Most cushioned shoe for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by London_Player, Dec 2, 2011.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Looking for most cushioned shoe around, for Badminton. I am 44 and lightly build but been playing the sport for the last 20 years, feel I could with do with a pair, which gives extra support to my knee.

I don’t wear any additional gear but feel that I have knee pain when playing in hard synthetic surfaces but ok when I play in wooden surfaces, where I normally play.

At the moment I’m wearing Yonex SHB 85 and just now replaced the insoles, as it developed toe holes. Replaced the insole with a Sorbothane one. Will see how it goes tonight when I play.

2. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I personally use Asics Gel Beyond coz' of the very good cushion:

B002N-0190.jpg

3. raksasa.gorgon

raksasa.gorgon Regular Member

Full Time Badminton Player
    try low cut basketball shoes. best of the lot, try Nike Kobe Vs or VIs

4. London_Player

admin
    Thanks for the photo. Can't see this in UK Asics website. When Gel Blast 4 comes out, could give it a try or Gel blade 4, if it releases early next year. Played with the insole, got the insole a bit small and on my right shoe, the insole goes at the front, leaving the heel a short.

5. roulette23

roulette23 Regular Member

Engineer
    See if you can find either Asics Volley Cross 3 or Mizuno Wave Lightning 7. They aren't cheap but better spend on shoes than racquet.

6. paulierand

paulierand Regular Member

For your knees and overall badminton enjoyment, my best recommendation is to:

1. Take glucosamine tablets.
    2. Get the Yonex SHB-SC5EX. It is the most cushioned shoe they offer.
    3. And pair that with SPENCO PolySorb Total Support Insoles.

7. London_Player

admin
    I checked on the internet, they are both volleyball shoes, concerned about thick heels, won't you trip over when you're plaing?

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    There are so many banana shoes to try. ;) Drink kangen water to remove the acid in the knees mate. ;)

9. Maximus21

Maximus21 Regular Member

employee
    I also suffer from knee problems as i've been playing basketball since my teens.then i switched to badminton and the more i felt the need to support my knee to prevent injuries. here are some of the things i follow to "preserve" my knee lifespan for competitive playing:

a) i don't play in cemented floors anymore. i always end up with a sore knee whenever i play at CCs.
    b) cushioned shoes -- have been using Yonex SC5 and Gel Rocket alternately for great cushioning...works well with me
    c) knee support - actually it's knee/calf muscle and leg support. need this especially on my right leg.
    d) MILK =)

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I also have been jumpin for 30 years on badminton. Go easy. Just use the right technique to land or move around the court. hopefully. ;)

11. eddycgk

eddycgk New Member

Have not been experiencing any knee pain after switching from Yonex shoes to Asics Gel Rocket for more than 1 year. Previously when I was on Yonex shoes, my knees can only last for a max 2 weeks before pain started to creep in and I have to stop for a week or 2 before resuming my regular badminton sessions. The knee pain was probably due to the entry-level or cheapo Yonex shoes I used to wear but I have no such problem after getting myself the Asics. Even though the Asics Gel Rocket is considered as a entry-level/mid-range shoes, it works for my knees. Planning to get myself a new pair of Asics Gel Blade 3 to replace my deteriorating Rocket due to wear & tear.

12. Nebic

Nebic Regular Member

Student
    [MENTION=41603]eddycgk[/MENTION] may i know which Version of Asics Gel Rocket shoes Were u using?
    And how long did it last? i was using Yonex Ultima Sc5 Pro and its worn out so thinking of change..

13. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Hi tec badminton shoes used to be really well cushioned, I moved away from them because they were too cushioned for me.

14. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

here are my 2cents:

- stay away from non-badminton shoes, you are prone to get injured sooner or later cuz of the way you move in badminton. I learnt from hard lesson before some pros explaining it to me in details years ago.

- top of the line shoes (i only can speak for Yonex) are not well cushioned since the pros prefer to "feel" the contact than being comfortable. Its closer to the floor. That way they play better. I heard this from some pros and Yonex reps in my country. So since you are not pro and at that age. its better get something with more cushions instead of feel. Its better not being in pain than play better i guess.

- I know the SC line from Yonex has more cushions than other lines. Hence you dont see pros using it. but its recommended for most of us who prefer comfort. Try a few out and decide.

hope this helps

15. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

^ Don't pros need protection? They treat injury seriously. How can they ignore the cushion? I think they mean to find a well-cushioned shoes with lower heel not necessarily sacrifice the protection. Mizuno shoes, as I heard and examined, has closer to the floor than Yonex's shoes, but still with good protection.