new club house has born

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by passmore, Mar 27, 2011.

1. wanttoplaydaily

wanttoplaydaily Regular Member

Are you also getting the badminton net posts?

2. mkm_player

mkm_player Regular Member

Weird that passmore keep ignoring people's request for pictures of the place. I can only imagine how bad it must look. :)

3. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    way out of your imagination

We look after your knees. So 3 layers floor can secure them-------foam, soft wooden board sub-floor and mat on top

It never looks well, but everybody feels well during playing and afterwards.

Imagine mat on concrete , it's not us. hard wood floor, it's not us. mat on foam, it's not us.

We simply have the best knee-friendly sub-floor in GTA.

4. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    so you guys are open everyday? and we can drop in anytime?

I might drop by with a couple of friends cuz we need a cheaper place than lee's or mandarin

5. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Just my little review of the place

I went yesterday to play with 3 of my other friends and when I saw it, like most of you, I was like wow... this place doesn't that that great. The floors seemed a bit weird, it was cold and the more i looked around the more depressing it look. And I am sure yesterday was a holiday...so maybe thats why it was so empty :p

But when I walked in to the place, i was greeted by 3 friendly people that work there that i believe are a family? Correct me if I am wrong passmore. They were EXTREMELY nice and you can tell, they're pretty passionate about their club and badminton as a whole. for instance, there's always a person cleaning the floors on a daily basis, not after their club closes, but maybe every 30 mins or so? I don't see this in other clubs, usually they clean it when they close or you have to do it yourself. The fact that Passmore made it so much more welcoming the experience i got was much more better . I believe it is still not done renovating, so thats probably why it looks gloomy, but i can't wait for place to be fully renovated!

I noticed many people complain about how the place looks... but give them a break, they're still installing more stuff to make the place better. Although some of the stuff may look ghetto, i.e the wood posts and etc, its still the same as having those steel ones. And its true that Passmore takes care of your feet/legs, theres like 3 layers under the floor you play on and even tho the ply wood looks a bit sketchy, it still provides excellent grip.

the washrooms were nice too! like spotless clean!

So guys, please do drop by and play more! I know it may not look THAT great, but please understand they're still renovating and some of the stuff may look ghetto, but it still works! good flooring in my opinion and a high ceiling. (only thing that might bug you is the lights when you clear or lift really high. and honestly, $5 for from 8 PM till 12 AM is a really good deal!

thanks for the good experience Passmore! i'll surely be back, when I get time! :)

6. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    at last here is a professional point of view.thx.

When you enter a badminton club, you look at ceiling, floor, lighting, background color(wall), size, court side/end clearance (spaces) and overall cleanliness.

The out-looking is the last thing to look at------you play badminton, not chose a boy/girl to marry to, right?

Somebody mentioned his club has "international" standard courts. That is not. Why? ceiling there is not high enough, clearance is not wide enough, court end to another court side, number of court is 9 instead 2, etc.

Please go to Humber College and have a look when it sets-up for Toronto Open in Jan. every year. That is what we call it an international standard court: 36 feet height, 10 feet court side clearance, dark color back-ground walls, and maximum 2 courts side by side only.The net is fastened with steels string, not nylon. The white line is 1 inch wide, not 1.5-2 inches, etc.

As a matter of fact no club can afford all of these, but they all try hard to meet the minimum requirements and set up something special to attract different group of people:

Passmore works on its multi-layer-floor and clearance for pros (15+ hours a week training time weekly); Flying Dragon works on its out-looking for beginners (once a week play to die), Granite works on its lighting for coaches (coaching 7 days a week), SB works on number of courts for funs (high-end equipped, no skills but happy), etc.

Welcome to give us more professional opinions about how to build a good club. We are listening. Thanks in advance.

#26 passmore, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Any newer feedback on the new club? Pictures would be nice from anyone who's been there.

8. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    David,

Go there and check it out. You live so close to the club.
    Own view/version is more acceptable to yourself.

9. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    many time slot next week-------all kids are in BC for national tournament

Seeing is believing.

Photos can/may be photo-shopped.

Best way is to come and try out yourself. It's just $5.

10. verybadplayer

verybadplayer Regular Member

Retired racket tester
    BTW passmore when are you getting the new nets and are you going to have metal posts ?

11. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    sure

i get them done next week.

if not they said they ll play on my skin!!!!!

12. BinsonKanger

BinsonKanger New Member

Hello,

Is there a set day and time where the club tends to be more busier so I can drop in and play lots of random games with random people?

13. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    tonight

uni students gather around night in here.

14. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Hi everyone:

I too have stopped by to play at Passmore. When I walked in there were 4 people playing already on court 1 (the one with the matt) and we were a little skeptical to play on the plywood but we did anyways. We were suprised that it felt pretty solid and very soft on the knees, ended up playing from 8 - 11:30pm

As stated by JukUx, if clearing really high on court 2/3 the light really gets in your eyes but we got used to it.

Passmore will only get better so just give it a chance.

15. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

GaryC

yeah i was a bit skeptical too! but frankly, it does feel good haha

Passmore

I am trying to make time to come! but schedule is pretty pack ): can't really get time. Have you decided to add a membership fee? rather then just paying a drop in fee? would be great if you could do a membership fee or a summer membership thingy :p

16. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    Yah. we do everything to meet your need

please suggest more.

Like in this week somebody brings in new ideas about how to implement the lighting:

lights on only on both side of the poles, no lights in the end of the court and above it.

how does it effect your eyes?

One club in Shen-Zhen is equipped in this way.

17. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

you could get a mesh covering for the lights
    when i lift up, it blinds me a bit as in i can't see the bird falls lower
    you could try dimming the lights?

18. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    light

The lights are all on side of court from now on. Hi pressure vapor light keeps in its position and will not be on unless somebody requests it to be on.

Sorry IT workers ------ your eyes are damaged at screen, not in badminton court. Take a break and have some liver for dinner.

19. passmore

passmore Regular Member

engineer
    mats in their places now.

Today everybody was happy playing on the new mat.

It is sooo soft. You cannot have the similar experience across GTA, really not the same as any court.

20. spikervball

spikervball New Member

Is anyone going there tonite?