Yonex voltric 70 or 80 for double? Please advice.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Trilitai, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Trilitai

Trilitai Regular Member

Hello everyone. My skills is average and I'm not really an attacking type of player. More like defensive style who do drop shots once a while. Also, like 85% of the time I will play double only. I heard a lot of great things about the 80 in this forum. But kind of worry about the head heavy and the stiff shaft.

So I'm wondering if the 70 suits my style better with lesser head heavy and the medium shaft when playing double? Also it's tough choice for me because the 70 is like only $20 less than the 80. Should I just go for 80 since the price isn't that much of a difference?

Please give some pro and con about both rackets. Thanks so much! =)

2. Tvbifreak

Tvbifreak Regular Member

Student
    I own the Voltric 80 and tbh I don't really like it, maybe its my play style but I'm extremely offensive and I prefer rackets with a medium flex and a lighter head. The Voltric 70 is a good racket as well, but its kind of like a prototype for the VT 80. I'd recommend the VT 70 :D

3. Benito

Benito Regular Member

For me Voltric 70 is a better double racket.
    Voltric 70 : great speed, good smash, good defense for a head heavy racket, precise for speed drives and clears.
    Voltric 80 : great smash power (better than V70 if you are strong^^), great precision but hard to manoeuvrate in double (for the 3U version, 4U is quite good) and definitively not for defense even if you can defend with it.

4. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Depends on the pace in the game. If it is very high and you don't have much time to react, then maneuverity comes into account and I would choose VT70 4U. Otherwise VT80 4U would be better I think

5. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

for doubles

nanospeed series will b a better choice

6. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

You play defensive and mostly doubles. Why do you ever have considered to get a VT80? ^^

If you're a (lower) intermediate player like me, you won't get used to VT80 that fast. Especially in doubles you need a strong wrist to get the net kills properly. Otherwise you're not fast enough -> pushing shuttle too far or into the net.
    For me it is also a problem to make the backhand clears and drops properly with the VT80.

Notice: It's a VT80 in 4U.

I'd also recommend you something from the Nanospeed series. If you consider to get a VICTOR racket, then have a look at SW37, BS09, etc.

7. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Yea... I agree with the others... Unless you're an aggressive attacker... Don't bother with VT series.. Go for Nanospeed or Nanoray series if you wanna stick with Yonex.

8. peacock.bass

peacock.bass Regular Member

agree..:cool:

9. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

you could also look around for other brands

why does it always have to be yonex o_O

10. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I think you should consider the Nanospeed 9900

11. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

you already contradicted yourself with saying you're a defensive player. means you should really get a even balanced racket rather than the VT. if you're looking for VT to help you to smash, then you should really just look for a slightly more flexible racket to help you with your power shots.

there are very few professionals using VTs as a doubles rackets. However with the VT-ZF there are many more pros using it. So if you must get a voltric you can try get the VT-ZF (maybe 4u) but you need to really beef up your arm exersices :D

12. meteor

meteor Regular Member

In my experience Vt80 3u can be too slow to swing and react in doubles. If you're a devensive player, you need a fast swing - you won't get much of that from vt80 even if it's 4u.
    Having said that, there are reasons (other than smashing power) why certain players would prefer stiff, head heavy rackets for playing doubles - like accuracy and control.
    I would definitely recomend you to play vt80 in a game of doubles before you buy and see how it compares with rackets you are used with. You might be on the wrong track.
    Cheers.