Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think you really should consider Korean Open as well, the all time biggest prize-money tournament also played this year where LD once more defeated LCW.. Fact is that LD has 2:1 in stats against LCW both trough history and also in their encounters this year..

LCW is great but He certainly has trouble with LDs playing style.. LD has similar strength in defence and also little unforced errors but more poison in his attacks. Maybe LCW needs an N90 with strange towel-grip as well, to get through :-D

Also I watched the game, and to be honest it was clear that (in this game) there is no doubt that the better player won. He was trailing and almost caught up in the first set, and that set was dead even.. Then LCW really did not have anything to put up against LD in the second game. And in the third it was very close but if anyone had the margins and calls, on his side it was LCW more than LD.. LD worked hard and it was evident that he had the slightly better physique in the end. I have no doubt that LCW can win OG, and will most likely improve a lot the next 12 months. But I am afraid LD also will be more fit and ready for next OG.. It will be the clash of the giants again most likely!

Overall LD won 7 rallies more than LCW altogether in the final.

#6342 twobeer, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

actually i bet to differ.
    we all know that all of the world champions play with LiNing rackets. but YY always have the better rackets with their years experience and the money they poured into R&D. after the 2008 OLY YY boasted that 23 out of the 24 medals won with their rackets.
    LiNing is still the new kid on the block, their rackets are nowhere near as good as YY's. I reckon that play with LiNing against YY you probably give a 5 pts start to YY due to the inferior of the rackets. but, on the other hand LCW with his 'assessories" carried with him on court (the only player get anywhere near as much as him is probably Wang Yihan, but then she is a girl, isnt she?), he probably give away 2 pts per game to his opponent.

So, it does balance out a bit.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    A bit of clarifying, I did not write "LCW beat LD convincingly in AE this year and lost just by a narrow margin in WC', that post was by Victory and I was replying to his post;)
    You said LD 'had the slightly better physique in the end',with that chisel body, those english chicks (even swedish chicks too) are screaming like crazy, even the late Bruce Lee would say 'not bad, not bad at all'...On N90, you are paying too much kroners, go with APAC Lethal 70:p

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Honestly, over the years, I attended quite a few of those 'motivational' thingie as part of our Annual General Meeting, trade shows I attended....maybe they say you can't teach old dogs new tricks aptly apply...I confessed I learnt little and remember even less of what these high paid fellas said, the only thing I get out of the sessions are the great buffet food during lunch break and I am paid to doze of during the sessions...hahaha!!

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Nah.. He would kill too easilly using a TC700 :-D :-D

I am also convinced LCW could pick up the phone call Mizuno, Li-Ning or victor and surely get some rackets free of charge :D :D

If you compare LD version WC 2011:

View attachment 106304

compared to OG 2008:

View attachment 106305

You can see that LD really was more ripped at OG 2008...

/T

#6346 twobeer, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. victory

victory Regular Member

Who are you to make definition?

If you are true LD fan you should know better what he said. Read some Chinese media.

8. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Putting aside the inflammatory tone of your post, the definition wasn't made by me, I simply paraphrased it from several online sources.
    - the act or an instance of bouncing back, recovering, or recuperating - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bounce+back
    - To recover quickly, as from a setback - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bounce+back
    - to become healthy, happy, or successful again after something bad has happened to you - http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/bounce-back
    - to start to be successful again after a difficult period, for example after experiencing failure, loss of confidence, illness or unhappiness - http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/bounce-back

See, sources!! Which brings me to my next point, the onus is always, ALWAYS on the person who are making the claims to back them up with concrete evidence. Telling me to look for sources to support your argument is simply ridiculous.

9. victory

victory Regular Member

Given your definition of bounce back from you online source, I see all the more appropriate for me to say LCW always bounced back from defeat to beat LD.Since the H2H of LD to LCW is favouring LD, it is right to say LD is having upper hand when facing LCW. Well, given LCW is the one that having all the pressure/difficulty to play LD, isn't it appropriate to say LCW bounced back when he beat LD?

Err......you said recovering, recuperate and recover from setback? No?

To start to be successful again after a difficult period, for example after experiencing failure, loss of confidence, illness or unhappiness---------------- PERFECT FIT for a fighter like LCW.

Wow!! Try to be lawyer huh? Try to show off your arguing skills ya? Wrong place.

10. GoodMorning

GoodMorning Regular Member

Hydraulics & Industrial Trading Supply
    twobeer: That's a relatively significance in the current 2011 and 2008. Back then he was in his optimum and prime time. Now he's married, should be more laid back and relax. On top of that he already achieved so many major titles on his shoulders. Nice pictures you have there:)

11. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

I find the bringing down of LCW ahievements in cyber space really disheartening. He is forever measured against LD. LD is the greatest Badminton player ever. He has won almost everything. However, LCW is the other greatest Badminton player of recent times. Since 2007, he has been the most consisitent player, won the most championships, featured in the most number of finals, played the most astonishing Badminton that we have ever seen and yet we pooh pooh his achievements just because he had lost to LD in OG 2008 and WC 2011.

I remember when he lost the AE 2009, we criticise him for the player who would never win a major. When he won the AE twice 2010 and 2011, we deride the achievement by debasing the prestige of the AE. It seems that if LD wins the AE, AE is a major tournament. I remember LD didn not win the WC until 2006. He only had two AE titles then, we were still in awe of LD before WC 2006 and consider him the greatest ever by callig him super Dan.

How are we going to place Morten Frost and Liem Swee King? Shall we say they were nobody compared to Han Jian, Icuk, and Yang Yang?

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Nadal thought career was over

I thought LCW might want to read the below, which I got from South China Morning Post today..

scmp.com

http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCM...VCM100000360a0a0aRCRD&ss=Other+Sports&s=Sport

-------------

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Nadal thought career was over
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Devastated champion considered becoming a golf professional after being sidelined by severe foot injury, according to his new autobiography

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    Paul Logothetis in Madrid

Updated on Aug 24, 2011
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Devastated and "without appetite for life", Rafael Nadal contemplated a move into professional golf after a career-threatening injury sidelined him, the 10-time grand slam champion has written in his autobiography. The Spanish player writes in Rafa that doctors discovered a rare foot injury in 2005 that had the potential to sideline him for good, prompting thoughts of a future in golf.

In the book, to be released today, the 25-year-old Nadal describes his toughest on-court battles with Roger Federer at the 2008 Wimbledon final and subsequent Australian Open.
    But his off-court problems play a large part in the former top-ranked player's career. The mental toll of his parents' separation hindered his recovery from injuries in 2009, when pride led him to try to defend his French Open title despite his physical problems.
    Still, his lowest point seems to have been when doctors discovered a congenital bone problem in the bridge of his left foot soon after a five-set victory over Ivan Ljubicic in Madrid on his toughest indoor surface.
    Nadal said that joy was soon replaced by "a state of deepest gloom".
    "[The] diagnosis had initially been like a shot to the head," Nadal writes. "The bone still hurts me. It remains under control, just, but we can never drop our guard."
    Nadal wept then just as he did after losing the 2007 Wimbledon final to Federer. But he did not cry on the flight from Melbourne in 2009 when his father Sebastian revealed to the recently crowned Australian Open champion that his parents had separated.
    "My attitude was bad. I was depressed, lacking in enthusiasm. [My team] knew something had to give," writes Nadal, with the weight of those problems leading to his only defeat in seven appearances at Roland Garros and his subsequent withdrawal from Wimbledon. "My knees were the immediate reason, but I knew the root cause was my state of mind."
    Mental toughness - instilled by coach and uncle Toni - is a key theme, especially in his ability to bounce back, including trying for his first victory in three Wimbledon finals against Federer.
    Nadal was "gripped with fear", the warrior figure he'd cultivated had "lost his courage" after failing to clinch victory on several match point opportunities against Federer.
    Nadal credits moments like these for improving his mental stamina, with one chapter even titled "Fear of Winning".
    "What I battle hardest to do in a tennis match is to quiet the voices in my head, to shut everything out of my mind ... should a thought of victory suggest itself, crush it," Nadal writes on the opening page before later adding: "I think I have the capacity to accept difficulties and overcome them that is superior to many of my rivals."
    Toni's "cruel to be kind" coaching strategy was key in developing him into the "tennis machine" he is, comparing his uncle to a figure descended from 16th-century conquistador Hernan Cortes with a Spartan philosophy of life uncommon to his home island of Mallorca.
    "There was no let up from Toni. No mercy," the second-ranked player writes. "I look back at that teenage Rafael and I am proud of him. He set a benchmark of endurance that has served me as an example and as a reminder ... if you want something badly enough, no sacrifice is too great."
    Nadal offers interesting insight into his regimen and his family offers some surprising details about the Manacor native in the 250-page memoir by John Carlin, who also wrote the book that director Clint Eastwood turned into the film Invictus.
    Nadal's mother Ana Maria Parera labels him a "scaredy cat" who sleeps with a light on; an obedient and docile child who became the "family mascot" inside a close-knit family that Carlin describes as "something Sicilian ... without the malice or guns".
    Perhaps the strangest revelation is Nadal's dislike of animals, especially dogs: "I doubt their intentions."
    Of Federer there re mostly respectful reflections of a rival and friend that he calls "a blessed freak of nature" for his talent.
    The closest Nadal comes to criticism is when he says Federer mis-hit a shot "the way an ordinary club player might" while recounting the epic All-England final that delivered the first of his two Wimbledon wins.
    Of current top-ranked player Novak Djokovic, who has beaten Nadal in five straight finals this year, there is trepidation of a "formidable opponent" who is "one hell of a player, temperamental but hugely talented".
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you know why? because Lin Dan was ranked No1 in 2002, before his 19th birthday! that's why the world press started to call him super Dan.

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    LD have won it 4-times, and as other tournaments have grown in prize-money and prestige, and when BWF started to have yearly World Championships, it lost even more of its prestige, being more and more considered just-another-SS tournament. I think All england lost most of its "glamour" after 2008, when WC was helad each year.. Most players feel its more prestige to have a WC title that year than an All-england Super-Series title that year.

Just because All-england was THE most important tournament in the "old"-days, does not mean times does not change....

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

not to mention that Lin Dan won his first world champion at the age of 22.
    if, that's a big if, LCW can win it eventually he wil be in his 30s, or Peter Gade will be in his 40s if he is not retired then.

16. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

If you want to make bold claims, be prepared to defend them, be it on a forum or in real life. Your weak attempt at an ad hominem attack suggests that you have no more valid arguments and thus can be deemed as unworthy of my time. Good day.

17. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

two beer u have just proven my point. U said that players treat AE just another SS series, are U saying that as a professional player on the circuit or as a fan. The AE this year is one of the 4 SS Premier, and LCW have alreay won 2 of the SS Premier. Anyways never mind this gong on ad nauseam.

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, LCW has won AE and Indoensian Open, LD has won Korean Open of the "SS premier". But from a prize money standpoint these tournaments are very unequal..

Korean Open had 1,200.000 USD prize money. Indonesian Open half of that 600.0000, and AE a "measly" 350.000 USD .-).

19. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Do you mean the bouncing back of Lin Dan and lcw aren't the same? Lin Dan bounced back because the statistic say so?And lcw probably win by chance? :)

20. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach