Impressive physique

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ben Beckman, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

that bodybuilder looks so...icky...so dark..so OILY!!!

so chinese badminton players have tones bodies?? or just lindan?
    indonesian players are not rounder..they're skinny/un-toned .no muscles whatsoever.except for the thighs i guess..from all the jumping

2. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

actually i agree with lemon. when he's talking about strength he's talking about explosive, fast twitch muscle fibres, which badminton players don't need as much compared to a lot of sports. In reality, although it looks as though badminton players have freakish verticals, they quite simply don't...most of the ppl on this forum could jump about as high as they do (without the movements needed to smash a bird). What pros need more than strength is cardiovascular ability and muscles which allow them to perform such jumps, as well as lunges and strafes, repeatedly at a rapid pace with short intervals between sets of repetitions. If a lot of the ppl on this forum tried their hardest they could span the court and jump etc. like the pros for a very short period of time...but the pros can do this for several games in a row. What the pros have is the explosive strength of an intermediate player coupled with incredible endurance and a very good cardiovascular system to keep their muscles oxygenated.

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I really don't think most of the people in this forum will be even close to for ex. Lin Dans vertical jump abilities (or any top ten world singles/doubles badminton player for that matter). I've seen some comparisons and apart from highly specialiced sports like high.jumps, long-jumps etc. badminton is way up ther.. (If i remember correctly Volleyball players jumped the highest, basket ball players didn't jump as high as expected on average (probably due to the use of one-legged pushoffs in most game-situations).

Just out of curiosity what do you think "most people on this forum" can do in standstill vertical jumps (with and without jump preparation (swing arms, or arms by the sides).

cheers,
    Twobeer

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

While what you said requires SOME strength, it doesn't require very much. In your lunge example.... how many of us can do 50 lunges? I'm willing to bet almost all of us. Heck, I was doing 50 lunges with a 110 pound barbell on my back after a few months or working out, and I by no means have gifted genetics. I hate to break it to you but badminton doesn't require strength. Maybe speed and endurance but not strength.

5. bigredlemon

I did a search of some Lin Dan's "legendary" jumps... and found them to be quite average.

http://www.badmintonphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=3408
    http://www.badmintonphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=4496
    http://www.badmintonphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=4486
    http://www.badmintonphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=4489
    http://www.badmintonphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=618
    http://www.badmintonphoto.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=98

I looked at every result under "Lin Dan" from badminton photo, and the average seems to be about 15 inches, with the top to be about 20 inches (4496.) It's hard to judge exactly since all the photos have a very low camera height, which would exagerate his jumping abilities. The lack of shadows also makes it harder. I wouldn't be suprised if the 4496 jump was only 18 inches.

I have never done any kind of jumping program. I did a few jumps without the use of hands and pulled off 18 inches. (Jumped beside a "ruler" and recorded with camera) With the use of hands and bending knees, I got a 2 feet 10 inch vertical. This isn't much different from Lin Dan's verticals, and is by no means exceptional. So disagree, probably 50% of BFers can come very close to Lin Dan's vertical, as paulchow already said.

6. bigredlemon

I just looked at some topless pics of Lin Dan again... there's not very much there. I'd put his weight at around 165 pounds... probably less. Almost everyone is capable of acheiving 165 pounds at the same body fat level as Lin Dan within a year unless they're 300 pounds or something.

7. bigredlemon

Those knee injuries say little about the amount of strength needed. Getting knee injuries isn't that hard... and avoiding them isn't that hard either. Top powerlifters can easily explode 700 pounds off the ground, from when the knees are fully bent inward (at their weakest position) all the way up to fully extended. That's far more force than a badminton player's knees will every see on take off. (powerlifting shoes also have no padding, whereas badminton shoes have a lot of padding.)

8. bigredlemon

I was watching a vid and thought of this post so I decided to take screenshots of what BBers' legs look like... note that each of his legs are about as wide as his waist....

Attached Files:

• lp1.JPG
      lp1.JPG
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
    • lp2.JPG
      lp2.JPG
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Scary pics.. lots of useless muscle fibers there (or is it oil or silicon pumped into the muscles ;-)..
    To much "pump" in the gym and some illegal drugs will do things like that to your body ;-), dosn't say the muscles are that useful for actual work though..

That's a perfect example of what I do not consider to be a perfect body..
    Looks unatural, overpumped and impractical.. If the functionality was on par with size.. all boxers and martial artist (or even condendors in world strongest men competitions) would look like that.. right???

But as we concluded earlier in this thread.. We certainly have different references and opinions what constitutes the "perfect" physique..

/T

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I fail to see your logic.. Based on some of Lin Dans in game pictures.. (in game jump-smashes etc) you conclude that on a controlled vertical jump test you and him would performs about the same max :). Do you really think one in-game jumpsmash is is max vertical??

I will not be able to proove my point since i don't have any test-results from neither Lin Dan nor the BF:ers.. So if you are happy in your beleif that the power-jumps from badminton pros is about average, then i can't really say anything that would change that, right?

cheers,
    Twobeer

11. bigredlemon

Uselss muscles? How useful is the ability to hit a feather-cork object over a 1.6 meter net in real life?

Look at the definition in his legs. It's pretty clear there's nothing injected there.
    Every extra bit of muscle adds functional strength. And again... how useful is hitting a feathered object in real life?
    Actually, top MMA are around 220 to 230 lb at around 7% body fat. He is at 230lb at 5% body fat in that pic. Fighting also requires different muscle groups. Outside of MMA and powerlifting, very few people want 20 inch necks.
    The topic is on impressive, not perfect. Lin Dan's physique is very easily to acheive. It's like comparing an mitsu evo with a ferrari enzo. While the evo is a great car, the enzo is the more impressive of the two. :)

12. bigredlemon

You can probably jump higher than that... but if your basing the defintion of impressive upon being slightly above average, then you're diluting the defintion of the word...

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Still the evo willl be a lot faster of track.. and of course you can take the analogy further ;-) a ferrari F1 will beat the enzo on track condition. but then of course the engine of the F1 is worn out and the enzo could go 100's more races without a angine change ;-)..

If you aremore impressed by track racing than street or rally-racing then the preferences will of course be that of your personal opionion. It's not that easy to objectively compare apples and oranges though ;-)

cheers,
    T

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You may also be confusing impressive with expensive ;-)

/Twobeer

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I argue that it's by far more useful than taking differnent poses before judges.. :p

/Twobeer

16. bigredlemon

actually i think the evo vs. enzo is very appropriate on many levels...

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    actually it's quite fun to compare :rolleyes:

Ferrari enzo stats (reference http://www.supercars.net/cars/2002@$Ferrari@$Enzog.html )
    Power: 492.2 kw / 660 bhp
    Price : $670.000
    Weight: 1370 kg / 3020 lbs
    Top speed: 350 km/h
    accel: 0-100 Km/h: 3,6 sek
    Quarter mile (402m) time: 11,6 :mad:
    traction: two wheel drive

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO - JRM racing edition (reference http://www.jrm-racing.se/docs_hem.asp)

Power: more than 600 HP on engine (about 530 on the wheels!)
    Price: $ 90.000
    Weight: 1210 kg / 2667 lbs
    Top speed: 325 km/h
    accel 0-100 Km/h: 2,9sek
    Quarter mile (402m) time: 10,89 :D
    traction: four wheel drive

We get the same money.. You buy an enzo, I buy an EVO.. then will go out on the street and race ;-)

So which is more "impressive" apples or bananas???

/Twobeer

18. bigredlemon

comparing a highly modified car vs a stock car? Yea that sounds reasonable :rolleyes:

No mention of 1100hp supras? :rolleyes:

and you somehow missed the entire point of the anology. One is built predominently for looks. It's exotic and rare. The other is built to be common and fast. No one buys an evo for looks.

19. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Yeah but it you came up to an Enzo on a nice twisty piece of road, you'd probably assume he can't drive so you can blow him away anwyay. However if you came up to an Evo on a twisty piece of road, he/she probably still can't drive however the car makes up for it to a large degree so it'd still be a pain in the arse to pass them, sigh, I need more power in my bike well actually I need a new bike.

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    So your analogy with badminton player vs. a bodybuilder type body is that good loking = [ enzo and Bulky muscles like a body builder ] and a not goodlooking = [ a badminton pro like Lin Dan (or maybe a not so bulky martial artist like Bruce Lee's body) ].. :confused:

And BTW "STOCK" is perhaps a bit of an overstatment for a car that is being built at about 350 / year and to be able to buy one for $670k you have to "proove" collectors track record of many previous ferrari cars :) ..

And while you bring up 1100hp Supras :).. I didn't mention those because then your argument about sleek looks comes tumbling down even harder. :)

now this is a beautiful car :) http://www.customize.org/view/24456

should we just drop it and agree that we simply disagree what is really looking good??

cheers,
    T

#80 twobeer, Aug 1, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.