Gosen Pattern of 2011 Catalogue from Shuttle-House

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bbi2004, Apr 5, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    instruction for the professional pattern:

first, measure the required string length and weave mains:

1. measure the length of the short side (red on diagram) to be 6 racket length
    2. weave mains from center out. tension L/R halves alternately.

22 main x 21 cross rackets (Left diagram)

1. (short end) leaving the last main string unweaved, use a starting clamp to clamp the short end at the outter side of the frame.
    2. (long end) leaving the last main string unweaved, go down one hole from the 2nd last main and start weaving the cross downwards.
    3. (long end) when down to the 4th last cross hole, skip over it and leave the 4th row unoccupied. weave until red circle (2) on the diagram.
    4. (short end) finish off the last main string. and then weave it into the 4th last cross string.
    5. (short end) finish off the last main on the other end. and then weave it into the 5 cross strings at the top of the racket. tie knot.
    6. (long end) finish off the bottom cross. tie knot.

22 main x 22 cross rackets (Right diagram)

1. (short end) leaving the last main string unweaved, use a starting clamp to clamp the short end at the outter side of the frame.
    2. (long end) leaving the last main string unweaved, go down one hole from the 2nd last main and start weaving the cross downwards.
    3. (long end) weave downwards until the 3rd cross.
    4. (short end) weave the last main. (red circle (2) )
    5. (long end) from the bottom 3rd cross, weave last main upwards. go up one hole and finish off weaving the top 4 crosses. tie knot.
    6. (short end) from red circle (2), go down 2 holes and then finish weaving the bottom 2 crosses. tie knot.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the 22x22 professional pattern is actually quite interesting! the diagram is not very clear what the sequence is but it actually is weaving the middle portion of the crosses going top down first, and then finishes off the top 4 and bottom 2 cross last.

very interesting. now i just need to find a racket to try this out.... aiyah. need more rackets. :)

3. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanks kwun for the translation, so we are non-chinese speaking can read and practice it now ....

I've tried the Professional 22x21 (Left diagram) pattern, but end up with 22x22 coz my friend asked me to add one one at the bottom.
    Now going to try the Professional 22x22 (right diagram) pattern since I hv plenty of rackets to be strung ....

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the million dollar questions are....

why? why? why?

why is the 72/76 holes different? why 76 holes is 16+6 where as 72 holes is 14+7 on the crosses?

why can't we use the same pattern for the 21 cross and 22 cross, and just add one more cross string at the top?

why is the top down "professional", and the bottom up "basic"?

why are there 4 of them and i have to experiment 4 times and i don't have enough rackets to compare!

why? why? why?

5. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

I have took a look the old Haribito file in my print-out, and all the same, looks like it was 72 only with 22x21 and 22x22 pattern.
    Maybe now Gosen has found that top-down is more professional looks ... hehez

#25 maa2003, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder if they have found these new and more complicated patterns are in some way... better?

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

These patterns are decidedly odd:) - they aren't even attempts to mimic 1PTD, so I can't imagine what can be gained from them over the usual bottom-up version. Bottom-left in #16 is just crazy!

The bottom-right one in #16 is what I would use for a 1PBU if I were still to use that method - adding some crosses before tying off is a very good idea, as simply tying off from a main to a main would lead to asymmetrical stresses in the L/R direction. The knot would reduce the effective tension on one side, but not the other; the crosses add some friction to counteract this. The loop from the main to cross is rather long, though - it could go in earlier than that:).

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a few more thoughts.

- it seems that Haribito considers TD to be "pro". while BU is "basic". or maybe just because the pattern needed to achieve TD is more complicated that makes it more pro. but obviously, Haribito says TD is better, otherwise why even go through all the hoops to make it possible.

- Haribito really like one piece stringing. none of their pattern are 2 piece.

- Haribito says center out is better. all pattern emphasize getting the center 10-15 cross strings in first. and then do the boundary strings. or at least, that's the best they can do to string the center first. unless if they do 2 piece then they can really have a proper center out pattern.

- Haribito pro pattern don't weave the 11th main on the 2 sides until the center crosses are weaved and tensioned. again, emphasizing the center strings first.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    more thoughts on stringing center out.

with modern 6 point support machines, it kinda make sense to emphasize center out. after all, center out is more symmetric. side-to-side by definition puts tension in one end of the frame before the other.

however, it is arguable whether center out for cross is neccessary, simply because the racket is not symmetrical in that direction anyway.

also, with 6 point machine, putting tension on the center strings first bulges the racket outwards towards the top/bottom, it will help maintain racket shape. it is not uncommon to see the top frame getting squeezed more on a bottom up pattern.

11. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

12. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

To me #1 and #3 are just the same, no different.
    I used to use the #1 until I saw your picture for the Professional one.

I never tried to play with the Professional one, but a friend of mine told me it is very good.

Looks like I will be using the Professional (22x21) eventhough I will string 22x22 or 22x23 (not refer to tension lbs).

how about you ?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am going to test the professional pattern just for curiosity. will tell u afterwards. ;)

14. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

I strung one for my friend with #1 pattern for his racket. His feedback was very good. I have ordered FLEET Woven 1000, after it reaches me, I will string it with #2.

Let us see Mr. Kwun's feedback about his test of professional pattern.

15. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

I gave my answer already in my earlier post, for the PROFESSIONAL, the different between LEFT & RIGHT is NOT determined by 22X21, 22X22.....that is what I said it was misleading, both LEFT & RIGHT start the cross from L11, when you trace down one by one #13 cross of the LEFT comes out from Bottom Right 12 whereas the RIGHT #13 cross comes out from Bottom Right 13, in other words the RIGHT couldn't go back in the same pattern as the LEFT.
    Go experience yourself and come back for further discussion. Holding the pattern on a piece of paper doesn't get you anywhere.

16. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

Hi everybody

Is it possible or can we make cross tension 2lbs higher than main tension in professional haribito?

If, so, will it play better?

17. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

The Haribito Professional Pattern is basically All Around Stringing Pattern. After stringing the mains, it ensures the middle crosses (effecting hitting area) are strung from top to bottom. The outer mains and reaming top/bottom crosses are finished in a systematic way to ensure that they can be tied off at proper places. Check out tennis Around the Word Stringing Patterns: UKRSA Pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIA2AKB3AJw Universal Pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-LEiTpNrnk

18. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

why not, I've used it ...

19. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

the Professional 22 x 21 is yes, almost similar to All around the world, but the right one (22x22) is different.
    I recognized many of old stringers has used similar to this Professional 22x21 pattern before, but they only use 1 or 2 top cross then tie-knot.

#39 maa2003, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  20. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

I’ve tried Haribito Professional 22 x 22 Pattern. I’m pretty sure it is similar to UKRSA Pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIA2AKB3AJw . Short side tied off at the bottom and long side tied off at the top. The only difference is for badminton, there are more crosses to finish off at the top.