Cut Drop - Need more info

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ambushes, May 8, 2011.

1. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

My coach taught me a new shot today.
    He calls it a cut drop, but you guys might know it as something else.

It's hard to explain, but basically you kind of swing forwards more and the bird goes cross-court and "dies" near the net.
    It's really deceptive as it'd be hard to anticipate.
    It also takes quite a bit of a swing, he told me it's almost like a smash.

So some things i want to know..
    1) What is the actual name of this shot?
    2) Is it a good shot to play in Singles?

Also he told me to switch to a new grip.. instead of gripping it as if your shaking a hand, he told me to "hold it in my fingers and leave a 'space' "
    He told me it'd help for a shorter swing and for jump smashing. Is this true?

2. cliffordgooi

cliffordgooi Regular Member

Accountant
    1) Slice Drop Shot?
    2) Good to play both singles and doubles

Not sure about what you mean in terms of gripping, but do a search - there are plenty of threads with regards to gripping correctly in different shot scenarios.

3. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

Is it really just a slice-drop shot?
    Whenever i did slices, i didn't remember it requiring such a fast/strong swing..

I'll try to take pictures of this new grip if possible, it's quite hard to explain.

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    cuz u didn't do it correctly, even though every motion is the same, but the contact point of ur racquet is different than the normal shots.

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    oh just to add, fast and strong swing is just to make the shot to be deceptive shot, without that stroke it wouldn't be a deceptive shot and it would be a very normal shot for an average player

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, slice drop shot, where you forcefully cut across the cork and feathers to create a spin, causing the trajectory to die off very quickly after crossing the net.

Should preferably be done with the same motion as a clear or smash, in order for it to be deceptive and dangerous to your opponent.

7. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

So theoretically, it'd always be better to hit a slice instead of a regular cross-court if your able to?

8. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    Not really the chances of a slice going over are a lot slimmer than a normal cross court drop, and it is slower. So using the shot is not only difficult but risky.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

No, because your unpredictability will be more dangerous to your opponent than the same shot over and over again, even if you're very proficient at that shot.

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As others have said, the key to the shot working is variety. It could be called a sliced drop, but if its very forceful (like the power of a smash) it could be considered a slice smash (landing in the midcourt area, not forecourt). It is useful to be able to play both sliced cross court shots and regular cross court shots. The beauty is, you could (once you learn to slice the shuttle both directions) look as if you were hitting cross court, and actually hit it straight. In this way, your opponent will have trouble reading all your shots! Some look straight and are straight, some look cross and are cross, and others go completely the wrong direction.

Good luck for the rest of your training!