Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    This is why I say sports is first about 'understanding', then comes 'invincibility'.

I believe what LCW asks for is solely for assistance and not to put the 'blame' on anyone else, irregardless of whether there is a source to blame in the first place.

For those who say you need to believe in yourself to be a numero uno, I affirmed that.

For those who say that LCW does not need MS and the current setting is enough for him to get back the gold medal, you are like monkeys sitting on a magistrate's chair and presiding over matters. Who are you to say that LCW has a 'spoonfed' mentality?? If it weren't for LCW being a Malaysian, Malaysia can kiss this potential Olympic medal goodbye.

No disrespect to Seu Bock, Rashid or Hendrawan, because it's just unfortunate that LCW is the victim caught in the middle of the spat between MS and BAM. When things go wrong we all need to be with the people who we feel are what's best for us (whether it's good or not it's debatable) and what's wrong in asking for that? If you demand for it people will say you are bossy, if you ask for it people will say you are smart and playing politics. Grr....

Although I myself also feel that LCW needs to buck up on his confidence level, but heck, every person has a different need and a different working mechanism. Some people are born with independence, and some just need that extra nurturing and a little of fine tuning and tweaking with the screwdrivers here and there. Everyone is different. And LCW belongs in the latter category. He is a humble sportsman. Not egoistical. We all know that from the very tear he shed losing to LD from the early days.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We should find out from LCW what he was thinking about during his battle with LD at this year's All-England when he won in identical straights games of 21-17 in 52 min.

Maybe that was what he needs to do again to handle LD in all their future meetings.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In the same All-England semi-finals he also beat his other CHN rival Chen Long 21-17, 21-13 in 46 min.

Now that was a fantastic mental feat!

Can he replay this over and over again and dare to dream once more?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I couldn't agree with you more.

When Misbun and Taufik went independent, at first LCW wanted to follow and to go like them too. But somehow later, he changed his mind. IMHO, it was a sign of lacking in confidence.

I believe with what you have mentioned; that LCW needs to buck up on his confidence level and we find many people criticizing him. When he loses a match, we find many people criticizing him. When he wins a match, fewer people congratulate him. Somehow there is no balance at all.

I created a thread asking a simple question - Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG? It's amazing that many BCers (many from Malaysia) posted that they have no confidence that he will.

It's being reported that what we have posted at BadmintonCentral are known to LCW himself.

Let's read into LCW's mind - When he finds that even his fellow Malaysians don't have confidence in him and/or support him, it is no surprise that he finds it difficult to buck up on his own confidence. This is really sad. :(:(:(

#7124 chris-ccc, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Chris, i am with you.
    IMHO, in LCW's mind, staying with BAM is for safety purposes, the government body is there. LCW also concerns about what media will response, if things really go bad..

#7125 Licin, Dec 27, 2011
  6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Cobalt doesnt understand malay, he only gets articles from English sources. But his high interest in Msian badminton is as if he's Msian, lol.

Misbun is really(X10) pissed with BAM. The underlined part says it all - it should read "This request LCW made is not that difficult, but to clean the sediments/dregs is hard. When I wanted out last time, there were sediments that needed to be washed. Then it's clean, then sediments gather up again & have to be washed.":D

#7126 eaglehelang, Dec 27, 2011
  7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    "Your humble servant,
    Chong Wei
    "

That's Chong Wei's underlying problem.... he thinks he should be a humble servant..

Instead, he should think the complete opposite... he should think his opponent ought to be his humble servant... he should think of himself as a Lion...

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think MAS fans were not confident that LCW could remain WR1 before LOG was mainly because of his inability to defeat LD more times after AE and he even began losing to CL. Of course if LCW's form continues to drop in the new year, fans will be very concerned.

LCW should take responsibility to stop the rut and take this challenge and opportunity to regain his fan's confidence by telling himself that he could repeat his AE feat when he defeated both CL and LD consecutively to win the title.

I believe MS was not with him then since he resigned in January and the AE was in March.

So LCW you can do it! Just think back on what you have done then when both of China's top players had to surrender to you! Do you dare to win?

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Actually, the Malaysian press do care for LCW. They do respect LCW and care about him (from what I have read in the news). They asked LCW with polite questions, and they do not challenge him with silly questions.

From the questions they asked LCW, like if he wanted Misbun back as coach, if he wanted to go independent, how long he wanted to rest before his next tournament, and other questions of concern; we find that the press do not put pressure on LCW.

I am sure the press will support LCW in whatever he wanted to do.

Somehow, I feel that BAM people care less about LCW's concerns/wishes. Just read carefully into this news;

When the press asked LCW if he wanted Misbun back as his coach, LCW said yes, any help is appreciated. But when the press asked the BAM people will LCW be able to get Misbun back, they said LCW has not told them about this matter yet.

Let's be real; If the BAM people read the news (like any of us do) and they don't approach LCW to talk about this matter, how can we say that they care for LCW?

Furthermore, we read that BAM people (in other news articles) saying that they would resign if Misbun is back.

There is so much politics being played inside BAM. This is unreal.

Unfortunately, LCW is stuck in the middle of this mess.

I also respect Misbun with his honest answers (to the press) when asked if he would return to help LCW win the 2012 Olympic GOLD. Misbun said thanks, but no thanks. It's because he only wanted to be involved in Badminton, and not interested in playing politics.

#7129 chris-ccc, Dec 27, 2011
  10. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Oooops! Pardon me Cobalt, it was never meant to be stab in the back. It’s unfortunate that you thought so and have to come back at me with a hammer.:crying:

Words and expressions can be misleading. I’ll have to start improving on that.

I’m cool, so how are you?:)

11. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Hey Pakito,

Your command of English is top notch and you have proved yourself to be righteous. But unfortunately not every BC member is same. Therefore, we are bound to see poorly expressed point of view. The general of thumb is to be tolerant and respectful to upkeep a harmonious and friendly environment.

Overall your insights are excellent but the only blotch is;
    Everyone has the right to any point of view. But branding fellow human beings as animals? What in God’s name your own being are you trying to prove? If there are monkeys around here, there will be gorillas wishing to bully them too.

You see? If there is any specific restriction to freedom of speech and rule for language proficiency, we wouldn’t be able to see all these arguments and hypotheses flying around. In a more stringent sense many of us should be banned.

To clear the air about LCW;

Not that his fans have no confidence, it looks more like he himself has no self confidence. He has everything that is worth fighting for. But it’s a battlefield out there and everybody is fighting hard. He has the resources and is up to the mark. But the problem is; if he is not determined and not tough enough, he will still be crushed.

It’s a battlefield here as well. In fact any thread regarding LCW is a battlefield. Everyone wants a piece of the action to prove a point. But I find nothing here that’s worth fighting for so, I’d rather be gone.:(

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :D:D:D I'm cool! Just tweaking your tail.... and extending that analogy... :D:D:D :p:p:p

#7132 cobalt, Dec 27, 2011
  13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Well the points are getting closer for sure. Not it is a matter of how they want to manipulate/control the position. Either CL will play LCW in Semi OG or LCW will meet the chinese in the finals only (OG). What do you think? ;)

14. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    I have been having some good reading here in BC and firstly, I thanks you guys for your worth reading arguments and opinions. Some I do agree and they definitely makes me think out of the box, makes me ponder around and not to succumb to very narrow thoughts. Yes, LCW has to do something about his weakness. Only he knows what's going on when he lose to CL. We can only assume from what we saw. That can be just about everything you guys describe here. I believe he has the passion, I definitely do. He is to me, the only current badminton player MAS got that holds such great passion in the sport and that passion has brought him success since. Not sure about the current others though (Juniors excluded cos I'm gonna be fair and give them more time).

About the press, while some seems to be conveying exactly what's being told and seems to be pointing fingers to BAM, I have this one press (K****) I always think a rubbish. Until the sport reporter stop writing nonsense, perhaps my opinion will change.

Back to LCW, I fervently hope he enjoys his game like he used to. Only then we will be able to watch a really great match. And I believe he will then succeed. Pressure is something we ourselves can't easily get rid of. It takes a lot of effort to convince ourselves that we could do better, and to be confident in everything we do needs daily reminder. After such efforts to built back our self-confidence, still our past failures and mistakes will once in a while come visiting and again, make us doubt ourselves. Don't know about you guys but I have that moments in my life. And it makes me flinch and makes me feel so stupid, so inept, so hopeless. Perhaps this is the case with LCW. We are human after all. We are not perfect. Perhaps we could stop asking for perfection for someone as human as we are. I just hope he could maintain his composure on court and during the match. Hope he can continue to believe in himself, (screw BAM) and earn more success in the future, OG Gold notwithstanding.

Maybe in the future we all could invest together and take over BAM, with the sanction from PM...national interest... hehehe... foolish dream, I know...:D:D:D

Cheers!

15. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    OT: Sis, your mailbox full cannot reply. Check visitor msg. :)

16. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    According to last Saturday's Metro:"Six Chinese coaches studies LCW...." Seriously? Six? I cant help but feel proud yet sympathize LCW at the same time.

Recent news also states that LCW's schedule might include a couple of GPG tournaments. Is it really worth it for LCW to compete in GPG even if it is for points sake? Shouldn't he focus more on SS and training instead?

17. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I wonder if some of these reports can even be taken word for word :D

Or is it that the Malaysian fans are really such gullible?

18. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    LOL In my luck, they might add the numbers to "Eight Chinese coaches..." if 2012 not going LCW's way (god forbid)...

19. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

You can have 1000 coaches study LCW but it does require the player to execute the game plan perfectly. Otherwise Chen Jin would have a better H2H with LCW...

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Same goes for fans of other players/countries. Some China fans can believe the media reports/quotes of LCW's interview (often times only 1 media report the English press) & start to critize LCW immensely,which has happened many times. Or read a LD interview & believe it. If they also believe the articles, then cannot say other people gullible. ;)

#7140 eaglehelang, Dec 27, 2011