Is It Normal?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Middo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys,

Whenever I play badminton at a tournament I get so nervous I feel like I'm going to faint.. and whenever I get to game day I feel like dropping out of the tournament from anxiety.

Yet, at the end of the day I'm fine and happy with the day..But this feeling keeps coming on.. for every tournament beginning.

Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent it?:(

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Play more tournaments. It's normal to be a little bit nervous before the very first match and normal to feel like you do if you're not used to playing tournaments. Play more and you should get over it pretty quickly.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Performance anxiety... happens to all of us, whether on court, on stage or in the bedroom. :p:D

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it happens to all of us :)
    some are a little bit nervous, some would be like you, feel like thrown up, faint, etc

I also feel nervous when in tournament.. not badminton, but chess

what you need to do is to think like this:
    it doesn't really matter, if I play good or bad, win or lose, as long as I can play and happy then it's fine

you need to take this attitude

or like Danstevens said, play more tournament

5. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    Thanks guys, Is there anything i can do to prepare myself mentally to be less nervous?

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Just takes practice, the more you do it the less nervous you'll be. I always felt a little anxious myself when I was competing but once you start playing you forget all about it. As long as it's not affecting your play just go with it and after a few more tournaments you'll start to feel less and less anxious each time.

7. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    if it's at a tournament personally I listen to music to control arousal level before a match, to get myself into that right zone. Making sure it’s the kind of pace that I need. If I need to calm down cause I’m nervous or anxious then I will listen to something slower and relaxing to bring my state down. If I need to get pumped up then something faster with a great beat and some motivating lyrics.

Likewise you can also take the time before a match to meditate, clear your mind and give yourself a positive pep talk. Doing all that to calm and get rid of that nervousness that is present. As well when you’re not in a tournament you can always work on mental strength it is a great area to work on which will help control those moments before a match where you’re nervous. There are many books or professional sports psychologists that you can see who will give you an understanding of what you can do to work on your strength. From simple exercises to phrases/routines that you create and maintain, you can definitely improve your mental toughness.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

LOL, sorry I know you mean something else but that word has sexual connotations.

9. Middo

Middo Regular Member

Student
    I guess I could bring my iPod and listen to music before.

10. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    haha fair enough, I remember back to taking sport psych and there was a whole unit on arousal level with regards to sports and preformance as well as getting into "the zone"