YONEX ArcSaber 5DX & 8DX iz DA BOMB!!!!! Forget ARC10, 7, 5DX & 8DX is where its at..

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I just picked up a Yonex ArcSaber 8DX at my local store. I got it stringed with BG 66 at 23lbs and OMFG

This racquet is a DREAM COME TRUE.

My smashes are so heavy and fast, I also feel good as the racquet is quiet shock absorbent, and it made a big popping sound (with Yonex Marvis 300 Blue).....

My drop shots works like a dream, and I could counter most of the smashes effortlessly without the shock straining my wrist.

The clears are good both under and overhands... So satisfied with this purchase.

I also tried the Yonex ArcSaber 5DX at the store which was already strung by the store owner, I don't know the string nor the tension used though, but it feels EXTREMELY SIMILAR to my ArcSaber 8DX..

I am extremely happy with my purchase, and also at this point in time, I am confident with the racquet since no one in my club can call my racquet is a FAKE since from my knowledge, no fakes for the 5DX & 8DX has been produced.

I also tried the ArcSaber 10 and ArcSaber 7 for comparison before I bought my 8DX, and I found the ArcSaber 7 is on par with the 5DX & 8DX (except the Yonex's recommended tension, on the DX models are 27lbs).

The ArcSaber 10 on the other hand was not so good. It poorly compared to the 5DX & 8DX. The head heaviness of the racquet sometimes strain my arms when I was swing around in the store.

I am upgrading from a Yonex MUSCLEPOWER 21, and in my opinion, my MUSCLEPOWER 21 is much easier to manuver than the ArcSaber 10.

Right now in my badminton bag, I have:

1. Yonex Voltric 70 (Made in Japan)
    2. Yonex ArcSaber 8DX (Made in Japan)
    3. Yonex MUSCLEPOWER 21 (Made in Taiwan)
    4. Yonex Isometric 24VF (Made in China)
    5. And Of Course, my 10-years old WILSON Attacker I bought from Wal-Mart (Made in China)

I still carry my WILSON Attacker I bought as my first racquet when I was in grade 6 elementary school.

I changed the grip on the WILSON Attacker, and it makes a great practice and weight training racquet. The quality of the WILSON Attacker is not bad at all since after 10 years of usage, all I got are scruffs, and a lot of chipped paint and a little bit of rusting. Nothing is broken, or deformed, the frame is still holding up well. The string on this bad boy is at about 21 lbs.

Anybody on the forum owns a

ArcSaber 5DX/8DX ?
    ArcSaber 7/10 ?
    MUSCLEPOWER 21 ?

How do you like it?

2. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Hi

what is your comment on your Voltric 70 ?

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I believe he would prefer his Arc 8 DX, since VT70 is just not deadly & faster than Arc 8DX..

4. Ambushes

Ambushes Regular Member

I own an Arc 7 and for some reason it feels amazing right now. Can't put it down.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You kind of lost me with the "Yonex Marvis 300 Blue" :rolleyes:

6. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Me too, somehow.. but well. ;) Ar5Dx and Ar10 are different, hence you have to adjust timing etc.. and get used to it.

I wouldn't make judgement that fast, it seems that Arc5DX and 8DX just suit better resulting in better result while playing.

7. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    @twobeer

Lol typo, I still like to call it Marvis, it rolls off my tongue smoother lol.

@Ambushes

I tried the Arc 7, and its feels very similar to the Arc 5DX and 8DX. I know how you love the feel of it lol.

@sFrog

Yeah, I think you are right. It is just a matter of personal choice really. There is not BETTER racquet or WORSE racquets. Its just about which racquet fits and feels good in your hand. I know some people on this forum that follows the "TREND" of racquets and buys the more popular racquets or just buying racquet that he/she knows their favorite badminton player is using. But at the same time, they might have gotten a racquet that may not be suitable for them to use..

Anyways for me at least, I do not really like the head-heavy racquets since my shots are slower and my arm and wrist gets stressed more. That is the exact reason why I am using my MUSCLEPOWER 21 and my ARC 8DX more rather than my VT 70.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's probably not about the typo, but the fact that you use plastic shuttles. The feeling is just not comparable to feather, and neither is the performance.

9. kristian

kristian Regular Member

I agreed. For me 8DX also the best arc saber line Racket. It Fast and had a Great Smash.

10. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

The problem with feather is the place I play (which is in the highschool) do not allow feather birds since they said no one will clean broken feather fragments off the floor.

Also, I tend to like the plastic shuttles. In Canada, most of use use yellow plastics for recreation anyways since the lights used in highschools and YMCAs are all white spotlights.

Yep, ArcSaber 8DX and 5DX are some of the best ArcSabers out there....

I saw one of the members did a racquet listing from the best to worst for the ArcSaber line and the 8DX was ranked 3rd last, and the 5DX was at LAST PLACE on the list???!??!?

Whoever created that list did not really use the racquet, OR it may be just biased based on his/her (the member) own feel that is if he actually owns/tried all of the Yonex racquet lineup......

11. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

You lost me already with your title. "DA BOMB" "Forget blabla..." :rolleyes:
    Good for you, if they match to you that well.
    I just can tell you: Arcsaber10 needs to be played more than once to really know its capability. I wasn't impressed too when I tried the Arc10 for the first time. Especially it felt kinda heavy for the first few times.
    But now, I know it's one of the best balanced rackets ever. Everytime if I change to Arc10 I know: Wow... It's real a solid racket.

12. Robin76

Robin76 Regular Member

Does the 5DX and 8DX really feels so similar? T hats interesting.
    The stiffnesses are specified: 5DX=medium; 8DX=EXTRAstiff
    I would expect a significant different feeling....

13. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Yonex's description is not tht accurate, and so is the Yonex Racquet charts.

You will know when you actually feel the racquet stiffness at the store. I feel the 5DX is bit stiffer than medium stiff. And my 8DX is not as stiff as my friend's MusclePower 99.

14. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

good to know. what is your playing level?
    and arc 10 has many fans as well. rackets performance depends on the individual.

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Static bending of the shaft doesn't tell the whole story about stiffness.. Especially today with tapered-shafts, shaft-lenghts, wight+balance, different composit materials, etc. Best way is always to try the rackets for real :)

16. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    @twobeer

True said... Best way is to try it and see if you like it for your personal taste.

BUT, the problem is that these high-end racquets like the ARC 5DX and 8DX, there is no string... So you have to waste some money on stringing, and if you do not like it, you have to waste the new strings you bought but cutting it out and return it to the store.

Also some stores do not except returns if you open the plastics on the handle, so you might have to waste another 5-10 bucks to get grip and grip tape to use it over the plastic grip wrapper.

@ [​IMG] Alapongtai

My playing level is Intermediate-Plus, leaning towards the Advanced level.

17. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    OKAY GUYS, I just exchanged my ARCSABER 8DX to a ARCSABER 5DX.

I got around $20 back, and bought a grip and another tube of Yonex Mavis 300 ($15 at SportChek).

I feel the 8DX and 5DX is almost the same thing when it comes to stiffness (just by feel, not by play)..

I will get the new 5DX stringed after the New Years and see how it actually perform on the court and how similar it is to the 8DX.

Not to mention with the 5DX, you can get 2 colors, metallic/glossy orange or magenta.

When I first tried the racquet at the store when I still had my 8DX was OMFG, the paint job on the 5DX is WAY TOO REFLECTIVE AND SHINING. It is not on the same scale as the VT-80. The 5DX has almost a mirror-like paint on the orange portion, and more of a standard gloss paint on the other portions. I am more of a matte guy lol.

I like how the paint is matte on my MusclePower 21

Anyone here has a 5DX and a 8DX?

How does the 5DX feel for you?

I can't wait to string it and use it on the court....

18. kiradeathnote

kiradeathnote Regular Member

student
    I have the 8dx and it's totally not my way of playing.
    Way to stiff and it feels heavier than the arc 7. But my shot are good in one of another way.
    I prefer the arc 7 more cuz the flex so i can do more and yes I dont have many muslce's :p. So like many here already told it's that you need a racket that fix you and in my case I like the 7 more than 8dx. Problem is that my 7 died and I am looking for a new similair/better one. So was thinking about the nanoray 700 fx or VT 60.

So for not going to much off topic which of these 2 is kinda like the arc 7?

19. ns9900

ns9900 Regular Member

arc 8dx... yes, very very stiff racquet. as posted previously, i still feel it is stiffer than ns9900, till today. took me abt 6 mths to get used to it, and to properly flex it. until then that i realised the amt of power 8dx can produce. before that, it just felt like a baseball bat to me... :crying:

but key to drawing out 8dx's power is nothing more than improving your forearm strength. no shortcut for me... :( i believe that applies to most other racquets as well. :)

my 8dx is quite heavy for a 3u racquet. bp=288mm. strung at 25x27 lbs bg66um, with yonex supergrap overgrip... i like this racquet, but i don't think it is a friendly racquet. these are just my own personal opinions. cheers! ;)

20. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Since you do not want something way too stiff like the ARC 8DX, maybe you can try the ARC 5DX since it is bit cheaper (not by much) and it is a bit more flex. And it is also a little bit more even balance than the 8DX.

@ ns9900

Lol that is the reason I exchanged my ARC 8DX to the ARC 5DX after using it for a little while.

After actually using the ARC 5DX with strings, I feel I like the 5DX just a tad little bit more.

I also fee YONEX should release some of the other popular models with the -DX models since it offers more string tension on the frame @ 27lbs still with YONEX warranty...

I am really looking forward to MusclePower 88DX, Voltric 70DX lol... It is not going to happen is it?..