No more mix-double for JR and Rikke Olsen

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Johansen, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Johansen

Johansen Regular Member

New danish mixdouble.

The danish national coach has just announced that he will split Rikke Olsen and Jonas Rasmussen. Rikke Olsen will be playing with Carsten Mogensen in the future. Olsen and Rasmussen will play there last tournament at the danish open next week.

Johansen
    www.badminton-nyt.dk

2. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Then who does Jonas get?

3. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

what are the positives of splitting jr and olsen? jr is probably the best danish doubles player in team currently, which is the same for olsen in ladies doubles... olsen splitting up to partner some no name player won't bring her any good results...

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Interesting information.
    Jonas is probably concentrating on the MD after what happened in the olympics...
    About Carsten Mogensen, he is THE upcoming doubles player in Denmark and is extremely talented.
    The only time I saw him play (two years ago) he had some attitude problems though... :rolleyes:

5. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Jonas,

Danish newspapers report today that Steen P, the Danish head coach, does not allow you and Rikke to play together in future - apparently because he wants you to concentrate on the mens' doubles with Lars Paaske.

It is also reported that you have no comments to the decision, which is fully understandable, but if you would like to comment on it at a later stage in this "private" forum, please feel free to do so.

I can only imagine that it must be a difficult situation to handle.. and a difficult decision to accept, especially considering the fact that you and Rikke have won some incredible matches (just remember the Olympics), and thereby showed tremendous potential, but still missed just the final step before being able to win the big ones.. On the other hand, if Rikke only wants to play for another year or two then maybe it is better not to "waste" any more energy in this constallation.. I don't know.. but it sure would be interesting to hear, how you feel about it..

6. flint

flint Regular Member

They say that he'll be concentrating on men's doubles more.

7. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Notice that the press-release also states that the decision has been made against the will of the players.

I wonder how that works..

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    This subject has been started here too.

It is interesting to learn that this was the coach's decision and not JR's... :rolleyes:

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes, the players must be rather angry with that decision... I'm not sure it's good idea to split pairs against player's will! They might be upset and not train as well after that...

10. flint

flint Regular Member

I noticed that this has happened quite a few times before this current one. The coach has split up Rikke Olsen and Michael Sogaard, and he has changed the pairings quite a few times already! I can still remember previously when he split up Sogaard and Laugesen quite a few years back. But the problem was, they were all peaking at the time they were split up! Sometimes the coach really makes some funny decisions.

11. badmad

badmad Regular Member

Don't you guys agree that it's the coach's responsibility to bring the best out of team?
    Then coach's decision might seem incorrect at present but that might have some good effect later on.

For instance, when two chinese players face each other in a tourney, one of them is ordered to lose the match. So that in-form player is not sapped for the next round. Another case would be when Tony Gunawan/Chandra Wijaya were split for 2001AE and had to carry on with a series of parterners.

I don't have much idea about danish team history. :eek:

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Badmad, I think you are right.

The current pairings were there primarily for the Olympics. Now that that objective has passed by, the long term aims have been readjusted.

Carsten Mogensen is really good but maybe he hasn't found his ideal partnerings yet. Switching him around different partners allows the coaches to gauge which sort of partners are suited for one another.

Sorry to say this but JR/Olsen were given the opportunities at mixed doubles and couldn't quite make the breakthrough. Although they had a magnificent victory over Ra/Kim, statistically, this was bound to happen and it occurred during the Olympics.

#12 Cheung, Sep 30, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even the players were at peak, the coach still need to plan for the future, unless this pair is way dominating, and have very good chance to capture gold medals when ever they want to.

Double games are way different than single. 2 top players not necessarily make a good pair. Even they have the potential to be good together, it still takes a much longer time (than single) to be trained and practice together. Therefore, coach needs to foresee the future, and plan way ahead. Also, use a proven veteran to pair up with a young proven talent will help both. The young gun brings in strength, speed, and surprising strokes, while the veteran will provide the experience and leadership.

Of course, there are risks involved, and many times, the so-call "future" fall short. However, if never tried, and just rely on old guns to be totally out of gas, one day, it will be too late to make a change.

14. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Splitting up with Rikke!!

Hi Everyone!!

I bet you´re all dying to hear what´s going on??

It´s right that Rikke and I have stopped our partnership but not by our own will!! Our team of coaches have decided that I should concentrate on my mensdoubles game with Lars and Rikke is to play with Carsten!!

First of all, I would like to say that I´m both disappointed and upset with this decision and I don´t feel that I´ve had much to say in this matter. I think there are many good reasons for Rikke and I to continue to play international competitions together!!

We´ve played a great olympics, despite the last two matches, been among top 8 most of last year, have a good chance of winning a medal in next years world championships, etc.

On the other hand I now can focus completely on developing Lars´and my mensdoubles game to the fullest. Neither Lars or I now play the mixed event and this could turn out to be an advantage in the tournaments that we´re always fresh to play the games and haven´t played tiring mixed games.

This is the two sides of the story and´I think it´s better to play both categories because of the things I´ve listed above!!

Kind Regards

Jonas

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well, that must be a big frustration for you! :(

I find it unfair that you don't have your say, but now all you can do is try and see the positive side of things, concentrate and give your best in MD...
    So I wish you the best success with Lars, starting by retaining your crown at next year's world champs! :D

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Jonas,

that's a real pity!!!

however, you and Rikke will forever be remember as the pair who ended the one year reign of Kim/Ra. i for certain will not forget the morning when i woke up, going through the pages and pages of posting of everyone screaming about it!

did you yourself ever feel that playing the mixed event is affecting your mens doubles game?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Jonas,

You always make the right statements:)

Certainly there are pros and cons. I'm sure the coaches are trying to work out the best combinations. Given the choice of you perhaps playing MD and Mxd doubles and 7% chance of winning either one, they'd rather go for the 25% in one event.

(The numbers are just made up:))

A player in a similar situation is Zhang Jun. Forced to give up men's doubles to concentrate on the mixed.

Can other players acheive success at two events in the same major tournament? I can only recall a few a the moment from memory - Kim Dong Moon at 1999 WC, Gao Ling at 2001 WC, Ge Fei at 1997 WC. On a statistical basis, we can say it is very difficult!

None from olympic games (Gao Ling was the closest in 2000 and in 2004)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    JR, it must have been a big disappointment to you.

But take consolation that in XD, you and Rikke have beaten the best in the world and you can forever cherish that win.

You would agree that the standards are higher all round in every event and will continue to be more demanding. Therefore playing in just one event at such a high level is itself very exhausting not only to the body but to the mind as well. And if you continue playing in two events at those levels in every meet, you will surely be affected rather adversely! It may mean that you can neither give enough justice to both events and consequently fail your respective partners in the end.

Would you rather concentrate your full attention and energies on just one event and win it most of the time or try to spread your risk over two events, hoping to win at least one of them. It is demoralising to you and your partners if you have to work so hard and yet meet with so little success.

It would therefore appear to me that your panel of coaches must have given the matter a great deal of thought and arrived at that final decision not only for your own good, but also for Team Denmark! Concentrate on your MD game with Lars and happy results will eventually come your way. Remember you and Lars were the world No. 1 not too long ago. :)

BTW, we hope to see you and Lars in action at the Singapore Open! ;)

19. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Tough, Jonas! I think you and Rikke didn't get the time to reach your full potential. Pity! But I think you will be back in mixed doubles. Coaches have a way of changing their minds often, and this has proven especially true about the Danish coaches during the last years... :D

Let's look at it from the bright side: this will probably give up-and-coming Carsten "Nuller" Mogensen some much-needed experience of big tournaments. He is a very promising player.

20. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Must say I don't agree with your coach. Not to disrespect any other but IMO you'll *never* have better chances in both MD and XD than *now*. Both due to your own strength/improvment, but mainly if the koreans (Kim/Ra, Kim/Ha and Lee/Yong) are stopping.

/ mats