Slippery Strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Novitano, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Novitano

Novitano Regular Member

I recently got my racquet restrung after they snapped during a practice. So after getting it back, a lot of my backhand shots seem to hit the edge of the tape (of the net).

I got sorta frustrated cause I figured I was just making myself more nervous. On a whim, I just rotated my racquet face 180 degrees and played my backhands with the other side of the racquet head and they were fine.

I even felt the strings and one side seems to have a more "slippery" feel to it. Anyone else ever had a similar situation? Its been bothering me for a few days now, so I was just wondering how to combat this type of situation? Or if there's any techniques to make the string less slippery?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what racket, what string? what level are you? do you train? drill, etc?

the string is round, so there is no way one side is more slippery than the other. something else is the problem.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps one side of your racket is more slippery due to accidentally getting some oil on there via hand, shuttle etc. Why not try wiping it with a damp cloth and see if it helps.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Also, if you kept playing with the one side you may have worn down any texture on that side and the other may still be fresh (unlikely but a possibility). I'm constantly spinning my racket while between serves so I've never noticed.

5. Novitano

Novitano Regular Member

It's a Musclepower 77, strung at 24lb with BG-85 strings. I'm still in high school, so intermediate level of play I'd say. And yup, I do cardio, drills and footwork both in and out of school.

And I agree with the reasoning why it shouldn't be strings causing the problem which is why I'm rather perplexed by it. But I've been going back to them, trying both sides and the results always come up the same. I was planning on rubbing a damp cloth over today (I have practice tomorrow), so I could see if it makes any particular difference.

6. Novitano

Novitano Regular Member

haha, it worked out! :D
    took 2 or 3 wipes, but it seems to be back to normal. :)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Good for you!

Now you'll have to figure out how it got oily on that one side. Check your racket cover, bag, etc.