If you could not smah on a doubles match, how will you play?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ALERIN, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ALERIN

ALERIN Regular Member

Imagin, you are playing and you are not felling comfortable with your smashes :mad::mad: , how will you adjust your and your partner game to still win the match :rolleyes:?

Will just give the initiative to your opponents and defend?

Will base your game on drop shots, drives, etc?

Any ideas :confused:?

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

If you can't smash try drives or drops

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Variation of speed and variation of direction. Drives, pushes, drops. Speed and then unexpected change of pace.
    Certainly not just lift and defend.
    Even if you aren't comfortable with your smashes, you are still going to need to use some sort of smash to vary the pace. So while they might not be winners, they will still be downward shots putting pressure on your opponents.

4. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    If you're playing against (real) beginners, some high clears down the middle should do the job. If you hear rackets clashing, you're doing it right.

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I wish there was a like function on this forum, I would like that post.
    Any shot which both players think they could get to would be effective, both players move to the shot opening space elsewhere, so without having to smash you put pressure on your opponent to move.
    Drops to the centre T or tight to the net. Clears/lifts down the centre, put it slightly closer to the person that would have to go around the head and it'll be more effective at getting both players to think it's their shot.

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Giving your opponents the opportunity to attack is probably the worst thing you can do whether you can smash or not.

I think the obvious thing to do here is to move your opponents around to create space and generally confuse them. You want to be trying to either open up a space in the court to hit in to or have both opposing players going for the same shot. This will be much easier if you use the whole court. Just focus on not giving up the attack and be patient - it might take quite a long time to hit a winner without hitting smashes.

7. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Agree with whats been said. I have an arm injury which means I can't smash very well. You will have to vary your drops and faster drops as they will start to read them and put you in trouble.
    Also add clears to the opponents backhand.
    Also consider playing mixed tactics. Although it doesn't help me as the fast reactions and the more severe use of the wrist needed at the net is even worse than doing smashes.
    Also dont underestimate defence at anything but the highest level of male play. lower levels generally have not as good footwork, more older players and more fatter players.
    They are also unable to move smoothly in and out of defence and offence as fluently
    Of course you could be on a completely different level than me and my opinions might not but suitable.

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Great advice from everyone above! Although bbirdman, in his current situation, finds playing at the front painful (which is a shame) i think his idea of trying to make sure YOU dominate the front of the court is a great one, and is what I would suggest you try. I am not sure about mixed tactics, but if you get the chance to "smash", then use the variation mentioned by everyone so far, and then go forwards and take control of the net. Let your partner know that they should take the rearcourt, and allow you to come forwards whenever possible.

Also, seeing as you are not feeling great, bring your partner into the game. Plenty of shots towards the centre will bring him right into the rallies so you can help each other out. Oh yeah, how could i forget? If things aren't working... get some GOOD serves going. That is always a good solution to a problem in doubles. Struggling in the rallies, get in a good serve and get your partner on the attack at the start of each rally :) Try to win some quick points!

Defensive doubles is a last resort.

Matt

p.s. if people start "reading" your drops, use some punch clears to keep them pinned back in court.