 2nd gen AT700, AT900T just to give you a rough idea on how stiff that racket can be.

Its a monster when you have energy to wield it! Once tired using UPro, I switched back to my T2. :D

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

TPro review

Trinity Pro - 269/4U (sic:D); Ashaway Z62@24/26 lbs; RKEP Ultimate (blue).

Looks:

My first thought was "upside-down MP99", and it works well. For those who've only seen it in pictures so far, the shaft is halfway between yellow and orange (I'd call it eggyolk yellow), giving great contrast to the black. The marbling... meh - I'm not sold on it. Gloss black would have been better, naked carbon best of all (but then I've been spoiled in that regard lately).

Impressions:

Same modified Ti-10 profile as the T2, but very slightly faster through the air for some reason. Finish is excellent (helped, no doubt, by the fact that only half it is really "finished";)). The shaft is stiffer than that of the T2 - I would put it in the very high 7s, 8.0 at the most.

From this point on, all opinions are based on a balance of 269 - those of you with taller rackets (and they all are), your mileage may vary.

Game time

A direct comparison with my old T2 would not make any sense (at 285 it's basically a different species), but it would be nice if those with both rackets could do so if they are of similar spec.

Power:

A 269 has absolutely no business hitting this hard - it hit as hard as, or harder than, my old 285/85 T2 but (and this is the key) with noticeably less effort. I use a lot of backhand smashes these days, so these are my yardstick for judging repulsion, and the fact that I put one right into my opponent's right armpit for a winner sold me immediately. Smashes were some of the hardest I've hit since getting rid of my NS9900, but at a higher power/effort ratio.

I played a singles with Sean to eleven, and my worries about clearing, FH and BH, being difficult due to the balance were unfounded: I began to hope he would hit to my deep BH corner just so I could moon it out again. The headspeed was insane (but at 269 it would be), and coupled with the added stiffness it gave huge power for very little work. I can't wait to hear what those with taller rackets have to say.

Control:

More a function of the string/tension and balance than of the racket itself, but the TPro was no slouch. The extra headspeed meant I could get behind a lot more shots and put them more where I wanted them - I recall a particularly fine round-the-head drop from the deep BH corner that clipped the net and the line, and an inside-out BH smash block that sailed right into no-man's-land. Serves were significantly tighter as well (a point that was commented upon by the coach), as were the numerous netters in my singles half-game.

Feel:

This, above everything else, is what I pay attention to in a racket, and the TPro is a quantum leap ahead of the T2 in this department. It felt alive (only way I know how to describe it). I have no idea why this should be, given that the rackets are similar outwardly, but it could be the lack of paint. I play a lot of blocks from the mid-court, and good feel is essential for this type of shot - I could have closed my eyes and known how high over the net they flew and how deep they would land. Power shots sang all the way down to my hand (as did mis-hits, but that's the price you pay), and at the net it was just a scalpel.

Summary:

What we have here is a T2 on steroids - more power, faster head, and probably the best feel of any production racket I've ever tried. The only fly for me is the marbling, and you can't see that while you're using it. In my hand it just felt right. I'm glad I got two - I'm stringing my 269s taller brother (at 272 it's a veritable Armotec by comparison) and taking it for a spin on Friday.

Over and out!

M.

11. Flixor

Flixor Regular Member

Glad you like it Mark.

Can't wait to get mine to try it out :)

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The current shipment is all spoken for, but anybody who wants a 290-300 TPro should contact me ASAP for a dip into the third shipment, which is due in USA literally any day now.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

^^ Correction - the rackets are due to be shipped from the manufacturer (Far East) any day now:D.

14. OliverHH

OliverHH Regular Member

Student
    As roycetan also points out, I also think the ARC8DX is stiffer than the UPro. It feels like my UPro is a little bit flexier than my MP100, but only by a small margain.

15. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    nice review Mark :D
    is it Tpro 296mm comparable with the NS9900?

I will wait mine.. impatiently :p

16. visor

visor Regular Member

As mentioned before, depends on the bp of your UPro. The more head heavier the flexier it'll feel, even though the shaft has not changed.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

NS9900 bp is ~280, so no.

18. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Mark A,
    That was a masterly review of that matchstick of a racket you choose. Nicely written. :)
    Especially like the description of your upcoming BP 272mm TPro as "a veritable Armortec".

19. lneoas

lneoas Regular Member

IT Consultant
    tried playing with the TPro and using zymax62 for the first time at 25lbs.
    the racket is great but i cannot say so for the string.. the durability is really a big issue here =(

20. Jughead Jones

Jughead Jones Regular Member

Accountant