BADMINTON FOOTWORK with JIMMY LIN (16 New Videos!)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thejym, Mar 10, 2012.

1. thejym

thejym Regular Member

There's a bit of footwork in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XrnkvVSCU

L
    et me know if it's not sufficient.

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Every time I look at your name I always read it as "Jeremy Lin." Not sure now many times you've gotten that but of course J. Lin is most oftenly referred to him nowadays =p.

Thank you for all the footwork vids! Especially into the backhand corner to take an overheads. When your shoulder heals up, could you do an instruction video for a jump smash? Specifically focused on the timing of the jump, contact point, and how to coordinate the kick of your legs with your swing. Also if possible, if you could include some kind of method of practicing the coordination.

Obviously you've put a lot of work into your set of videos right now so it's really on your own convenience, but just a suggestion for your next video.

Thank you we appreciate your videos, they're always very clear and easy to understand!

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Thanks I'll definitely throw that on the list. I will actually be working in Palo Alto this summer so if you'd like we could always meet up.

4. fnaibaf

fnaibaf Regular Member

Yes I've got Jeremy Lin as a first look as well. Cheers for the videos Jimmy, clear and concise! Thats alot of effort put in there! Don't do it in one night next time!

For the advanced section, I would like(if possible) the backhand underhanded(shuttle is past your body and not at a good clearance height)clear, the one to get you out of trouble(thats probably unorthodox).

Thank you very much!

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XrnkvVSCU

The key thing to note is that if the shuttle is far past your body, you need to modify your grip to get a bit more power (and keep the shuttle from going out). However, even then you will never get quite as much power as a clear contacted at the right point. Most people should be able to get in a fast drop or drive with this technique though, but few will achieve the full length clear (unless they could do a normal full court backhand clear without too much effort).

6. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Ux7OzYlQ0

It's okfnaibaf, even pros have problem doing this shot, as you can see Andrew Smith did here. Taufik seems to be one of the few who can do exactly what you just said.

Anyways I usually play the Bintang gym in Dublin during the summer, though that's obviously quite a far drive for you from Palo Alto. I'm not too familiar with other badminton gyms that are possibly in the midway point between us.

7. johnnxiv

johnnxiv New Member

Your job
    when I play badminton for the school team my senior year in High School,
    I was taught the foot work to

Forward Forehand
    move forward from Center to Right is Left foot and end with Right Foot

Forward backhand
    move forward from Center to Left is Left foot and end with Right Foot

Is this all wrong?

This video showing the same thing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2piF9P-ULI&feature=related

So when I watch thejym videos, I felt weird, please help

8. Theseed

Theseed Regular Member

Thanks Jimmy!! You are awesome!

9. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I'm not gonna go and say that it's wrong, because everyone has to start somewhere, but it's also not ideal. When you take steps like that, you will be slower than if you chasse (assuming you can chasse far enough to hit the shot). Once you learn how to chasse and practice a little bit, it becomes faster in covering short distances compared to taking steps. Some people will cross their non-racket leg BEHIND their racket leg as they lunge forward -- this is closer to a chasse than if you bring your non-racket leg in front of your racket leg.

You may be able to get away with steps when playing against other players on your level, but as you play people at a higher level, you'll find yourself wondering why the shuttle is hitting the ground before you've finished taking your first step.

10. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Can't agree more. That is why those 2 steps videos are called for beginner.

11. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Are you talking about both corners or just the forehand front corner? if both im going to say that u do use steps to the backhand corner a fair amount and i even see pros doing it.

now for the forehand front corner i completely agree and say chasses are usually used.

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I agree. It's natural for the step to happen on backhand side because the racket leg needs to cross over non-racket leg in order to lead!

13. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Forehand front corner.

14. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Great videos, thanks! Where will you be working in Palo Alto?

15. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I'll be working across the street from Facebook.

On that note, those of you who are avid Facebook users... feel free to hit the like button on my new page :)

http://www.facebook.com/jlinbadminton