Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by Loh, Apr 27, 2011.

1. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    DULL? yup...very.. more than that..

walk-over...

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan apologised to very disappointed fans

An official announcement that LD has given a walkover to team mate Chen Jin in the MS final.

Both of them went into the court and LD held the mike to say he was sorry he could not play the final as he was sick. :confused: I just wonder whether he would say the same if PG plays him in the final instead of CJ? :rolleyes:

As a way to reduce the disappointment from the vocal and hostile spectators, he signed on some souvenir small hand bags and threw them to waiting fans.c:(

He has left a very sour note to many who paid to see him play. :mad:

And they still posed for the presentation ceremony. :D

3. sen

sen Regular Member

I hope Singapore media would put a big story about it tomorrow. Include fans comment. And for Channel News Asia, include video of spectators booing.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Singapore fans are too cultured. My friend invited me to go and watch and luckily I didn't.

5. eddietheng

eddietheng Regular Member

Agreed with you guys

6. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

CJ needs the point for Olympics, Lin Dan will get to this stage more often, CJ won't when LCW and other guys are good form.

7. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    yulianto's net game is neutralizd by the chinese, he is having hard time nw unforced error is remarkable

8. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    Big ******** craps frim China Side. Gastroenteritis after beating PG.

9. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    chinese gaining confidence more lead by 6 in 2nd set

10. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    What kind of attitude is that. LiNing players and they are playing in LiNing tournament.

11. miksss

miksss Regular Member

I thought that Alvent/Hendra are just too exhausted after last week played in Thai Open final, and yesterday they win their match in rubber sets.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan pulls out of Li Ning Singapore Open final

Jun 19, 2011

[​IMG] Lin Dan withdrew from the men's singles final match of the Singapore Badminton Open Tournament due to illness. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

SINGAPORE - CHINA'S reigning world champion Chen Jin won the Li Ning Singapore Open badminton men's title on Sunday without hitting a shuttlecock after compatriot Lin Dan withdrew from the final due to illness.

Lin, the world number two and Olympic gold medallist, had gone to see a tournament doctor who confirmed he was suffering from gastric flu, tournament officials said.

The 27-year-old had advanced to the final after beating veteran Dane Peter Gade in three tough games 20-22, 21-17 and 21-15.

Lin, or Super Dan as he is known to his legions of fans, is the most decorated player in badminton history, having won almost every major title in the game including the world championships, World Cup, Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, Asian Games and Asia Championships titles. The Super Series season-ending tournament is the only prestigious trophy missing from his cabinet.

But having reached the Singapore final the Chinese ace shuttler was already assured of overtaking the Super Series leader, Malaysia's world number one Lee Chong Wei.

This is the first time Lin has pulled out of a tournament final. The 7,400 spectators at the Singapore Indoor Stadium expressed their disappointment when Lin's pull-out was announced, and were not appeased by the Lin Dan autographed pouches given out. -- AFP

#272 Loh, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14956

14. 14players

14players Regular Member

Engineer
    Those who have bought the ticket for sunday 19/06/2011 to see Lin Dan play is sure dissapointed.
    In my humble opinion, he has no sportsmanship.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan, Santoso put on a show

Chinese superstar wastes five match points, but comes through in the end

[​IMG]
    by Low Lin Fhoong
    04:47 AM Jun 18, 2011

SINGAPORE - Simon Santoso used every trick in the book against Lin Dan last night, and so good was the Indonesian shuttler he stood on the verge of one of his biggest wins.

Down 20-15 in the rubber set, Santoso hauled back the tournament favourite in the men's quarter-finals of the US$200,000 (S$247,000) Li-Ning Singapore Open 2011, putting on a display of fearlessness and stunning skill to level the tie up at 20-20.

The momentum was all with his opponent, but Lin Dan proved why he is regarded by many as one of the greatest badminton players in the history of the game, collecting himself to win the next two points and book his spot in the semi-finals.

Speaking in Bahasa Indonesia, Santoso, the 2009 SEA Games gold medallist, said after the epic clash: "Of course, it was frustrating not to win this match after coming so close, but I had nothing to lose so I went all out.

"Despite the result, I'm very satisfied with my performance because I used all my tactics and strategy. He is great at playing critical points, and a very steady player. Of course I wanted to beat him, but I hope to beat him next time."

The 6,400-strong crowd at the Singapore Indoor Stadium were treated to a thrilling 60-minute encounter, with the unseeded Indonesian, ranked No 11 in the world, claiming the first set 21-14.

Lin Dan, the world No 1, stormed back to win the second set 21-13 to set up the climax in the final match of the night.

With chants of "Go, Lin Dan," and "Indonesia, Indonesia" raining down from the stands, both shuttlers traded point for point early in the third set.

Santoso had never beaten "Super Dan" in seven encounters since the 2004 All England Open, and it looked as if there would be no change to the script when the Chinese pulled away to reach 20-15, but Santoso fought like a champion and nearly pulled off an improbable upset.

The 27-year-old Chinese superstar said: "The Singapore stadium is not an easy competition ground to play in. I was about to lose in the third set but I still felt relaxed.

"I think the fans were the happiest today because they enjoyed themselves.

"I will give a good fight tomorrow and try to play my best badminton."

Denmark's veteran player Peter Gade, who defeated China's Du Pengyu 2-0 (21-15, 21-15) to reach the last four, knows he has a huge challenge today.

The 34-year-old, who has beaten Lin Dan just three times in 16 encounters, said: "He's a big favourite and I have to fight at my best and see what happens. We know each other very well ... he can do everything, he plays every shot and that's the toughest thing."

Singaporean interest in the tournament ended yesterday when Gu Juan's dream of a semi-final berth was dashed, after the 21-year-old lost 2-0 (21-17, 21-12) to China's Wang Xin in the women's singles.

Said Gu Juan: "My opponent was very strong and very fast and I was a little weak in my attack. I think my strategy and tactics let me down today."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lin Dan proves why he's badminton's No 1. AP
    Copyright © MediaCorp Press Ltd

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I saw the booing part in the sports news on tv3 just now..

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Err...NOPE. Olympic qualifications start with the MAS GPG, followed by Sudirman Cup, Thailand GPG, and Singapore SS.

#278 badMania, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

This is only the SUPER SERIES RANKING pts, which is DIFFERENT from the WORLD RANKING pts that will be used for the Olympic Qualifications. The WR pts include pts won NOT ONLY from SS tourneys, but also for other lower-level (GPG, GP, IC, IS, Futures) tourneys and Team-Events.

Lee Chong Wei is STILL the World No 1.

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Even after including the pts from Singapore SS, Lin Dan is still ranked below LCW in both the SS rankings and World Rankings. How can he overtake LCW then?