Lee Chong Wei vs Lin Dan at WC 2011

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by george@chongwei, Aug 12, 2011.

?

Who will be the Men's Single Champion for 2011?

1. Lee Chong Wei

100.0%
  2. Lin Dan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    best match of the year 2011?

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Mod, where is the ' like ' button? :)

3. victor_83

victor_83 Regular Member

Sales Engineer
    This meant so much to him. However we're still always by his side supporting him!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back. had to turn it off this morning to lighten the load of the server.

5. ignatio103

ignatio103 Regular Member

it
    he`s talking about his loss to LD due to net play gamble by LD works. But that doesnt mean this loss or win is meant to be
    perpetual. He tried his best and of course dissappointed after the hard work preparations. So he said needs to work toward next championship as the OG`12 just round the corner. He believed on his conviction is to remain focus and not perturbed about this loss as
    other countries has up and coming players to contend with.

6. heqingbluesky

heqingbluesky Regular Member

Despite Li Dan won this game. But the gap between LD and LCW becomes smaller and smaller. LCW will be best if he overcome some negative psychological impact on LD.

Overall, LCW become stronger and stronger when look back to 2008.

7. Builder

Builder Regular Member

Architect
    Closest ever

I can't help admire LD this win. It is a truly "Godly" effort. This time LD won WITHOUT the help of teammates giving away in semi final, WITHOUT the home court advantage of the 08 Olympics, WITHOUT the pressure to prove himself, WITHOUT the on site assistance of his mentor Tong Sin Fu and WITHOUT the help of LCW careless misjudge of line calls in Korean Open. He has to work AGAINST the seemly unbeatable form of LCW and AGAINST LCW's ever stronger will to reach the very top of the profession once and for all. LD's last three points turned the universe around, having caught by LCW's endurance and by his own simple mistakes after reaching the 18 point mark and destined to lose to LCW big time first time. LCW might be suffering from muscle cramps by then but didn't really showed, not until the last two points, when his shots from the back of the court fell short of crossing the net. No one can expect before the game that LD can come back from the long fight against Peter hours ago, to be able to maintain such a high speed and accuracy for more than a hour. Nor one can expect that at each match point against him there isn't any sign of anxiety and agitation. Everything seems so normal and easy to him, just like another day in the office. Only one word can describe it.... AMAZING!
    My prediction is that such incredible fight between the two top guys will not happen again, unless China team does not improve at all leading to next year Olympics, which is altogether impossible. All kinds of favorable factor to LD will re-appear again in London 2012. LCW will remain on top of every possible rankings for the coming year. That's already worth a million congratulations from every one.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    it is sad.... i don't think even Li Mao knows how to beat Lin Dan now... no one knows how to beat Lin Dan at a major event now...

it's sad...

9. Builder

Builder Regular Member

Architect
    Don't know why reply don't show. Post again:

LD's win is enormous. He makes great effort this win, all by his own. He has not got the give away semi-final games by team mates, home court advantage, on spot assistance by his mentor Tang Xin Hu and silly line call mis-judgment by LCW (Korean Open). No one would expect him to go to such distance after fighting that lengthy game against Peter, in view of the opponents' virtually unbeatable form. Mentally, he has nothing to prove. Yet he can turn the universe upside down in the last three points at match point for LCW, without bits of anxiety and agitation.
    My bold prediction is that the two's amazing battle for supremacy has already reached the highest note yesterday. All the favorable factors to LD will reappear in next year's Olympics; Chinese team will improve and LCW has to fight a much harder battle just to get to the final.

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

SURELY. Even before the match i already predicted that this will be the match of the year..What a world class 1 hour and 21 minutes badminton match.

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

a joke

We all heard about Lin Dan’s explosive temper and it’s known and feared by his teammates and coaches, with the exception of Li Yongbo and Tang Xinfu. Since both of them were not on the coach bench during the final it becomes a real dilemma as none of the coaches wanted to advise Lin Dan that may lead to him blowing out and all hells broke loose; and they just have to say anything during the internal in front of the world TV audiences.

So, they came up with a concise and right to the point advice for LD and Coach1 lost the toss and earned the right to talk to LD during the interval.

Coach1 – ‘Lin Dan, our advice is short that comes with only 3 sentences.’
    Coach1 – ‘This is the second one.’
    Coach1 – ‘OK, we’re done.’

12. Builder

Builder Regular Member

Architect
    Nice joke. The only thing the coach said during the intervals: buy me a souvenir when you shop after the match and I'll stop talking!

13. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    The result of this poll glaringly looks at us now to prove that they don't always match reality.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I don't think I saw Li Yong Bo all week, was he there ?:)

Oh, and I read this morning that LCW will play on till the WC in 2013, I wonder if this I'd because he knows Lin Dan will (possibly) retire after OG12, and therefore he still has a chance of winning a WC. Personally I feel that if he won at WC13 without LD there, it would be a hollow victory. Many would say that he only won cause LD wasn't there. And anyway by that time, I feel that there could be competition from others, as current players get stronger.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is actually interesting to compare the result of this poll, which was created after the semifinal, and the original men's singles poll which was created a couple of weeks before.

the difference is that before WC started, more than double BC members voted for LCW (124) than LD (60), while this poll shows a much closer contest, 58% vs. 42%.

personally, i voted for LCW before the tournament began. for all factors involved, all indicator points towads LCW. even when i talk to my friends, i find it hard to support a LD win for this world championships. and esp when i talk to Malaysian friends, when the risk of a "haha, i told you" was too high for me to support LD. ;)

but i didn't vote in this poll. it was just too close to call when the inevitable match finally is around the corner, when we actually face the reality of the showdown, more people starts to think. perhaps, perhaps, LD can still win it.

but at the end of the day, we are human afterall.

16. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    Lin Dan's performance was much more satisfying for me than his constant wins in 2005-2009, because, in that period, Lin Dan was mainly in "God mode" (to quote kwun). I would say that, if you say that all of Lin Dan's matches this year have been in "screwaround mode", he was still only in that mode yesterday: after all, in that mode he was still good enough to beat Lee Chong Wei once this year. I would say that what we saw was simply high-level "screwaround mode". Had Lin Dan been in "turbo mode" (which I think he can still access, and he did for many points during the match), he would have won around 21-17, 21-17. Had he been in "God mode" (which I think he can no longer access for extended periods of time), he would have won around 21-8, 21-7.

He wasn't on any better form or even as good a form as he had been in 2009 and earlier, but I still think that yesterday, Lin Dan was on the best form we've seen him in since 2009. Lee Chong Wei was still very good, playing solidly and the right shots and even using his offensive arsenal at certain points. What impresses me is that, in 2010 and 2011, Lee Chong Wei has been playing marginally better than Lin Dan (who is in "screwaround mode"); yesterday, because of how important the match was for him, Lin Dan pulled out the best "screwaround mode" of his life to beat Lee Chong Wei. That must have taken a really big effort, as well as an iron mental constitution, for him.

17. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

I saw Li Yongbo on the day of the quarter-final, not in the auditorium but in the corridor, giving Zhang Ning, what looks like, a bullocking.
    Here is the picture of it, shot from a long distance.

[​IMG]

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i think him winning this poll really jinxed Datuk LCW....whaddaya think, George??..:confused::eek::crying::p;)

*haven't watched the match, but sounds like it's one definitely not to miss..thank goodness i wasn't around for the heart attack moments at the end..

#138 ctjcad, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I think LD's form in 2010 Thomas Cup was sensational too... Also AG2010

20. bloodwraith

bloodwraith Regular Member

Hm... very nice interpretation of LD's different mode, very interesting. But to be honest, they both played one of the most spectacular game ever. Credits to both for such outstanding performance.
    Well for LCW you are just unlucky this time, better luck next time.
    Personally I think that winning many tournaments gives a better indication of your strength than just winning few so-called "big" tournaments ( NO I'm not a LCW fan).
    The most important thing in my mind is to be consistent. LD and LCW have shown the world either in the past or currently that they both are the two most consistent players ever!