New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

What? I was actually being quite genuine with my question in the previous post. How exactly are you measuring "relative success or merit"? Again, this is a genuine question, as I'm curious. As far as I understand, the Z-Slash is still being manufactured by Yonex. I'd assume this means many people like the Z-Slash, despite both me and you not liking it etc. My understanding is that the Z-Slash was designed a lot for the smash. I know some advanced level players in my club that praise this exact quality.

Would it be far to say that relatively, a beginner would probably dislike the MX80, as it's too stiff etc. Does this mean that relatively, for beginners, the racket is flawed? In my opinion, I don't think so. Again, it is the player that is flawed.

2. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Has anyone tried the 3U and the 4U MX80? Just wondering what people's opinions are of the comparison.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Not sure I have the time to answer that properly this morning, but if you were privvy to the lead-up and launch of the Z-Slash, you'll find it fair to say that Yonex had a lot resting on the ZS as a Hero product and it fell well short of that, especially with core users. It's marketing fell in a big hole, with nobody believing the merit of TBH's 'smash speed record', and most people hated the colourway (one of my favourites, for the record). The user reviews on it on this website were shocking, and many flooded onto the Buy&sell in the first few months of release.

I think if you spoke to Yonex and they were honest about the release of the Z-Slash, they'd do things differently - including the design of the racket. From my perspective as a product designer, it's flawed because the hype didn't match the reality, and functionally the power and speed equation came at the expense of sweetspot and playability for the vast majority of buyers, and the looks were too post modern for the conservative Asian market.

I could go further but I'm outta time :) Suffice to say that there's no such thing as an 'unflawed' person, nor 'unflawed' product. One is the product of the other, of course.

4. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

May I know how thick is the racket head of MX80?

5. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    What is a cross-sectional analysis going to tell you?

6. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

From my very limited physics knowledge, a thinner bean is slight(just slightly) more capable of giving a faster swing. Even rackets have same spec, a different bean width feels different. And I prefer something thinner. It's just my personal feeling, it doesn't mean it is suitable for everyone.

7. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    It's a quick racket. It's more of a doubles racket put on steroids to become a great all-rounder, rather than a beefy singles racket put on a diet.

I'd think that anyone who played with it and thought it was too slow, it would probably be better off with something with a lower balance point, rather than it being some design issue.

8. Bigfatsiu

Bigfatsiu Regular Member

Yes you are right, I should have asked something more useful. But I think balance point can be easily changed by using lead tape or difference over grip. Of course, it cannot be changed a lot.

I am seriouslynthink of the MX80, might get one in the coming days and share my views here

9. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

So far my MX80 is good, only thing is it's frequently being hit by other racquet LOL ~ And keep getting some paint chips on the racquet. Good thing is I'm not selling it. Otherwise, the value will drop for sure :p

10. foo.ys

foo.ys Regular Member

Would like to get opinions between the 3U and 4U MX80 too! Anyone? Thanks!

11. Marpan

Marpan Regular Member

I would love to know also about the 4U compare to the 3U.

I have just brought my MX80 3U yesterday and cant wait to use it tonight. I saw the 4U at E-Link sports in Singapore but never had a chance to hold it.

When I hold the 3U it does feel more head heavy than YY 900P that I current have.

12. avengers88

Not much difference in my opinion .. the 4U and 3U difference is bout 3g tops iinm. If u strong enough to swing a slightly heavier racquet then take 3U as u probably will get more power out of it. If u dun wan to use much strength to produce a slightly lower power than 3U then take 4U. All in all MX80 is a fast racquet. So no problem at up, up to ur own preference.

13. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    How was ur racket bro?no regret to trade off vt80 for that? :)

14. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    My new UK coded 3UG3 MX80 is a good 4-5g heavier than my TW coded 3UG4 MX80 lol. It's also slightly less head heavy.

15. avengers88

No regret samsudd. It's all good. Sometimes having a too powerful racquet is not too good ( VT80 ) . Oh yeah naim, maybe it's because i took the heaviest 4U which is at 85g. But i remember eric stated that not much difference between 3U and 4U ! All in all , very good racquet :D

16. Marpan

Marpan Regular Member

After using my MX80 last night and comparing with my other rackets. (SW35 and BS11) I can safely say that MX80 is better than both combined and is awesome!!!!!.

Is got the power of SW35 and agility of BS11. I can use it for doubles, Mixed and singles. I dont have to go and buy a different racket for each. I have also managed to tried my friends VT80 but it just too heavy for me. I have been a YY fan since I started playing six (6) years ago and only until last year is when my friend started pushing me to Victor BS09, SW35 and BS11. I am a little disappointed with Yonex in recent years with their racket development. (cost & new range of racket).

A friend of mine told me that, I should get a racket that is for my game and Victor MX80 is the one!!!!. It is user friendly and does not need a manual. I am a little puzzle that I have requested the tension to be 26lb but it feels like a 30lb. Even so, I can clear, net, drops, drives and smash with real confidence.

Cant wait to play again tonight....

17. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    lucky u bro....to ur success :)

18. foo.ys

foo.ys Regular Member

@ avengers88

Hey man thanks for the inputs. Guess MX80 is next on my list of "to get" racquets. I've found the switch from NS9000x to VT80 a tad huge in terms of the physical demands. Am looking to try something less head heavy with a stiff shaft and I guess the MX80 fits the bill. I do enjoy playing with the VT80 so I'm hoping the MX80 can assist in the transition to a head heavy racquet while I improve on the physical and technical side of my game.

@ Marpan

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new toy! Can't wait to try out the MX80 myself!

19. ishahloveain

ishahloveain Regular Member

Customer Service
    Will mx80 suit a beginner? And is SGD $210 a gd price for a new piece with bg66?

20. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    it is cheap...get it before it's too late. here more expensive...